How many miles are too much for a Jeep? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
ccbiggz

How many miles are too much for a Jeep?

I have found a 94 YJ with 139,000 miles, 6 cyl, 5 spd. From the pictures it looks like it's in excellent shape. I know that's not technically a high mileage vehicle because it's only about 10,000 miles a year. My question is, are there things that will start to break on a Jeep after that many miles. For example, my wife had an Acura that she didn't change the timining belt on (This was before we were married) and the motor pretty much exploded when the timing belt broke. Also, the Jeep has been sitting up in a garage for the last two years not being driven, so are there going to be problems with the gaskets and seals and other gotchas?

My wife is worried this toy is going to be eating us alive in repair costs becuase it has over 100 K on it.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 02:04 PM
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Well....all your questions aside, Jeeps are not cheap to maintain. Especially once you start modding it.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

On the upside, the Jeep has a timing chain instead of a belt!!!!

Brown Dog Offroad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)

post #4 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM
ufatbastehd

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbiggz
I have found a 94 YJ with 139,000 miles, 6 cyl, 5 spd. From the pictures it looks like it's in excellent shape. I know that's not technically a high mileage vehicle because it's only about 10,000 miles a year. My question is, are there things that will start to break on a Jeep after that many miles. For example, my wife had an Acura that she didn't change the timining belt on (This was before we were married) and the motor pretty much exploded when the timing belt broke. Also, the Jeep has been sitting up in a garage for the last two years not being driven, so are there going to be problems with the gaskets and seals and other gotchas?

My wife is worried this toy is going to be eating us alive in repair costs becuase it has over 100 K on it.

Thanks for any advice!
I find that a Jeep requires a bit more attention than an Acura or Honda but is easier to work on. Most parts are also cheaper and easy to find. I have a Mazda with 100,00 mi that I never work on and a wrangler with 125,000 that I do most of the work on. Repair bills are higher per year on the Mazda .

If you do the work yourself its not too expensive to maintain. If you pay someone to do the work thats another story. Once you start modding the Jeep can get pricey but again do your own work and pay only for only parts and tools!
My jeep to date has needed, a cps, fuel pump and new distributor. I added mods some of which you see in my sig. I have had it for 3 years and got it with 120,000 mi.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
coachchuck
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If well maintained the engine is good for over 200k. But it does have to be maintained. I find a lot of people do little to no maintaince on their car and consider it deposible at about 100k.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
ccbiggz

The current owner says he has all the service records for it since he purchased it new.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccbiggz

Thanks for any advice!
It could be expensive. Apart from the obvious things...tie rods ends, hoses belts etc...Here are a few things to look out for which can happen to a jeep this old. It did to me. These are the biggies:

1. Clutch may need to be replaced soon.
2. The syncro gears on the tranny need to be replaced.

Here are some smaller things that could pose minor problems:

1. Water pump
2. Power steering gear box (probabkly not an issue, but it was for mine)
3. Fan clutch, etc.

The only things that will pose major expense are the clutch and the tranny. I am assuming the engine itself is running fine.

The only thing to do is to take it to a local mechanic, pay him $100 to go over it carefully and advise you if it is a good vehicle.

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers,
, custom cv driveshafts,
, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s,
, Teraflex Bellyup,
, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage,
, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable
(12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with
dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
XJtheTanK

I dont know where you live, but watch out for rust. a few places to really look out for include right by the rear bumper. also take it for a good test drive, and make sure the 4x4 works, and engages properly. parts are cheaper and easier to find, but labor could be expensive.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My 93 YJ 4.0 has 203K on it with no sighns of slowing down any time soon. It doesnt use any oil. And I have personaly put 100k of the 200k it has on it.

'93 YJ 4.6L stroker, AX-15, NP-231HD/SYE, 8.8in rear, OME 2.5 lift, home made front hub conversion, hydroboost. Warn M10000 winch.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

290K on my 258 inline 6, and still going strong.

