Intro and 1st YJ questions - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-28-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

Intro and 1st YJ questions

Howdy. I’m hunting for my first Jeep. I flirted with buying a diesel Liberty for a minute. Now I’ve started shopping for a YJ. Im hunting for a stock model. I dont want a lifted one or a heavily modified one. & it’s gotta have a manual in it...

I’ve found 2 I’m interested in. 1 is virtually stock. 1990, 4cyl, has 171k miles on it. Starts runs and drives very well & factory AC. Couldn’t find much wrong with it.

The other one, a 1994 4cyl, 70k miles, no AC, & was hard to start, had a funny knock noise coming from the underside for a few seconds till it idled smoothly, and it was difficult to put into 1st & 2nd geat when stopped. It shifts into 3 4 & 5th fine but downshifting into 2nd it chrunches and I have to be either rolling or had to fiddle with the idle or let the clutch out to get it into first. The seller said “oh that’s just the clutch🙄.” My guess is it had bad synchros in the gearbox. On the other hand it drive nicely. Steering and suspension seemed tight and nicer than the other model with 171k on the odo. One thing that turned me off is somebody(probably the seller painted the undercarriage black)

I’ve been reading up on wranglers. What I’m seeking is info. Is 171k miles considered high? What are the major pitfalls with YJ models? & what’s the cost of a rebuilt gearbox? I’m reasonably mechanically inclined I just dont have ANY specific knowledge about YJ Wranglers. I’m looking to buy my first wrangler in the next couple of months. These are the first 2 Wranglers I’ve driven, I dont have much to compare them to. I like the YJ models for their simplicity.

Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Your profile is not filled out so I have no clue of your location. These things can have some bad frame and body mount issues due to rust. One area very susceptible to rust is the rear section of the frame rails around the shackle mounts. It can be repairable with the right fab skills and equipment.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

Thanks for the info. I’m in Georgia. I’ll fill out my profile ASAP. The high mile one is on South Georgia. The body isn’t rusty but the under carriage has surface rust. It didn’t smoke on cold start up and ran shifted & stopped nicely. Im considering going and buying it.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-29-2019, 11:14 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would strongly recommend holding out for a 6 cylinder. 91-95 will have a fuel injected H.O. motor.
DirtKar and Chrisnvegas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 04-29-2019, 12:07 PM
1project2many
1995 YJ Wrangler 

YJ's are fairly simple compared to vehicles today. Problems tend to occur with rust, the AX5 transmission found in the four cylinder models, vacuum actuated 4X4 system, and gauges (especially fuel level) not working. I've seen many Jeeps with very poor wiring although with a YJ that's almost always the fault of one or more previous owners. But there are a number of areas where poor maintenance can cause problems. Water left in differentials, universal joints and front end parts not being replaced, shocks and springs allowed to fail, body bushings drying out and not being replaced are all common problems folks find just after buying a Jeep.

As to the overall condition of the vehicle, it really depends on how well it was maintained. Rust isn't likely to be an issue for vehicles that have lived a life in that area but watch out for transplanted Yankees selling barnacles. Wiring problems are not limited to any specific part of the country. Failed bushings are easy to see as are loose universal joints and steering parts. Finding heavy gear oil in the transmission can be a sign that the gearbox has problems. I'd look for a model with EFI as the engines tend to be in better shape after 150k plus miles. If you drive on highways regularly I'd recommend a six cylinder model. Between the extra power and the better transmission you're likely to have fewer problems.
zrickety likes this.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

For your own sanity stay away from the fuel injected setup on the pre 90. Go for the 94. I like the 4 angry squirrels but understand that she has low end torque but runs short on the highway especially if you run larger tires.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #7 of 31 Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

