Inner C gussets for YJ ?? - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-29-2021, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
YJ40

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Inner C gussets for YJ ??

Hi,
i work on my front d30 and try to find some inner C gussets. For JK, TJ and XJ's are lots of kits, but not for a YJ . Will JK gussets work on my YJ? It seems that the lowerJK bracket will not work with my stock shock mounts...
Any idea ?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16356_100X_A_PG.htm
https://www.quadratec.com/products/52465_6619.htm

Thanks,
Marcel

89´YJ 4.6l , my toy since 1999...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i used those on my Jk d44s. installed my self when i sleeved the axles as well. I would think it wont fit well. might be able to mod it too though? Only you will know once you get those and test the fit. Jks the upper goes righto the spring pad, that for sure may be short if you want to come down to the axle.

there are other designs for these as well. thought Tera made some that are solid chunks a bit narrower then the bent plate type. Not sure if that helps what you want to do. The other choice is fab them your self out of .25 plate or like Tera 3/4 inch chunk cut to shape.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-29-2021, 11:20 AM
cas6969

1988 YJ Wrangler 

https://taboocustoms.com/store/YJ-Dana-30-C-Gusset-Kit

Silicone, the thinking man's duct tape.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-29-2021, 06:45 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This kind of failure really only came to light when JK's hit the scene. It wasn't really an issue on CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, ZJ's, WJ's, or XJ's and all of those came with some version of the D30 axle. However, it's a pretty well documented problem on the JK's. I haven't seen any conclusive evidence as to why it affects JK's more but I suspect it has to do with the increased weight. When a bone stock YJ weighs 2900lbs and a bone stock JKU is 4200lbs, it does start to make sense though...especially when you consider the typical mods and their increase in weight of the two models.

If it costs $12 and you're bored and have the axle apart, maybe it'd be worth it but I wouldn't tear the axle down and pay $70 to strengthen something that will likely be one of the last things to fail on your rig prior to upgrading axles.

post #5 of 19 Old 04-29-2021, 09:56 PM
SevenSlotAddict
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The basic problem is manufacturers are leaving the bastige child YJ in the dirt. Considering they are 30+ years old I sorta understand. Many of the YJs on the road have been modified by some of their PO's so demand isnt the biggest. Why devote a lot of time manufacturing somethi8ng that may sit on a shelf?

I sometimes dont understand because the Wranglers and CJ's are constantly being restored and driven so accessories are still in demand. One example I see is extra wide fender flares. Yeah I cant find a 7" kit that direct fits the YJ for less than $400. TJs? Still available. With the boom in the JK generation entering the SUV market as strong as they have, the focus is on them.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSlotAddict View Post
The basic problem is manufacturers are leaving the bastige child YJ in the dirt. Considering they are 30+ years old I sorta understand. Many of the YJs on the road have been modified by some of their PO's so demand isnt the biggest. Why devote a lot of time manufacturing somethi8ng that may sit on a shelf?

I sometimes dont understand because the Wranglers and CJ's are constantly being restored and driven so accessories are still in demand. One example I see is extra wide fender flares. Yeah I cant find a 7" kit that direct fits the YJ for less than $400. TJs? Still available. With the boom in the JK generation entering the SUV market as strong as they have, the focus is on them.
Although I agree the pre-JK Jeeps don't have the same level of aftermarket support that the JK and JL have. However, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Most mods for YJ's are functional and less show while the JK is heavily biased towards show and while there are certainly more lift/offroad specific mods available to the JK, there isn't really a shortage of companies who offer that for the YJ. Heck, you even have companies who have developed a pre-designed 3 link/4 link with for coilovers for a YJ and believe it or not, it's cheaper for the YJ.

That said, I think the vast majority of people who put inner C gussets on a JK buy the parts online and pay someone to weld them on because it's necessary pretty early on in the build sequence. IMO, by the time a YJ needs inner C gussets, you've either learned how to weld or you know someone who can weld it for you because you didn't get to the point of needing this by bolting on a big lift and bigger tires. Anyone who mods a YJ enough to need this kind of thing on a YJ probably has enough 1/4" plate scrap laying around to make a set of these and weld them on but realistically, they've welded in a new axle already and don't need them anyway.
jsawduste likes this.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
YJ40

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,
the taboocustoms kit looks intresting,so i contacted them, but it seems they don't ship outside US and Canada, and i'm outside...
But i could use this design to fabricate my own gussets.
@Waternut the axle is apart to bare steel so this is the best time for a uprade.And a little bit overkill is better than allways to fear something could bent on a trail. It will get a truss also and when it is done a new black shiny powdercoat.

post #8 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 08:05 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ40 View Post
Thanks,
the taboocustoms kit looks intresting,so i contacted them, but it seems they don't ship outside US and Canada, and i'm outside...
But i could use this design to fabricate my own gussets.
@Waternut the axle is apart to bare steel so this is the best time for a uprade.And a little bit overkill is better than allways to fear something could bent on a trail. It will get a truss also and when it is done a new black shiny powdercoat.
I understand the feeling of security. However, I ran 35's with a locker an a V8 in a big boulder field bigger than my tires. Didn't even run a truss although I considered that. I broke the ring and pinion which is what forced an axle upgrade.

post #9 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 08:06 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

On a YJ Dana 30 I would think the tube would bend way before the inner C.
timatoe likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
YJ40

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Years ago i broke my tube out of the diff on my old D35 rear, so i would stay on the safe side...

post #11 of 19 Old 04-30-2021, 08:56 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ40 View Post
Years ago i broke my tube out of the diff on my old D35 rear, so i would stay on the safe side...
To each their own and gussets should be easy enough but the D35 is a totally different animal. The D35 is an infamous axle in terms of every aspect being a known failure point. The D30 in the YJ isn't the same and is known to be quite reliable with 35's in most cases with stock power.

I'm not trying to discourage doing this as it should be cheap and easy to do yourself but don't stress about it or let it hold anything else up because it's really not that important.

post #12 of 19 Old 05-01-2021, 05:17 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
@joedillard !has had great posts on this in the past FYI

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #13 of 19 Old 05-03-2021, 05:44 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/prod...c-gussets.html

https://www.artecindustries.com/tjinnerc

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #14 of 19 Old 05-04-2021, 10:25 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ever seee the rough cownty video on their D30 truss kit? says that their’s has splines for ultimate strength and describes the pieces as “armor.”

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #15 of 19 Old 05-04-2021, 10:43 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
@joedillard !has had great posts on this in the past FYI
Yup, cracked the axle right under the perch's on the long side. Luckily, someone in the group had a 110 welder to get it fixed.

Waternut made a good point... the weight factor. I've never had mine weighed, but I know it's mucho heavy, so I did the Artec truss and C gussets. But even tho the JKUs are heavier, seems there's got to be some other reason they are so prone to fail?

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in