LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 89 Old 10-28-2017, 04:41 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
If you mean moving the shocks to the outside of the frame rail after 8.8, good luck. My rear 35's are too close to the frame to accommodate that, and I've got a c-clip eliminator kit in my 8.8 that moves the rear tires out an inch each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper
Now I'm thinking of picking up 4 and outboarding in the rear upon 8.8 install. Would probably have to flip the calipers/mounting brackets to their opposite side. Hmm.
Besides, moving the shocks out 'on paper' results in a change to the shock response which is effectively like going to a stiffer damping. Because of shorter leverage and overall moment of acceleration is increased. So, if you like your shocks now...

I think it's possible you're into one of those creative sessions where you want to have something fantastic but you start over thinking it. I know, that's how my project front end wound up with a 1" stretch, relocated steering box, tie rod flip, stock spring perches removed, hand made new perches, the stupid Nader bar mounts cut off, and everything sanded, primed and painted when all I meant to do was merely remove the Nader bar and service the calipers. That took up several days spare time...

[size=ď3Ē]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 89 Old 10-28-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I think you'll have to french the towers into the frame to outboard them.
bingo.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 89 Old 10-29-2017, 07:30 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
Now I'm thinking of picking up 4 and outboarding in the rear upon 8.8 install. Would probably have to flip the calipers/mounting brackets to their opposite side. Hmm.
Stay focused! Deal with the front shock mount. Later, when your rational brain kicks in, you'll realize you absolutely do not need to outboard the rears to have an 8.8 in a great running rig.
NHfireLJ and Stitch586 like this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #19 of 89 Old 10-29-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Quote:
Stay focused! Deal with the front shock mount. Later, when your rational brain kicks in, you'll realize you absolutely do not need to outboard the rears to have an 8.8 in a great running rig.
*sigh*...

dammit Don.

kicked in this morning.

post #20 of 89 Old 10-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Randonexplosion

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Like Don said, the 8.8 is very tight when trying to outboard. I used Barnes shock towers frenched in as far as possible and even with an Ultimate 88 kit my tires still touch at full bump.

What you really need to do is measure for what length shocks you actually need and see what fits. SUA will probably only use about 8" travel shocks, but that doesn't mean they will fit well with what you have planned...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

post #21 of 89 Old 10-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Stitch586

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Quote:
*sigh*...

dammit Don.

kicked in this morning.
Don reminds me of the Dos Equis Beer guy, "He don't post often, but when he does, he's right...."

Followed up with the Beer Cheers!
NHfireLJ and bruinjeeper like this.

91 YJ 4.0/AX15/231J AA SYE/ Tom Woods CV
3.5" BDS Springs / .75" Booms / 1"BL
HP D30 /Akebono's /1 Ton GM Crossover Steering
Ford 8.8 / Trac loc LSD w/ disc brakes
35x12.5x16 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Walbro255 MetalCloaks
Kilo-Echo-8 * * *
post #22 of 89 Old 11-03-2017, 09:20 AM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Or go full width 😁imageuploadedbyag-free1509722448.809307.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
bruinjeeper likes this.

YJUnlimited stretch, Links, SBC, Tons, Lockers, and stuff
March 2017 YJOTM/ 2017 YJOTY

post #23 of 89 Old 03-14-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

alrighty, approaching two and a half years on this and want to come full circle by June.

I am ready to move on from my 5100s now, which delayed my momentum on this over 2 years ago. Will be moving onto the 5125s ...sizing will be determined after final set up.

I know a lot of YJs on the /f12 are running hoops - i have access to Trail Gear Universal hoops. Anybody use these? i assume there are no issues, and any issues would be due to poor welding. My welds may not be pretty, but they haven't failed yet.

I will be chopping off and moving the tabs on my D30 onto the top side of the axle tube to compliment articulation. I figured it's just best to go ahead and do this now as the logical next step in this jeep's life is SOA for 2021.

so yes, any commentary on Trail Gear shockhoops is welcome. ANything i might look for, tricks etc.

I can assume based on their appearance that those posted in the previous post of this thread are the Trail Gear kit - but cant say for sure as i am sure a number of them appear similar.

post #24 of 89 Old 03-14-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

sorry - should also note... i have seen a number of the hoops style shock mounts without the brace supports welded in... unless they are gusseted from behind which do not show up in photos...

is there reason to believe it is strong enough with just the weldement surface welded to the frame? Of course the brace supports that come in the kit would be best, but if i cant figure out a way of welding them in without ripping the fender out and have 100% confirmation that they have been run that way to success in the past - i wouldn't mind skipping that ordeal. Laziness becometh I

post #25 of 89 Old 03-14-2020, 06:11 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I ran and am still running the trail gear hoops. For shocks just weld straight to the frame. Iím running my ORIís off them now so I put doublers on the frame. Mine look a little different now because i sleeved them to make them taller for the struts.
danthman likes this.

post #26 of 89 Old 03-14-2020, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
I ran and am still running the trail gear hoops. For shocks just weld straight to the frame. I’m running my ORI’s off them now so I put doublers on the frame. Mine look a little different now because i sleeved them to make them taller for the struts.
Thanks.

No need for the bracing tubes that come with them? I mean if there is space to get in there easily I'll do it. At the time I'll make the call, just starting to gather the info and experiences of others in advance.

I believe @Louie4 runs them as well and havent ever seen the braces in there. Just want to make sure if at that time I choose to skip for not wanting to tear out the fender or liner, I should be ok.

Thanks for chiming in

post #27 of 89 Old 03-15-2020, 07:00 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

John, clean your garage! It must have been that way for years and seems normal to you, else you wouldn't have posted such an embarrassing photo.
shaggyjim, 87TPIYJ and bruinjeeper like this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #28 of 89 Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 AM
bobracing
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Donít have experience with the trail gear hoops.
Ended up bending 1.75 tube 180deg, to fit a 12Ē travel shock. Attached the shock on top of the axle. Shock angles are similar to stock but the mount isnít hanging below the axle.
Attached Images

bruinjeeper likes this.

92 YJ
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/open-mouth-insert-jeep-2878945/
post #29 of 89 Old 03-15-2020, 07:45 PM
87TPIYJ
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks.

No need for the bracing tubes that come with them? I mean if there is space to get in there easily I'll do it. At the time I'll make the call, just starting to gather the info and experiences of others in advance.

I believe @Louie4 runs them as well and havent ever seen the braces in there. Just want to make sure if at that time I choose to skip for not wanting to tear out the fender or liner, I should be ok.

Thanks for chiming in

I didnít run any of the bracing when they were my shock hoops.

Don,
That was in the middle of my build. You get very limited in space when your heep is exploded all over the garage and you have to fit bikes, lawn, mowers etc in there. It was a disaster for a while.
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #30 of 89 Old 03-15-2020, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

sweet that does it.

Trail gear @ $100 CAD for the kit (both sides) is about as good as it gets for up here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in