- Ernie

post #11 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 AM
brypten

A lot depends on who the owner was as well. did he beat the crap out of it trailing, or was it just a highway rig. Did he race it or did grandma pass him. Don't forget that it is a 12 year old 4X4 so you are guaranteed to have problems with it. They arent kidding when they say JEEP is Just Empty Every Pocket. On my 82 CJ5 I think that I replaced everything but the axles and the tub. Probably shouldn't have said that, I hear murphy! On the upside as stated before, you can easily, and pretty cheaply, get every single part for the jeep. And they are some of the most simple vehicles to repair. Good luck
post #12 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
kbannister

Repair Bills????

Hee Hee, I really feel for you. BUT, I'll trade places with ya, here is my current stable

'99 Cherokee Sport...217xxx miles, son has had it for a year
'93 YJ Renegade...190xxx miles on it (needs tuning)
'84 Mercedes 500sl 160xxx miles on it, WIFE'S car (running like a rocket)
'03 Custom Softail 7140 miles on it. (on the stand with broken spokes)
'84 23' Boat 5.0L Chev (quadrajet is all screwed up)

Now, as far as the two Jeeps go, no problem with parts or fixing them. I can actually work on them without being a contortionist. If I break something, no big deal, just go to the junk yard or parts store and back in business. NOT with the Benz. I hold my breath everytime I turn a bolt on that thing. Talk about timing chains, recommended change interval is 100,000 or 150,000 depending on single or double row. Yea, that was a two day project. Needed the seats recovered. Covers using MB TEX, $650.00. AND you haven't experienced fuel injection until you have seen one of those mechanical systems.

Oh well, I can tell you, there ain't enough beer in the world.....
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 02:49 PM
kbannister

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbannister
Hee Hee, I really feel for you. BUT, I'll trade places with ya, here is my current stable

'99 Cherokee Sport...217xxx miles, son has had it for a year
'93 YJ Renegade...190xxx miles on it (needs tuning)
'84 Mercedes 500sl 160xxx miles on it, WIFE'S car (running like a rocket)
'03 Custom Softail 7140 miles on it. (on the stand with broken spokes)
'84 23' Boat 5.0L Chev (quadrajet is all screwed up)

Now, as far as the two Jeeps go, no problem with parts or fixing them. I can actually work on them without being a contortionist. If I break something, no big deal, just go to the junk yard or parts store and back in business. NOT with the Benz. I hold my breath everytime I turn a bolt on that thing. Talk about timing chains, recommended change interval is 100,000 or 150,000 depending on single or double row. Yea, that was a two day project. Needed the seats recovered. Covers using MB TEX, $650.00. AND you haven't experienced fuel injection until you have seen one of those mechanical systems.

Oh well, I can tell you, there ain't enough beer in the world.....
post #14 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:17 PM
mp3coupe

1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my 90 it had 135k or so on it. I got it pretty cheap because of engine noise. It had a pretty nasty knock. It turned out to be the timing chain was shot. It wouldn't have been long before I had major damage. Timing belts and chains do stretch.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
trw

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMav713
I dont know where you live, but watch out for rust. a few places to really look out for include right by the rear bumper. also take it for a good test drive, and make sure the 4x4 works, and engages properly. parts are cheaper and easier to find, but labor could be expensive.
he wont have to worry about rust, I think 94 is included in this (not sure, might be just the 95s) but the late model YJs were galvanized (body and frame) as I've heard more then once now, still would be advisable to check either way.

I have heard accounts of people driving their Jeeps upwards of 250k+miles before the engine died, these engines are in-destructable when taken care of.

Ive had my 95 for almost a year now and heres my repair list:
94k miles - new muffler (Previous owner put a crap one on)
100k miles- clutch slave took a dump
101k miles- starter
106k miles- AC compressor seized

Jeeps are pretty sound when it comes to the major mechanical pieces (this goes totally out the window once you start modifying it) what usually plagues most Jeeps are the smaller things, which can still get expensive, but if you take good care of it, it shouldnt be an often occurance (given stuff will wear out eventually)

Jeep garage:
2011 Jeep Wrangler JK - 33" BFG KM2s, 2.5" RC BB, ARB bumper, IPF 900XS, Superwinch EPI 9.0, AEV Snorkel
1995 Jeep Wrangler - 4 cyl, 2.5" lift, BFG AT 30s, Ford 8.8, SYE+CV, AX15 swap, ARB snorkel, Aussie locker + loads more - sold
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in