Ignition source - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-17-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
ryanwilson277

Ignition source

Went to start my Jeep and it would crank but wouldn't start, found out I had no fuel pressure and no voltage to the pump, jumped the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump kicked on, tried to start and still wouldn't start. Assuming I had to power to the coil. Put the fuel pump relay back and after a bunch of wire checking and turning the key on-off a bunch it finally had igntion and power to the fuel pump and started right up. Question is, does this sound like an ignition switch problem even though the dash lights would come on and then it would crank? And is there somewhere I can jump the ignition switch if it happens again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 05:28 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What year jeep and engine? fill in your profile please. Helps us help you. Where are you located?

Did you get the CEL light on the dash? If not Read this... https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...rs-ecu-492597/

If you do have a CEL then ...

Sound like relay issue to me... If the jeep cranked, tells me the ign switch works

I'd check clean all the contacts first under the hood relays / fuses... you can swap relays in case one is faulty or on its way out... or grab a new one...

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #3 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
ryanwilson277

Im sorry it's a 1994 2.5, from Maryland. I just don't know what relay controls the ignition. Wherever the fuel pump and coil gets its power from. I think the check engine light comes on with key on until you start it regardless if I'm not mistaken.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 09:08 AM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilson277 View Post
Im sorry it's a 1994 2.5, from Maryland. I just don't know what relay controls the ignition. Wherever the fuel pump and coil gets its power from. I think the check engine light comes on with key on until you start it regardless if I'm not mistaken.
Did you read the link I posted? sounds like your problem... no fuel at cranking. Now you didn't say if this was a cold start, or what weather conditions were like... but I'm guessing....

Symptoms: turn key but no check engine light but after a few minutes of the key on, you hear clicking and then the check engine/shift light come on and you hear the fuel pump prime and it starts right up.

When vehicle is cold, turn key to on, does the CEL come on right away? If not then read the brain surgery, as you probably have bad capacitors..

There is no ignition key relay, but there is a fuel pump relay as you know... they can go bad or be intermittent. If you have a a good CEL, then I'd try replacing the relay if it happens again..

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #5 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

on some of my jeeps i have a fuse in the fuse box under the hood. when it blows i dont get any power. some of the fuses are labeled on the inside of the top of the fuse box
post #6 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 12:33 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Are you checking the relays yourself?
IIRC jeep uses a 3second shut down of FP relay if engine does not start.
SO turning key and testing volts is tough - often a 2 man job.

As mentioned above Fuse 5 a 10amp supplies voltage to control side of relay.
Alos ck PDC fuse F1 a 30amp.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 12:39 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Help us help you. Fill in your profile.

We dont know what year your jeep is or anything. But since you said power and fuel pump. I will assume 91-95. Have you done the key trick to check for codes? Are there any? Do you have spark? I do beleive the crank sensor kills both spark and fuel when it goes bad. At key one do you hear the fuel pump prime? It will turn on for 3 seconds to pressurize the system than shuts off till the cam and crank sensor detect the engine is running. SO that might be why you are not seeing voltage. You literally get 3 seconds tops. Mine only primes for 1 second.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

What part of MD? I am in the Frederick area.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-18-2020, 06:08 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You may have a basic ASD relay issue. As others have stated, it is hard to tell what you are working on so factual info and diagnostics may be sketchy. Fill out your profile.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2020, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
ryanwilson277

I apologise but I don't see where I can put in my jeeps info. When I click settings I can edit my birthday and timezone and such but no jeep info. But it's an 1994 with the 2.5. I live in Havre de Grace md. I drove the jeep to work today and I can't get the issue to duplicate. When it first happened on monday I pulled it into the shop after work to fix a few things and when I went to pull it out is when I noticed I had no fuel pressure. I jumped the pins on the relay and the fuel pump kicked on so I knew my pump was fine. With the relay jumped and having fuel pressure it still would just crank and no start because I had no spark. I put the fuel pump relay back in and then I cycled the key a bunch of times and finally I heard the fuel pump kick on and then I cranked and it started right up. I've started the jeep about 10- 15 times since then and I can't duplicate the issue. If it happens again I will check for the CEL issue with the capacitors that was spoken about.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilson277 View Post
I apologise but I don't see where I can put in my jeeps info. When I click settings I can edit my birthday and timezone and such but no jeep info. But it's an 1994 with the 2.5. I live in Havre de Grace md. I drove the jeep to work today and I can't get the issue to duplicate. When it first happened on monday I pulled it into the shop after work to fix a few things and when I went to pull it out is when I noticed I had no fuel pressure. I jumped the pins on the relay and the fuel pump kicked on so I knew my pump was fine. With the relay jumped and having fuel pressure it still would just crank and no start because I had no spark. I put the fuel pump relay back in and then I cycled the key a bunch of times and finally I heard the fuel pump kick on and then I cranked and it started right up. I've started the jeep about 10- 15 times since then and I can't duplicate the issue. If it happens again I will check for the CEL issue with the capacitors that was spoken about.
Did you pull the codes? I am thinking your going to see a code 11 when you have the no start issue. That would be your crank sensor. The code may still be stored so you should try it anyway and see if 11 comes up.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in