Installing a custom bench seat in the rear of my YJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
jbierschwale

Installing a custom bench seat in the rear of my YJ

JeepFolk,
I am faced with a dilemma - 5 people and four seats. I do not currently have a rear seat in my 91 YJ. I was kicking around the idea of installing a bench seat from a Ranger (or something close) in the rear - straddling the fender wells of course. Has anyone done this already? If so, what seat did you use? Are the fender wells sturdy enough to support 450 lbs of beef? Thanks, guys...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
sstaurus

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Even if you could, their heads would be way above the roll bar no? A bench in the front seems like a better idea... just like in a truck someone would have to straddle the stickshift though!

'02 Sienna Pearl TJ Sahara
post #3 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Mark455SD

1961 CJ5 

Make it a double decker. The rollbar is strong enough to support a second level Its a jeep....not much you can do about the cramped space. The only idea I ever toyed around with was can you move the back seat closer to the tailgate to allow more leg room for the rear passengers. I have zero use for a trunk and the added leg room would be good so I dont have to move my seat up when I have passengers. If anyone has ever done anything like that,it would be cool to see some pics.

post #4 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 AM
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like you need to stretch it... or buy another yj and just take two jeeps.

Unlimited Length YJ "Sasquatch"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Renix 4.0
AW4 swap with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
= DONE

post #5 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 05:57 AM
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You';d have a hard time making it safe.

I farted around with putting flip down defender seats in the rear and after 2 weekends of fab, working seat belts etc, I just gave up. Way to hard to make it safe.

- Ernie

post #6 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 08:53 AM
blue1989yj

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the safety factor. I think it would be way to hard to make it safe for use. Although as far as the weight question, I am sure if you used additional braces from the floor to the seat, the fender wells would be fine. I just wouldn't rely on just that.

Herculined, MC2100, Nuttered, 31" Mud Rovers
post #7 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 AM
WindBlown

UNless your wanting to do somehting like this and you only use your jeep in say the summer. and to make the support under the seat where theres no wheel well you could put a square like cubby thing but i wouldnt sujest this unless itsonly summer vehicle and that you bolt it down well. and put seat belts in. And as far as weight on the wheel well i believe its made of steel so it shouldnt be too bad but going under it you may want to put re-enforcement strapping underneath but that would only work if you had a lift so the wheel doesnt rub the reenforcing i just scetched up that idea quickly but who know i may have helped.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 AM
durangoyj

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
^^I think that's what Richmond was trying to do before he gave up because it wasn't safe. I agree with going with a bench seat up front, kind of a pain for the three up front but a heck of a lot safer then having heads poke up over the roll bar. I have this same delima and may look into the front bench seat idea in the summer time. (I told my wife that we can only get two kids in a jeep but NOOOOOOOO we have to have a third, I do love all my kids though.)

[]|||||||[]

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
post #9 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Stiffler

I agree with the above posts. I call them ""suicide seats" because that's what they are called on the Landcruisers. I wanted to put them in my Jeep as well, but haven't had time. I believe you can probably find Landcruiser ones that would fit. Of course, are they the safest? Probably not. I never wore my seatbelt when sitting on one, but yet again, if they are kids, probably a good idea.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM
JPFREEK

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's not my rig, but Toyota FJ-40 jump seats fit nicely:

-Pete
'91 YJ

;
post #11 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 PM
WindBlown

wonder how much the damage is on sucide seats.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
durangoyj

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Hey JPFREEK, can you get more info on those? I know he probably doesn't have pictures but I'd like to see some kids sitting in those to see how much room there is. I've got a 6, 10, and 12 year old to fit in mine, plus the wife. Where'd they get the seats and how much?

[]|||||||[]

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
post #13 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo93yj
Hey JPFREEK, can you get more info on those? I know he probably doesn't have pictures but I'd like to see some kids sitting in those to see how much room there is. I've got a 6, 10, and 12 year old to fit in mine, plus the wife. Where'd they get the seats and how much?
Do what a couple of us to...we use our YJ to wheel in the BAd stuff, and when we takethe kids we dont go thru the bad stuff so much, and get an Cherokee to fit the family in and you use your YJ for well you.

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #14 of 25 Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
jbierschwale

That would be great... but I can barely afford one rock rig.

JPFREEK - Thanks for the pics, man! I knew there was a way to do it, and that looks clean!

On that note... I have a slant back cage in my '91, and I would like to have the square back cage. Anyone want to trade?

EDIT: I wonder if two TJ seats would work. They fold, don't they? I don't have a rear seat to measure... can someone tell me what the depth (front to back total - including back slope) a rear seat takes up?

Last edited by jbierschwale; 01-16-2008 at 05:40 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 AM
JPFREEK

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo93yj
I don't have that info, it was a project done by a good friend of mine who is a fabricator in Northern Virginia. His name is Eric and he runs Freaky Tree Offroad. The website is currently being redone, but I can personally vouch for his work as he has done the rockers, skids/subframe on my wife's XJ as well as the full cage in my YJ. You can tell him JPFREEK gave you his info.

-Pete
'91 YJ

;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in