Hoops up front, outboarded rear - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 88 Old 03-16-2020, 09:55 PM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used WFO hoops and without thinking I welded the support tubes to either side of the hoop instead of behind it. The hoop still flexed enough to touch my inner fenders. I mounted them with about 1/4-1/8" of clearance.

They're laying outside of my garage if you want them for the cost of shipping, Dave.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

87TPIYJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 03-17-2020, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I used WFO hoops and without thinking I welded the support tubes to either side of the hoop instead of behind it. The hoop still flexed enough to touch my inner fenders. I mounted them with about 1/4-1/8" of clearance.

They're laying outside of my garage if you want them for the cost of shipping, Dave.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
PM sent.

Another /f12 miracle!!

Very nice of ya man
NHfireLJ likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #33 of 88 Old 05-26-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

dragging my old thread up from the dead.. sheesh. 3 years in the making. From Ford Towers, to M.O.R.E, back to Ford Towers and now Trail Gear.

I have just ordered the Trail Gear universal hoops with some Bilstein 5125's and did have a question to anyone who has ran something similar or not, but have the understanding to guide me through this as i am renting a welder as usual, and want to pay minimum (1 day).

In some cases i have noticed some thick flat stock welded or even bolted in some cases to the frame in order to plate it, and then the hoop weldment burned into that. Evidently it's for extra support/rigidity.

My question: is it necessary? Is the YJ frame that weak that it would tear apart under too much pressure? I would understand in a coil over setup, but for my purposes?

post #34 of 88 Old 05-27-2020, 07:22 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
dragging my old thread up from the dead.. sheesh. 3 years in the making. From Ford Towers, to M.O.R.E, back to Ford Towers and now Trail Gear.

I have just ordered the Trail Gear universal hoops with some Bilstein 5125's and did have a question to anyone who has ran something similar or not, but have the understanding to guide me through this as i am renting a welder as usual, and want to pay minimum (1 day).

In some cases i have noticed some thick flat stock welded or even bolted in some cases to the frame in order to plate it, and then the hoop weldment burned into that. Evidently it's for extra support/rigidity.

My question: is it necessary? Is the YJ frame that weak that it would tear apart under too much pressure? I would understand in a coil over setup, but for my purposes?
Ford towers are as about as straight forward you can get.... I have a used set cheap.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #35 of 88 Old 05-27-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireLJ View Post
Ford towers are as about as straight forward you can get.... I have a used set cheap.
i went back and forth on this for 3 years lol.

Going with the DOM tubing as it suits my form wants as much as my functional needs. Mall cred. These JL boys are stealing all the attention.

Plus already bought them, just awaiting their arrival.

So any input on any necessity to plate the frame?

post #36 of 88 Old 05-27-2020, 08:09 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I hear that...

I did run a doubler plate between the frame the bottom the shock hoops, but only because I'm running air shocks and they are supporting the full weight. In your situation I don't think it's necessary unless you think you may transition to and air shock suspension later
bruinjeeper likes this.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
post #37 of 88 Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I had the same Trail Gear hoops from WFO back when I had the D30 and didn't plate the frame. Just welded to the face and ran the supports.

bruinjeeper likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #38 of 88 Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

Appreciate that.

Will not be transitioning to air suspension. I like the idea of sticking with leafs (SOA) to keep things somewhat traditional with my end goal for this YJ.

That said, I'm going to burn them into the face of the frame as Timatoe pointed out and go from there.

Thanks again!

post #39 of 88 Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Agreed. I plated, but itís really not necessary for just shocks. Honestly the gussets arenít really needed either. I never ran them when it was just shocks.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #40 of 88 Old 05-28-2020, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know.

I'd like to put the supports in just because they are there. But I'm not going to go through the trouble of pulling the inner fender to do so.

If there is space, I'll do what I can.

post #41 of 88 Old 05-31-2020, 01:22 AM
whodatschrome

Quote:

I ended up just making my own hoops out some 1.5" tube. I welded them directly on top of the frame. I didn't install any gusseting or reinforcement plating, but i did make a removable crossover support bar that connected both hoops together. It was nice to be able to use really long shocks that are up and out of harms way. I pounded on that jeep for many years and never had any issues with the hoops.
post #42 of 88 Old 05-31-2020, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatschrome View Post
Quote:

I ended up just making my own hoops out some 1.5" tube. I welded them directly on top of the frame. I didn't install any gusseting or reinforcement plating, but i did make a removable crossover support bar that connected both hoops together. It was nice to be able to use really long shocks that are up and out of harms way. I pounded on that jeep for many years and never had any issues with the hoops.
I dont have the means to make something like these, but at the sale price of $85 CAD for the deuce, I wouldnt be able to make them any cheaper.

post #43 of 88 Old 05-31-2020, 10:44 AM
whodatschrome

Quote:
I dont have the means to make something like these, but at the sale price of $85 CAD for the deuce, I wouldnt be able to make them any cheaper.
I guess i wasn't to clear in my posting, but i was trying to convey that the route i went with on my shock hoops worked great. Whether you make your own or buy a set of premade ones, it shouldn't make a difference as long as you make your welds strong. And you shouldn't have any issues with the towers tearing off of the frame since you'd only be installing a basic shock rather than a coilover.
bruinjeeper likes this.
post #44 of 88 Old 06-25-2020, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well. They are here. Primed and painted.

I was downstairs messing around with a mock. How did any of you who went with this style hoop hold them in place while you tacked them in?

Clamping force braced by the opposite side of the frame is what I am thinking but havent tried. Would that work?
Attached Thumbnails
20200625_190314_1593131279249.jpg   20200625_201412_1593131287067.jpg   20200625_182948_1593131332426.jpg  

post #45 of 88 Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
im no expert by any means but I would assume c-clamps should hold them in place especially with the round flat spots on the bottom of the hoops. A ratchet strap would be another item i would try using.

Just curious do the hoops come with braces or do you need to make your own?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in