How To: Remove and Reinstall the V-Belt Driven Power Steering Pump w/Pressure Hose - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
bharris68
Unsupervised Adult
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How To: Remove and Reinstall the V-Belt Driven Power Steering Pump w/Pressure Hose

I'd not seen this written up before, so I thought that I'd take a crack at it while I replaced mine over the weekend.

First - disconnect the battery..

Here you can see the Pressure Switch on the Pressure Hose - when you turn the wheel either direction at idle, it senses the drop in pressure and kicks the idle up to accomodate.

Disconnect it and move the rubber boot well out of the way.

There is a pivot-bolt that holds the bracket on from behind the pump - you can see it poking out from behind the bent flange, between it and the bolt head near dead-center in this picture. Get a ratchet on that, and release it.

There are a number of bolts that hold this all in place. Two bolts here with red heads and one with a blue head - that is the other pivot bolt on the Aluminium bracket lower right of center.

Once Removed - you can move the forward bracket out of the way and see what you're working with.

Here you can see the two bolt locations on the water pump - this is part of what makes replacing the water pump non-trivial...

Finger shot - as above - THIS is where the pivot bolt goes once you get the pump out

Getting the pump out requires that you unbolt the pressure hose below and slip the return hose off the metal connecting hose on the pump.

Once you get it on the floor, shoot pictures so that you don't lose orientation - in this case, orientation IS important.

Back of old - note the 1/2" square slot used to slip a ratchet or other device into so that you can use that to lever the pump and tighten or loosen the V-belt.

Painting the new - it is Important to note that when you disassemble the old pump there are TWO studs that come out of it to transfer to the new one. ONE of them has a spacer built onto it - I have painted it red-ish here - make sure you get it into the right place or there will be several items that will be incorrectly positioned.

1. The brackets will not meet correctly such that tension on them will crack them.
2. The pulley will be misaligned and that will really reduce the life of your pump.

More Paint:

Tensioner slot being engaged.

A note on painting and why it's good. I wondered why my power steering pump had given up the ghost and why so many of the bolts had come loose since I'd put a new belt on it. Well - here you can see the paint got sucked into a crack in the bracket!! I could have done this wrenching on the bracket the WRONG WAY when tightening it - see the pictures above on HOW to tighten it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
bharris68
Unsupervised Adult
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Part II

bottom of the broken part - yep - it goes all the way around

A note on 4 cylinder jeep power steering components. Evidently, there are a lot of older Jeeps out there with 4 cylinders without power steering - thus, many of these parts are sold ONLY as a complete unit with the pump, all 3 brackets - front, this one - the center, and the rear one with pictures above, plus the pressure and return hoses and the steering gear unit as well. Thus - calling around I was NOT able to find anyone that would sell me just the middle bracket. So - hop on Craigslist and search for "TIG Welding" under "Services" - I found a gent who turned this around for me in under an hour for $40 on a Saturday. I have a TIG welder, but I've not practiced with it and this was too important to mess with as a first project Plus - $40 while I ran other errands was just too good a deal to pass up.

A note on getting to the OTHER END of the Power Steering Pressure hose - it's nearly hidden under the radiator. You have two options - well 3.
1. Remove the Radiator alltogether - if you're going to do this - I'd recommend you replace the water pump and thermostat plus the hoses while you have it all apart.
2. Remove the Radiator bolts and see if that gives you some play to reach the Pressure hose bolt.
3. Drop the Power Steering Gearbox down and reach it from underneath.
I opted for #3 and it did yield fruit
ONLY the 4 that you see facing you.

Dropped down a bit

Here you can see the Pressure Hose nut - up on top there:

and Removed

Painted up - I highly recommend painting all your parts - it makes it way easier to describe what you're doing to others.

Same idea - date your parts, paint them - you can see again where the 1/2" bar goes to tension or loosen the system.

Put the O-rings on ALL your parts or you'll really regret it - in this case this is the pump end of the power steering pressure hose.

This is the general orientation and generally how you'll find it going in. The Pressure Hose should be aligned with the ratchet in this picture.

as shown here:

Here is where the ratchet extension will wind up if you want to tighten the V-Belt with a ratchet and have a bit more room to work with.

Hope this helps!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
grandboost98

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I know this is an old thread but its the only one I found on how to replace the steering pump on a v belt 2.5l. Seems to be very informative but none of the pictures are working. If the OP sees this and could post them back up that would be awesome or if someone can link me to another write up, that would be great as well.

89 Wrangler-3.5" HD BDS lift,M.O.R.E HD 5/8" booms on 35" KM2s
99 Cherokee-2 door,5" lift on 35" KM2s
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
72 Chevy Nova-in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

send me your email by pm. I have the writeup as a word document, and another one that complements it. Btw, not all vehicles will have the pressure switch that the first one refers to!

Bernie
post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 02:42 PM
JEEP_Nut1218

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to see this as well...^^PM Sent^^

'90 YJ with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm a pic whore, get over it.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

an email reply with the writeups has been sent.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-09-2014, 04:09 PM
rsa7600
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hi, folks. Need some advice and help. I cannot get the hydraulic hose off the back of my power steering pump. It does need replacing and i have a replacement pump. Does the nut for the hose on the rear turn counter clockwise to loosen? It appears to be 17mm with very tight tolerances. Can't get even the thinnest open end wrench to work. Tried vice-grips...still no loosening. what's the trick? Again...HELP.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
70mdshafer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can't seem to get my 89 Jeep Wrangler running rite ,the vacum hose are all messed up can anyone out there help me with this and also my power steering belt ripped and I can't seem to find how to replace it HELP please !!!! If you can help me eather email me at [email protected] or text me 860-387-5163 thanks for any help
post #9 of 9 Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think somebody doesn't understand how the internet forums work...

Tags
power steering hose , power steering leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in