Jeep + Squirrel + dogs = repair of wires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-28-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep + Squirrel + dogs = repair of wires

My dogs went after a squirrel hiding in the engine bay of our Wrangler and by the time we found out they had pulled out sections of the wiring harness and a few other things hanging down. One being the vacuum lines to the valve that operates the transfer case, another is the part of the luum that goes toward the back of the car and plugs into the gearbox and beyond. Need to replace one fuel line. The wire to the iol pressure sender is broken. The wire to the starter solenoid. The OS sensor plug was pulled apart, but I think it is still OK.

Where can I get the main wire loom that runs to the back of the car and new vacuum lines to the transfer case ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
My dogs went after a squirrel hiding in the engine bay of our Wrangler and by the time we found out they had pulled out sections of the wiring harness and a few other things hanging down. One being the vacuum lines to the valve that operates the transfer case, another is the part of the luum that goes toward the back of the car and plugs into the gearbox and beyond. Need to replace one fuel line. The wire to the iol pressure sender is broken. The wire to the starter solenoid. The OS sensor plug was pulled apart, but I think it is still OK.

Where can I get the main wire loom that runs to the back of the car and new vacuum lines to the transfer case ?

Have you tried Quadratec?

https://www.quadratec.com/

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #3 of 41 Old 04-29-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tip. I didn't expect them to have more than accessories. While they had some wiring, the section I need wasn't one of them. I checked at my local dealer. They have nothing. I think the dealers don't keep parts available after 10 years. Seems pretty short sighted of Jeep.

I may have to look in salvage yards, ebay, or try to patch and resolder the section back together.

The other one, might be tough. I was mistaken about where it goes. It's a pair of thin , stiff plastic, vacuum lines that go to a vacuum actuator on the front axle. I bet it locks and unlocks the axle when you put it in 4WD.

I have to fix the left front side marker, as they ripped that out too. And a fuel line, and.....

post #4 of 41 Old 04-29-2019, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Found the vacuum thing in the service manual. " Command-Trac " vacuum control system. The damaged part looks to be the lines that go to the indicator switch in the dash. I need to crawl around some more to make sure they don't go to the transfer case.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
If your vacuum lines are color coded, simply find some rubber vacuum or washer hose that fits snugly over the plastic lines and cut out the bad sections and slip on some hose.

If you cannot find a wire harness. Solder and shrink wrap is a good repair if done correctly. You should be able to match up wire colors for sure but generally it does not come down to that cause the little buggers rarely chew all the way through the copper.

Some useless trivia. Rodents seem to like to eat wiring in certain vehicles or in certain places but not others. I am told that vegetable oil or the equivalent was used to manufacture the wiring insulation and it makes some wiring tasty to rodents and others not so much.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 41 Old 04-30-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Boojo,

The vacuum lines are both simple black tubes. I do have a question, and can post a picture if needed. There is a vacuum line that starts on the intake manifold, had a T that has one end going into the firewall and the other is held on the firewall until it gets to a spot right above the battery. There is a circular end hanging there that looks like it has a tip that went to something. Maybe the end of the vacuum section I have to fix ? Can anyone with a YJ take a look under the hood and see what should attach to that ?

I am pretty sure the dogs chased the critter up into the engine bay and mangled the wires and stuff, and not squirrels chewing it. They had torn up my fuel lines only a few months ago and I had to have one fixed again, today.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 06:13 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Boojo,

The vacuum lines are both simple black tubes. I do have a question, and can post a picture if needed. There is a vacuum line that starts on the intake manifold, had a T that has one end going into the firewall and the other is held on the firewall until it gets to a spot right above the battery. There is a circular end hanging there that looks like it has a tip that went to something. Maybe the end of the vacuum section I have to fix ? Can anyone with a YJ take a look under the hood and see what should attach to that ?

I am pretty sure the dogs chased the critter up into the engine bay and mangled the wires and stuff, and not squirrels chewing it. They had torn up my fuel lines only a few months ago and I had to have one fixed again, today.
That sounds like the check valve and vent. Its not connected to anything if I recall..

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #8 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 10:23 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Collins Brothers is a large Jeep recycler. They most likely have everything you need. There is also UPFJ Jeep salvage, but they are a little harder to get in tough with. Collins Bros has a web site you can order through.

Make sure you tell them you are working on a Jeep. If you call it a car they may not know what you are talking about. A Jeep is not a car... A Jeep is not a truck... A Jeep is a Jeep.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

Look for the YJ of The Month thread in the YJ Technical Forum. Vote for your favorite Jeeps.

YJOTM August 19
post #9 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 12:20 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I will have to put together an updated list of the ones specific to Jeeps. Use google to start with. Search jeep scrapyards, Jeep used parts and car-parts,com searches all the major junkyards all across the US

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Found the vacuum thing in the service manual. " Command-Trac " vacuum control system. The damaged part looks to be the lines that go to the indicator switch in the dash. I need to crawl around some more to make sure they don't go to the transfer case.

Do you have the Jeep Field Service Manual(FSM)? It will have all your wiring diagrams and vacuum diagrams.

It would be good to know what year YJ you have. Please fill out your Jeep profile. It helps us help you. I have most of the YJ FSMs that you could download. I just need to know what year is your YJ. Send me a PM with what year you have and I'll PM you a link to download it.

Also I just saw somewhere those 4wd vacuum harnesses. I don't remember where though.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #11 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Mr. B. I haven't had a chance to find the manuals. I have so much archived. I think around 10tb.

I used Morris for the 93 FSM. I'm not sure about the 92. I have a bunch of engineering manuals for the 87/90 from Renix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #12 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I grabbed a few shots off the internet.

Top left corner above the battery. Looks like it comes over from the right, and hangs a 90 down.

It's a 1991 Wrangler. I thought I had my profile created, way back when I joined.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I think you're talking about the axle vent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #14 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The line comes from the intake manifold and goes to that spot.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
JohnW63
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mr. B
Quote:
Do you have the Jeep Field Service Manual(FSM)?

Where is the best place to get that ? The service manuals have lots of diagrams. I would prefer that had it laid out as it would be in the Jeep, rather than a logical diagram.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in