Installed steering gear box - now, no worki - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Installed steering gear box - now, no worki

I have spent last 7.5 hours trying to figure this out and I'm not sure what to do. Long story short, I got a brand new steering gear box as the old one was leaking.

what I did: I removed the old one, flushed the old oil from the reservoir, started and pumped some fresh oil out of the line. I install the new gear box, connect the two hoses. Fill oil, turn the steering left and right, two or three times. Then start the Jeep, do the same. At first there was a lot of bubbles. All good after that, past that, started about 3-4 times for 20 second or so. Worked prefect. I clean up and decide to pull the Jeep out of the garage and I cannot move the steering (33X12.5 tires). Since then, I repeated the same process of turning left-n-right about 50 times both engine off and running. Nothing....
Here are some thoughts:
A) wrong hose connected: I think this is not possible, as the main pressure line has a weird pointy thing that is designed to press down a valve(or something) in the gear box. The return hose does not have that. What other ways are there to know if I may have connected wrong lines?

B) Return oil testing: I removed the return hose just next to the pump and it gushes out all the oil in the tank in 8-9 seconds. I assume the pressure from the pump is good?

C) Air bubble: Do you think, by some miracle, there is still some Air in the gear box?

D) Odd oil level fluctuations: with engine off, when I turn the steering wheel hard left, the oil level goes up and spills out(the first time). It does not do that on hard right turns. Does that mean there is air in the pump?

Please let me know, I need this Jeep for a trip to Tahoe next weekend.

1989:Wrangler (olive drab), 5 Speed Manual, 4.2 Inline, 224,000 plus mile and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 03:19 AM
BChamberlin
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible you have a faulty replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1994 Wrangler YJ
1999 Wrangler TJ [R.I.P.]
2008 Wrangler X
post #3 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChamberlin View Post
Is it possible you have a faulty replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure, the seller on Ebay tells me that it is the correct one, this is the one I got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangl...72.m2749.l2649

1989:Wrangler (olive drab), 5 Speed Manual, 4.2 Inline, 224,000 plus mile and counting.

post #4 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
either the box is doa or more likely there is air in it. purging takes way more then 3-4 turns.

I have used refurb parts more times than I can count over the years but have almost never had good luck with a rebuilt steering box.

If the box in the picture is what you have it's not from a YJ because it only has 3 bolts. it might work but it's probably an XJ box.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

If the box in the picture is what you have it's not from a YJ because it only has 3 bolts. it might work but it's probably an XJ box.
It very well could be, I specifically contacted the seller about that before I bought it. He said, it should work just fine. Now, if it is the XJ box, do you think it needs a different kind of pump? May be the old pump is not good for this application? Keep in mind, 89 has pump and reservoir as one unit.

post #6 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay View Post
It very well could be, I specifically contacted the seller about that before I bought it. He said, it should work just fine. Now, if it is the XJ box, do you think it needs a different kind of pump? May be the old pump is not good for this application? Keep in mind, 89 has pump and reservoir as one unit.
xj box is fine but you should be aware of what you're buying. I can't imaging ordering something like that from a ebay seller instead of just getting locally. It would have been cheaper at oreilly.

bleeding

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I'm heading to the garage to put the old unit back on. This is such a waste of time and money ;(

post #8 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 10:32 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would also bet there's air in the system, especially if you're starting it while trying to purge the system. Just lift the front tires off the ground and crank the steering from lock to lock 15 - 20 times, make sure the fluid is full and repeat until there are no bubbles at all. Easier with a helper obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #9 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I would also bet there's air in the system, especially if you're starting it while trying to purge the system. Just lift the front tires off the ground and crank the steering from lock to lock 15 - 20 times, make sure the fluid is full and repeat until there are no bubbles at all. Easier with a helper obviously.
Will do and post back in next couple of hours....

post #10 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 02:49 PM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just replaced my steering gear box about a month ago. I bought it locally at NAPA but turns out they had to order it from Denver (I'm in Chicago) because nobody in the area had one. My experience is that the other local box stores had the same deal. I figured Napa may be the best reman one vs autozone, advanced, oreilly's, etc.

