Help YJ dash brake light issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Turn10

Help YJ dash brake light issue

I initially had a rear brake line that busted causing the dash brake light to come on so I replaced all of the rear brakes ( drums ,shoes, wheel cylinders, all new hardware etc) including all of the rear hard lines, master cylinder and lines between the master cylinder and proportioning valve. I bench bleed the MC before installing adjusted the brake push rod. I bleed the rear brakes first starting with the RR, LR, RF, LF. I bled them until I got no air and a good flow of fluid. My question is how come my dash brake light is still on? It goes off if I firmly press the pedal to the floor but once I release the pedal it comes back on. I feel the proportioning valve is ok since I was able to get a steady flow of fluid when I bled them. I have read numerous forums with no luck. I bled the brakes with the engine off. Is this correct or do I have to bleed them with the engine running?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2015, 06:33 PM
kloppk

1992 YJ Wrangler 

1) Make sure the parking brake is fully released and not triggering the light.

You can verify the light is on due to the prop valve by temporarily disconnecting the wire from it.

2) Start the engine and then stomp on the brake pedal HARD a few times. This should reset the switch in the prop valve.
This will only work IF the brakes are completely bled, there are no leaks and the flex lines aren't swelling abnormally.

Baystate Jeepers
Deep Woods Extreme
New England 4 Wheelers
post #3 of 5 Old 03-15-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Turn10

Sometimes the parking brake wouldn't release and sometime it would. so after I adjusted it and tested I am sure 100% it is not the parking brake. Is there anyway to bleed the proportioning valve? could the PV have air in it? Like I said with the jeep running and I mash the brake, the light goes off but once I release the brake it comes back on.

If I mash and hold the brake, the light goes off. while doing this if I set the parking brake the light comes back on until I release the parking brake then it goes off then when I take my foot off the brake it comes back on.

The only thing I can think of is that there still has to be air in the system.

I did start the engine and stomp the brake a few times. Never heard the popping sound like it reset but have pressure to the rear cylinders. Disconnecting the wires off the PV turns the light off. which means its not the parking brake.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Turn10

PROBLEM SOLVED! After countless hours of brake bleeding with no luck I narrowed it down to the proportioning valve. Bought a new one,replaced it, bled the brakes and all is good now. No dash brake light is on and I have good brakes. I took the old PV apart and it was SO GUMMED up I guess Stomping on the petal wasn't enough to reset it. I read countless forums on my issue and most all said it was not the PV. Hope this helps someone else out in the future. 1990 YJ
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2015, 03:45 AM
Drednot

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good to know. Thanks for the update.

91 YJ Sahara, 4.0L, AX-15/NP231, D30/[email protected]
12 Cherokee 4x4,3.7L,42RLE/MP1522, D30M/[email protected]
Emission test=YES
"Non Vi Sed, Arte"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in