Just installed a barnes skidplate - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 55 Old 07-10-2019, 09:57 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
not sure if these pix from the mars rover will help, hard to get a good angle.

Attached Images

bruinjeeper likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 55 Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Helps a lot thanks.

Did you crack your tub? Lol

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #48 of 55 Old 07-11-2019, 03:40 PM
jebmoore
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
@joblty - Is that massaging in addition to a BL. Didn't see you mention if you had one or not.

post #49 of 55 Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmoore View Post
@joblty - Is that massaging in addition to a BL. Didn't see you mention if you had one or not.
1" BL and MML

where are you in San Diego? You could come look at it.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 55 Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 PM
jebmoore
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
1" BL and MML

where are you in San Diego? You could come look at it.

I am in Chula Vista and that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #51 of 55 Old 07-14-2019, 03:37 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Quote:
if you lower the lip at the pan it can sit a little closer. I have a deep pan too.
It sounds like with me being a manual I might be ok with just a 1 inch Body lift.
A number of build threads I have read involve the manuals... the 1" MML and 1" BL got them through. But completely flat, I often saw re-clocking the tcase being involved.
I think adjusting the floor is fairly simple if you can weld. I raised my motor/transmission like 3” higher for a flat skid. I had to cut the floor support to clear the tcase plus cut out where the SYE output is and build a piece to weld back in to keep the ujoint from whacking

I’d suggest that you not hesitate to cut the floor and extend the hump or whatever’s necessary. This was a pretty quick mod and you’ll have nowhere near the clearance issues I made for myself!

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #52 of 55 Old 07-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry Bruin, I didn't see you asking for my experience until now.

MML and BL is 100% necessary. I made my own MML with a couple of aluminum blocks. I really should have just bought the Brown Dog mounts, because my stock mounts are worn out anyway. For a flat skid with minimal clearancing issues I recommend using a super short SYE. Using a standard SYE is what gets a lot of people into trouble with clearing the output yoke. Spend the extra $50 and get the super short SYE. I got a Terraflex unit because JB was out of stock when I was ordering my parts. I haven't had any issues with it.

I have a totally flat plate as my skid/trans mount.
I did not modify the exhaust bracket.
I did not modify the transmission tunnel.
I did not "modify" the floor with a hammer.
I did not modify the transmission mount. I looked and looked, and I really can't see how you can really gain any clearance from changing the mount. It's only a little over 1" thick to begin with.
I did not modify the transfer case clocking. I cannot see how you can gain clearance from doing so. If you clock it down, you'll have to have a taller transmission mount (which pushes everything else up). If you clock it up, it'll hit the floor.

I DID modify the floor support under the driver's seat by cutting a notch into it to clear part of the transfer case. I probably could have cut the transfer case instead. I don't think the part of the case that was hitting is structural.

If I did it again I'd build a separate crossmember that mounts the transmission to the frame, and keep the skid as a separate unit. I'll end up doing this anyway some day when I get bored. My skid is only 3/16" and it's very heavy and difficult to line up with everything.
bruinjeeper likes this.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #53 of 55 Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

not really keen on changing up my SYE for a super short version... should have got that in the beginning - what's done is done.

thanks for the details. all really helpful

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #54 of 55 Old 07-14-2019, 07:19 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sell yours and get a new one. The extra length on the DS is worth it, and so is the clearance.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #55 of 55 Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 AM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
So
I DID modify the floor support under the driver's seat by cutting a notch into it to clear part of the transfer case. I probably could have cut the transfer case instead...structural....
The floor support is structural. I boxed mine after cutting the channel to obtain clearance with 16 or 14 but that’s probably not a big deal structural area in reality.
Granted my situation isn’t like yours, but I had to cut casting ears off the transfer case in addition to clearancing the channel.

Also you are correct - a short SYE probably won’t need the floor cut away and patched for clearance

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in