I did a ton of research in installing it and most people do the left/right thing to purge the air. The directions that came with mine said not to do it and to use a vacuum to get all the air out. After I installed it, I got a hand brake bleed kit from HF. I then had an old food saver vacuum mason jar lid thing that was a great fit for the reservoir cap. You put a vacuum on (I forgot how much, maybe 20inHG) for a certain period of time (maybe like 10 minutes) so all the air comes out. I had to do this maybe like 3 times because the first time it sucked all the fluid back in. After that it worked better.

I would say 99% of the people do the left/right thing with the steering wheel but I had success and was really happy with the vacuum method. Maybe try that and see if it works?

You also said that the other one was leaking and that's why you replaced it. Did you use any 'leak stopper' in the old one? I'm wondering if maybe something got clogged up.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #11 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post

You also said that the other one was leaking and that's why you replaced it. Did you use any 'leak stopper' in the old one? I'm wondering if maybe something got clogged up.
Nope, I did not use any leak stopper thing. I will have to try the vacuum thing that you mentioned.

post #12 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm heading to HF now, to buy this: https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-...Kit-63391.html
2.5 hours of turning and nothing has happened yet.

post #13 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 PM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay View Post
I'm heading to HF now, to buy this: https://www.harborfreight.com/Brake-...Kit-63391.html
2.5 hours of turning and nothing has happened yet.
That's the one I had used for this. It comes with a little suction cup that kind of worked but I needed to find something bigger. I bought a food saver vacuum sealer about 20 years ago and never used the mason jar attachment. For some reason, I still had it so I grabbed it and tried it. It's a lid attachment that fits on a mason jar, but the power steering resovior is about the right size for this attachment to fit on top. It doesn't screw on, it will just sit and the suction will seal it. If you google search 'food saver mason jar attachment' you'll see what I'm talking about. You may even be able to retrofit a mason jar lid, but I don't know. It may be more work than it's worth.

Here's a video that kind of talks about it. If you fast forward to the 2:20 mark it's about the time they start talking about bleeding the system/finding a leak.

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it's just what I did when I bought mine and didn't have any problems. No squeals, no noises, nothing. Just installed it, rigged up my pump and let it bleed the air out and it worked. I'm also wondering if maybe there's an issue with your pump... While I'm no expert, I think you can undo the pressure hose and see if it will pump fluid through it with the car on. Another poster may be able to confirm this before you actually do this.

Good Luck!

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #14 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
vijay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewiz38 View Post
That's the one I had used for this. It comes with a little suction cup that kind of worked but I needed to find something bigger. I bought a food saver vacuum sealer about 20 years ago and never used the mason jar attachment. For some reason, I still had it so I grabbed it and tried it. It's a lid attachment that fits on a mason jar, but the power steering resovior is about the right size for this attachment to fit on top. It doesn't screw on, it will just sit and the suction will seal it. If you google search 'food saver mason jar attachment' you'll see what I'm talking about. You may even be able to retrofit a mason jar lid, but I don't know. It may be more work than it's worth.

Here's a video that kind of talks about it. If you fast forward to the 2:20 mark it's about the time they start talking about bleeding the system/finding a leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uS9gvGHH6U

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but it's just what I did when I bought mine and didn't have any problems. No squeals, no noises, nothing. Just installed it, rigged up my pump and let it bleed the air out and it worked. I'm also wondering if maybe there's an issue with your pump... While I'm no expert, I think you can undo the pressure hose and see if it will pump fluid through it with the car on. Another poster may be able to confirm this before you actually do this.

Good Luck!
Thanks, I have to find something as well...my trip is canceled as there is no way to get this done during work week. All things failed today as well. I have been in the garage since 10:30 AM....I'm done. I cannot make this to work.

post #15 of 38 Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM
fishadventure

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You can get one in two days from amazon

I think the variable valve thingy in yours is defective. eBay is like the plague to me for auto parts. At least amazon will back you up on Prime stuff if there’s a problem. eBay sucks for quick problem solving

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in