Well I pulled the trigger on the high mile one tonight. Its got after market wheels with over sized tires but that and a winch are the only not stock items on it. It’s a Sahara model. It has a replacement radiator. Every gauge and indicator appears to work. The interior is remarkably clean. The only thing I could accomplish was engage the 4WD. It looks like a mouse had chewed through the hose. I took the sellers word that it worked. No wiring issues. No serious rust. The under carriage is rusty-ish. It’s all stained brown but there’s certainly zero rust on the body and even the original looking exhaust was solid and quiet. Unless I’m mistaken Ive bought a reliable uncrashed unmolested YJ... how do I post a pic on here? & i’d prefer a 6cyl but since this one seems to run well I guess I dont care. It’ll mostly be a local only project. All I really need to do is clean it to start. It’s even got almost new tires on it...
& thanks for the input everyone.
Matt
post #8 of 31 Old 04-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You need 50 post first. Dont worry. Youll get to 50 real quick!

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #9 of 31 Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 PM
bharris68
Gravel Truck Pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

congrats on the 4 cylinder! Mine has over 230K on it, so you can look forward to many years of use before any major issues.

My suggestions are to look through the service records and find out when the timing chain was done - I did mine only a few years ago, but it's probably time if it has not been done.

Do a compression test to get a baseline and consider fluid changes right now - again a baseline.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-01-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

I guess with buying my first Jeep 59 posts is peanuts...
bharris68 likes this.
post #11 of 31 Old 05-01-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

& I guess the very first thing I’ll buy for my Jeep is a Clymer repair manual. It currently appears to be well maintained. The only repair I need to address is the vacuum line to the front axle 4WD won’t engage currently.... & once I clean the engine bay I’ll figure out if it’s had a timing chain done...
post #12 of 31 Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You want the factory manual. Update you profile with the Jeep info and we will see if we cant point you to a free manual.

Fault codes:

No Start:
post #13 of 31 Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 PM
txtriathlete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Jeep world. I was going to offer "be patient and be choosy" but it seems you have chosen...

170K is high but not outrageous if it has been well cared for. You will most likely be investigating the engine internals in one form or another in the next 30 or 40 K. Compression and timing chain would be my very first things to look at. Compression requires a 14mm deep well fitting, O'Reilly's loaner kit has one (Harbor Freight kit doesn't). These Jeeps are really easy to work on, I have practically rebuilt my entire 95 in the past 9 months or so.

On the 4WD vacuum issue, its a very common issue. You have an immediate choice to make, restore to factory configuration (vacuum) or override with manual engagement or full time axle lock. No wrong answer, lots of info on here about how to fix it (or bypass it). If its just a vacuum leak, you can splice in a piece of regular (soft flexible) vacuum hose by inserting the hard plastic into the ends of the soft tubing. Or you can buy new hard plastic vacuum hoses from places online. There's also a strong used parts market for these.

As far as manuals, I found a PDF factory one online somewhere (here?), you should be able to google for one. The factory one is actually really good and pretty easy to follow. Also, look through the "How To" sections here, lots of good info for first time Jeepers.

Welcome!

"Basket Case" 95 YJ - 8"SOA/4.0/AX-15/AA SYE/Woods CV DS/Ford 8"rear/35" MT Tires
post #14 of 31 Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You post pics using the attachment process. It's that little paperclip at the top of the post box.

Also I do have a 90 FSM if you want it. Just send me a PM, and I'll PM you back the link.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
post #15 of 31 Old 05-02-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
J33pVirgin

Egads! A factory repair manual on eBay is $90!
I did find a used clymer for $20... I like the print manuals. I can sit by the machine and read the manual the old fashioned way.
I cruised eBay and found a couple parts I need. Where do I go for parts?
I have zero intention of festuning my Jeep with doodads and sparkly things. I’ll keep it as stock as it is now & preserve the patina. I’m also going to ditch the cheesy aluminum wheels with over sized tires and find a set of stock steel wheels and put some tall skinny tires on it.
I’ve got a owners manual, a repair manual & a couple little bits that are missing on the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in