1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishadventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
AcidRaiN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Introducing Project: Doo-Doo

Hello everyone! I've been a member for a while now, but this is my new jeep project in a long time. I just picked up this 88, 4.2L, 5sp over the weekend. She looks to be mostly stock with 261K on the odometer. The PO and I believe this is the second motor in her. She works mechanically so I'm just going to let her go for now.

Plans include: (no particular order)
Lift and tires
Soft top
Coat the floors (carpet already removed)
Motor and Trans swap (one I really start having problems)
Paint her back to the original white color
Bumpers, winch, protection
and beat her like she's supposed to be!

I'm happy to be active here again! I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2023.jpg   IMG_2017.jpg   IMG_2016.jpg   IMG_2015.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 01:07 PM
jkbrereton

Nice. That brown could work though, once lifted with larger tires.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 10:36 PM
LlanoTX95YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Agree outward appearance is not bad for 30 + years. Had forgotten what the stock flares looked like. Good luck.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 11:14 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great starting point.
Brown looks good on a Jeep.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #5 of 14 Old 09-22-2020, 04:06 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Great starting point.
Anything earthy does. .
Agreed. Great starting point!

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-22-2020, 07:38 PM
Trjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice! Wouldn’t brown be camouflage for mud 🤔
post #7 of 14 Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Great starting point.
Anything earthy does. .
Agreed. Great starting point!
I did green on mine - not too glossy- so other than glass or lighting I could be in the woods and not be as.... noticeable to most eyes. Ahem.

Brown is blendy, too

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #8 of 14 Old 10-05-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
AcidRaiN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Based on some advice from another thread, I decided to start with the upkeep maintenance items. I ordered the fluids for changing out the front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission. I'm also working on replacing the rear main seal. I did not expect it to take me three hours on Saturday to get the oil pan out. I also had to cut the exhaust. The cork seal looks like it was on there from the time of dinosaurs and was almost impossible to get off. While I have the oil pan off, I plan to also change out the oil pump and pick-up screen, along with a new gasket and oil change (obviously)

I have visions of lifted jeeps dancing in my head, but for now I'm going to drive her and see what I have. I do know that all of the bushings are shot, along with tie-rod ends and everything else. I do need to replace body mounts and I'm working if I should do a 1 or 2 inch body lift at the same time?

As far as the engine goes, I'm going to run her until she breaks or I get more time and money. I'm 90% leaning towards rebuilding the 4.2L in her but replace the BA10/5 with an AX-15 when the time comes.

Side note: my daughter and I are also working on an 88XJ to get running for her first car. She'll be 15 this month so we have a bit of time to get her running also.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2020, 05:52 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wouldn’t go more than the 1” aka 1-1/4” body mounts. 1” has a couple benefits and no downside but more than 1” imho and there’s several issues for concern.

Besides, 1” does a lot but no body lift of any height gives off-roading clearance- which is the point of lift to begin with. Yes, 3” body lift gives room for big tires. However, I see no point in appearance modifications that don’t offer performance gains. (I don’t mean esthetic mods like a CJ grill or a frameless top. I mean things like tcase drops, mudflaps, tall body mounts, or a dozen “offroad lights.”)

Good job on doing a project with/for the kid. Life intelligence is more important to success in adult life than IQ. Participative activity develops emotional health and relational affirmation.

Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 14 Old 10-06-2020, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
AcidRaiN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
Good job on doing a project with/for the kid. Life intelligence is more important to success in adult life than IQ. Participative activity develops emotional health and relational affirmation.
Thank you! I think it's important to spend the time together and she gets to learn how to work on cars. Now if I can just get her to realize the value of patience! LOL! She get frustrated easy when it doesn't go her way. I tell her that's a part of working on cars. You have to be patient and creative at times. Plus I enjoy having her around and teaching her!
post #11 of 14 Old 10-06-2020, 07:29 AM
Flyer58

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Dang it, now I'm going to have that song by The Police in my mind all day.. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Nice YJ!
post #12 of 14 Old 10-06-2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
AcidRaiN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer58 View Post
Dang it, now I'm going to have that song by The Police in my mind all day.. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Nice YJ!
HAHA! Thanks! I think Project: Doo-Doo has taken on multiple meanings! 1. Because of the doo-doo brown color and 2. Because there is always more to do! I don't think a jeep is ever finished..... but I intend to find out!
post #13 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
AcidRaiN
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Finally got the old gasket off the oil pan. Cleaned and painted the oil pan, got the upper and lower rear main seal out and removed oil pump. Now just trying to get all of the old seal off the engine. Going to try some gasket remover and let it soak overnight. Hopefully I can start installing the new parts soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 07:36 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Aerosol carb cleaner, safety glasses, and this: Williams 40000 Gasket Scraper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YREG70..._KeMGFbSTS8YSC

That’s all I ever use other than a wire brush or a low-abrasive pad on an angled die grinder.
AcidRaiN likes this.

Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in