high oil pressure on my YJ ! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
There is nothing wrong with your engine with 120,000 miles. There will be though, when your p.o.s. oil pressure sending unit goes into fail mode, and starts leaking oil down the side of your engine and down onto the ground at an alarming rate. Do yourself and your engine a favor and get a mechanical gauge, or replace your current sending unit.
i hear ya. sounds easy and cheap. ill try that first. where is that bugger located on a 87 YJ with the 4.2 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
mkleza
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the sending unit. When mine went bad it pegged the gauge at full pressure. Replace the sending unit and you will most likely be good.
post #18 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 AM
YJdad

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
It will get to a point sooner or later when it will blow oil everywhere. I am by no means trying to scare you. You may get many many miles out of it. I just know because I have been through all of this... My 2.5L is on my engine stand right now because I had the same problem. This is very common, YJ's aren't getting any newer. Mine was filling the air box with oil and blowing out the dipstick tube, etc. I drove it like that for quite a while but it needed a fresh bore and new rings in a bad way. I should have the motor back in by this weekend.
yup, I just started stripping mine down. I have a cracked manifold and found a thin layer of oil over the TB and intake, coming from the valve cover and in the air box. I've got 205K on her and a pegged oil gauge even with a new sender. But we love our Jeeps...

94' YJ Stock 2.5L -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/ BFG 30x9.5x15 / Herculiner / Stereo console - Currently parked for overhaul

98' ZJ GCL - Stock V8

75% of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Jeep!

post #19 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

well mines not pegging yet but in the cold weather we are having its hovering around 70-80 running and 40 at idle. might get lucky and its just that sender. dont know how it was cared for prior to my ownership. i am always a little paranoid about a used car this old. i feel like there HAS to be a reason it was being sold.....
post #20 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
YJBlues

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASKS View Post
well mines not pegging yet but in the cold weather we are having its hovering around 70-80 running and 40 at idle. might get lucky and its just that sender. dont know how it was cared for prior to my ownership. i am always a little paranoid about a used car this old. i feel like there HAS to be a reason it was being sold.....
Gas pump or wallet sensor was probably reading higher than your oil pressure guage.

I got the dirty, low down, lovin my YJ Blues
Black Jeeps have longer hoods!
post #21 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJBlues View Post
Gas pump or wallet sensor was probably reading higher than your oil pressure guage.
those gauges were pegged when i bought it !
post #22 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You said you have oil coming out of the dip stick tube, and the oil pressure hovers between 70 and 80 and not below 40... Do you really think the sending unit is bad? I doubt it since it is registering pressure and not pegged one way or another... If it it is registering that high the oil has to go out somewhere (like the dipstick tube etc,)

1991 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, 5 speed
2003 SVT Cobra Supercharged 32V 4.6L, 6 speed
post #23 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
You said you have oil coming out of the dip stick tube, and the oil pressure hovers between 70 and 80 and not below 40... Do you really think the sending unit is bad? I doubt it since it is registering pressure and not pegged one way or another... If it it is registering that high the oil has to go out somewhere (like the dipstick tube etc,)
no i dont really think anything. thats why i was asking you guys with more experience on jeeps. it only blows out the dipstick tube when i fill it to the brim with oil...which i have to do quite often because of the leak. once it is half a quart low it no longer comes out the tube. it is very likely the motor has limited life. wouldnt you sell yours if you knew the motor was ready for a re-build ? i did not plan on having this jeep very long so i did not take it to a shop before i bought it. its too bad if thats the case because otherwise it was well cared for. you may see a black 87 YJ for part out soon in the classified.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't let you down man, I would just drive it, add oil and drive it some more. I drove mine for a couple years doing this. I let the oil get really low so it wouldn't blow too much then I would add a couple quarts I think there are a lot of people driving around YJ's with your same problem. They are just getting old and probably 90% haven't been rebuilt.

1991 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, 5 speed
2003 SVT Cobra Supercharged 32V 4.6L, 6 speed
post #25 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

i agree with that.seemslike a new sending unit would be cheap and easy to do tho. i like working on my cars. i have already donethe waterpump, fuel pump, hoses, starter/solenoid,ect. why not the oil sender ?
post #26 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I run 5.5 quarts of 10w30 year around. It reads higher in the colder weather until it's completely warmed up.

Drive it until the weather gets better then take a look again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 YJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 C3, 2015 Slingshot, 2001 ZX6r
post #27 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
MJMPC

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASKS View Post
no i dont really think anything. thats why i was asking you guys with more experience on jeeps. it only blows out the dipstick tube when i fill it to the brim with oil...which i have to do quite often because of the leak. once it is half a quart low it no longer comes out the tube. it is very likely the motor has limited life. wouldnt you sell yours if you knew the motor was ready for a re-build ? i did not plan on having this jeep very long so i did not take it to a shop before i bought it. its too bad if thats the case because otherwise it was well cared for. you may see a black 87 YJ for part out soon in the classified.

When you say fill it to the brim what do you mean

MIKE

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

post #28 of 34 Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when i put a cheap filter on mine the oil pressure was around 70-80 when i was at cruisin speeds
post #29 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
PASKS
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbelman2009 View Post
when i put a cheap filter on mine the oil pressure was around 70-80 when i was at cruisin speeds
to the brim means to the top of the full mark on the dipstick and you might be onto sometin here....i got a fram on there. but i was getting the exact same reading with a penzoil filter too.
post #30 of 34 Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My oil pressure is around 80 has always been then there as far back as i can remember. I have 290k miles on it and climbing, use Royal Purple, and is my DD.

*I want a half hardtop for my Jeep.

*I'm starting to love my '90 Jeep.

*My Jeep does not get me laid, but who cares.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in