Jeep tub worth fixing? - JeepForum.com
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
CTJeep24
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3
Jeep tub worth fixing?

1994 Wrangler tub is rusted/sagging and sitting on frame. Is this fixable? worth fixing? or should I look for another donor tub?



Any advice or tips would be appreciated



Thanks Ethan

CTJeep24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 08:04 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler
 
bruinjeeper's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New West
Posts: 6,275
Depends on your abilities, tools, skills workspace context and time table.

Finding a decent tub is a viable option... certainly. Depends if money and time are factors in this equation.

How bad is the rot? (Cannot view.photos...they are blocked)
Awesome likes this.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
bruinjeeper is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler
 
daddyjeep87's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Smethport
Posts: 1,235
Garage
Yep.... what bruinjeep said. I have fixed some pretty bad stuff that other people see as non fixable junk. My truck had no rocker panels or floor when i bought it. I mean none. I could walk in and stand at the steering wheel.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
daddyjeep87 is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
Yep.... what bruinjeep said. I have fixed some pretty bad stuff that other people see as non fixable junk. My truck had no rocker panels or floor when i bought it. I mean none. I could walk in and stand at the steering wheel.
Fred Flinston Mod or someone cheaping out trying to make it ergonomic. Seems sit or Stands for computers are great seems dangerous for trucks though.
daddyjeep87 likes this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
CTJeep24
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 3


Hopefully these pics work
CTJeep24 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 12:21 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler
 
daddyjeep87's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Smethport
Posts: 1,235
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTJeep24 View Post


Hopefully these pics work
nope

I see google in the strange link. Here is how I do it with Google Drive... not Google Pics

right click on the pic in Drive and click "get shareable link"

Here in the forum, click the pic icon and in the box right click and paste

Change the word open to uc

click OK

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
daddyjeep87 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler
 
daddyjeep87's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Smethport
Posts: 1,235
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Fred Flinston Mod or someone cheaping out trying to make it ergonomic. Seems sit or Stands for computers are great seems dangerous for trucks though.
I do use a Veridesk at work. I don't sit a whole lot. I think that would propose some issues while driving. I mean I would have to push the gas pedal with one foot so I would have to hop along with one foot.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
daddyjeep87 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 01:04 PM
Siva283
Registered User
 
Siva283's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
I do use a Veridesk at work. I don't sit a whole lot. I think that would propose some issues while driving. I mean I would have to push the gas pedal with one foot so I would have to hop along with one foot.
So its like some new sit/stand exercise crap. I mean I guess if you want to keep up with the youngins. You should market that you could make a million. If some of these kids wanna snort condoms and lick toilet seats I could see them paying for this modification.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
Siva283 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 6,264
If you are asking, then you don't have the skills to do it if it should be done. If you don't have the skills to estimate the tub on your own, then I would recommend taking it to a professional body repair shop. Not the rip and replace insurance shops that use china as the parts source, but a good old fashioned metal shop. They could give you a quick eyeball and round 'bout estimate for repairs. Most people don't have the tools it would take to effect the repairs properly, but almost every jeep owner is able to swap a tub.

Question is - Which is the most time and cost efficient method to get you a solid Jeep?

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 02:06 PM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler
 
daddyjeep87's Avatar
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Smethport
Posts: 1,235
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
If you are asking, then you don't have the skills to do it if it should be done. If you don't have the skills to estimate the tub on your own, then I would recommend taking it to a professional body repair shop. Not the rip and replace insurance shops that use china as the parts source, but a good old fashioned metal shop. They could give you a quick eyeball and round 'bout estimate for repairs. Most people don't have the tools it would take to effect the repairs properly, but almost every jeep owner is able to swap a tub.

Question is - Which is the most time and cost efficient method to get you a solid Jeep?
C'mon Luuca... where would we all be if we didn't take on challenges bigger than our current skills could handle? Would you be welding a TJ frame to an MJ? You could very well be right in your statement, but lets give the guy a chance to learn a new skill. Hopefully he can get his pics to load soon so we can all give a little more definitive advice.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
daddyjeep87 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 6,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep87 View Post
C'mon Luuca... where would we all be if we didn't take on challenges bigger than our current skills could handle? Would you be welding a TJ frame to an MJ? You could very well be right in your statement, but lets give the guy a chance to learn a new skill. Hopefully he can get his pics to load soon so we can all give a little more definitive advice.
Body panels and floor sections are available for purchase; however, many of the structural pieces on the YJ tub are not readily available and would need to be fabricated. that takes more than just cut and weld tools. Bead rollers, benders, etc.

Not saying he couldn't clear out the garage and load in the tools, metal, and jeep and have a go at it. I'm just saying if you have to ask, usually the answer is no.
daddyjeep87 likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Crazysjeep
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Your moms
Posts: 92
Sure its worth fixing by looking at your blocked images it should just buff out
bruinjeeper likes this.
Crazysjeep is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 03:13 PM
hofferwood
Registered User
 
hofferwood's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Monroe.Mi
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazysjeep View Post
Sure its worth fixing by looking at your blocked images it should just buff out

I looked at them too, and agree.
Maybe he'll trade----whatcha think?? LOL


PB020136
bruinjeeper likes this.

If it aint broke---fix it till it is
hofferwood is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Crazysjeep
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Your moms
Posts: 92
Some aluminum tape and your set
Crazysjeep is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan
 
Luuca's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 6,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofferwood View Post
I looked at them too, and agree.
Maybe he'll trade----whatcha think?? LOL


PB020136
@Boojo35 remember when we talked about bracing, flex-sag when it comes to that rocker section??
bruinjeeper likes this.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Luck Favours The Prepared
Luuca is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome