Jeep cutoff issue - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-21-2020, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

Jeep cutoff issue

Alright new to this site, sorta hesitant to making a account but I suppose I can help other people out along with getting some help.
Anyway, I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ it was a 4.2 with the Peugeot Warner trans it’s been swapped to a 4.0 but still have the Peugeot which is soon to blow up..
Anyway my problem is when I hit a bump, my Jeep will just shutoff, it’ll crank right up, sometimes it’ll just misfire pretty hard. But I let it sit for about 4 days and now over and over every decent bump it cuts off. Since I swapped the engine (not because of this problem) I’ve put new plugs/ wires/ cap/ rotor and coil in, that was around 4000 miles ago, I’ve also put a new O2 sensor And crank position sensor when I swapped to the 4.0, I’ve inspected everything in the engine while running making sure to jiggle every connector etc that is related to ignition. Not to sure what to do as the Jeep is usually my daily while I’m in the market for a little grocery getter car and a AX-15 before my trans blows. Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-23-2020, 12:04 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i had an issue where my TPS was acting finnicky over bumps... jeep never cut off, but the RPM's did drop significantly, as well as idling at a light - just after releasing the brake and stepping on the skinny pedal - sometimes felt very close to cutting off.

I swapped out TPS' multiple times as i thought new ones i got were bad out of the box. On the last change out, i cleaned and tightened all grounds in the engine bay (especially don't forget the one at the back of the block on the driver's side). Not saying this is your issue, but something to think about. I did get a code for my TPS being out of range during these trials.

Do you get any codes? Have you checked with the Check Engine Light key-turn trick?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #3 of 16 Old 02-24-2020, 07:47 AM
TheStevest

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Have you tried banging on the fusebox with it running to see if anything is loose in there? I had a problem where I had some corrosion on my ASD relay and it would cut out on bumps. It was a royal pain to track down
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

Well this motor was recently swapped so all grounds are new and secure, but I did notice today with the key on the fuel pump kicks on etc, but the fuse box is clicking like crazy, so I figured the ads was freaking out. I pulled it and cleaned the connections and swapped in a spare.. still is clicking like crazy and will still shutoff, maybe a short somewhere?
post #5 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

No check engine and no codes as when swapped I didn’t swap in the interior harness and gauges for the OBD2
post #6 of 16 Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaJeepYj View Post
No check engine and no codes as when swapped I didnít swap in the interior harness and gauges for the OBD2
huh?

WHat year is the donor engine from?

ANyhow forget that - if a relay is clicking and you replaced and it does the same, then yes... you have a short somewhere (but it also could be a faulty/weak ground).

Was the relay verified to be the ASD?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 01:53 PM
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright new to this site, sorta hesitant to making a account but I suppose I can help other people out along with getting some help.
Anyway, I have a 1988 Jeep Wrangler YJ it was a 4.2 with the Peugeot Warner trans it’s been swapped to a 4.0 but still have the Peugeot which is soon to blow up..
Anyway my problem is when I hit a bump, my Jeep will just shutoff, it’ll crank right up, sometimes it’ll just misfire pretty hard. But I let it sit for about 4 days and now over and over every decent bump it cuts off. Since I swapped the engine (not because of this problem) I’ve put new plugs/ wires/ cap/ rotor and coil in, that was around 4000 miles ago, I’ve also put a new O2 sensor And crank position sensor when I swapped to the 4.0, I’ve inspected everything in the engine while running making sure to jiggle every connector etc that is related to ignition. Not to sure what to do as the Jeep is usually my daily while I’m in the market for a little grocery getter car and a AX-15 before my trans blows. Any help would be appreciated!
my 87 was doing the same thing and all it was was the start relay on the firewall passenger side. replaced it and all is well. are you positive its the ba10 transmission? I know they were phasing them out in 88. not trying to insult, ive seen posts where someone thought they had one and turned out to be something else.
EDIT* the nv3550 was the replacement for the ax15. food for thought...

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"
post #8 of 16 Old 02-29-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

The 4.0 is out of a 98 Cherokee classic, and sorry for not replying had to work mandatory overtime, today is my first day I had a little time to work on it, and I’m almost positive it’s the ads clicking, I put my thumb over it while a buddy turned the key and it was tapping, didn’t get much more into it today though
post #9 of 16 Old 02-29-2020, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

I have confirmed it’s the Ba10 when I did the motor swap, by the tag and the distinctive split case down the middle. It’s on it’s way out though, soon to lose first and second gear, but is your 87 4.0 swapped?
post #10 of 16 Old 03-01-2020, 04:20 AM
Blainyj

Dealing with similar issues. Turn key, sometimes the asd/fuel pump relays will click, sometimes not. When they click of course the fuel pump will prime and Jeep will start. When they don’t, no start. It was a progressive intermittent issue that has turned into a continuous issue now. I’m pretty sure it’s a short but just starting the diagnosis today actually. I’m hoping to get some direction from you guys.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have confirmed itís the Ba10 when I did the motor swap, by the tag and the distinctive split case down the middle. Itís on itís way out though, soon to lose first and second gear, but is your 87 4.0 swapped?
mine? no. I have the 4.2 but its fuel injected. the PO changed the transmission to an ax15 as well. it had the original np207 which was grenaded. if youre going to swap transmissions and it has the 207, I would swap that out as well. the only yj it came in was the 87 and it too like the ba10, was a weak link but was still stronger than the ba10. but its possible that yours is the 231 xfer case. they can come in both 21 and 23 spline inputs. the round red and white tag will tell you what you have.

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"
post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

Alright it’s been awhile sorry for that, the Jeep decided to just fix itself so I didn’t post a solution because I still couldn’t find it, it ran well for awhile then the problem came back, I popped the hood, mad cause I was on the side of the road and picked up the pigtail for the crank position sensor and threw it to the side, the Jeep fired right up.. so I hopped out and threw it down again and the engine cut off, the problem wasn’t the connection itself but the little black box on the end of the actual cps I assume was shorting out, not the harness plug in, I replaced the sensor and have not had a problem since.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 07:34 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Great update.

Now you are morally obligated to post ‘wheeling pics and cool stuff you’re doing with the jeep

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Blainyj

Man my Jeep did the same thing last night. Been tracing no ASD activation for months. Iím not electrical savvy at all but I have learned enough to be dangerous throughout this process. Turned the key and BAM fuel pump kicked on and started right up. Congrats on your fix. I see a bunch of posts that arenít complete. Folks forget to post their remedies. If we donít post it, itís all for not. I have gotten direction from folks chiming in with possibilities but we need to know the end result.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-14-2020, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
GeorgiaJeepYj

Haha, well sorry to tell ya, the Jeep is soon to be put up for a body off frame restore, Jeep has 0 rust but it needs new seals everywhere, new trans once the ba10 blows, and some reliability put back into it, planning on painting the body, (I have a lot of experience in commercial painting) redoing the undercarriage undercoat is starting to peel, redo the wiring in the engine bay and a entire interior overhaul, person before me did a terrible job rhino lining and there’s wires dangling under the dash ready to burn my whole Jeep down, needless to say, PO didn’t give a crap about it 😑

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in