Help with Lifts - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Skinard

Help with Lifts

I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ that I want to lift. I've read and read with no decision yet. I'm debating between a 2.5" or a 4" lift. However I can't find the information needed for 4" lifts as far as what modifications are needed to accommodate a 4" lift. Only information I have found is a longer driveshaft. Maybe one of you enthusiast can help me out with information? This will mostly be a trail rig, that being said the trail I wan't to go down is full of semi deep muddy puddles and the mud where I'm located really sticks to your tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Heepo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinard View Post
I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ that I want to lift. I've read and read with no decision yet. I'm debating between a 2.5" or a 4" lift. However I can't find the information needed for 4" lifts as far as what modifications are needed to accommodate a 4" lift. Only information I have found is a longer driveshaft. Maybe one of you enthusiast can help me out with information? This will mostly be a trail rig, that being said the trail I wan't to go down is full of semi deep muddy puddles and the mud where I'm located really sticks to your tires.
The general consensus is that a 4" lift will require a slip-yoke eliminator (SYE) conversion kit on the transfer case, and most likely a new rear driveshaft too.

'91 YJ w/ 4.0, AX-15, NP231J, OME 36Rs, 5/8" booms, BFG A/T 33s
post #3 of 20 Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heepo View Post
The general consensus is that a 4" lift will require a slip-yoke eliminator (SYE) conversion kit on the transfer case, and most likely a new rear driveshaft too.
SYE always requires a new driveshaft since you will need one with a double cardone joint and your stock one is just a single. THe yokes are different as well

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Other possible changes would be your steering(maybe just a drop pitman arm), linger brake lines. Both may come with lift kits. Not sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #5 of 20 Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

With a 4" lift you'll need to remove the track and sway bars, relocate your front brake lines and get a longer rear brake line. I got longer fronts AND relocated them, and it was kind of overkill.

As the others have said, you'll need a SYE and driveshaft, and a drop pitman arm. You'll probably want better shackles, as the stock ones are weak and you'll be putting more stress on them.

If you go spring over you can keep the stock springs and get 5" of lift. It'll flex nicely. You'll still need to do everything else, and add a anti-wrap bar.

EDIT: You'll need longer shocks.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 03:03 AM
itsajeepthang86

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've put a 4" lift on two different YJs. The first thing I'd decide on is if you want to piece something together yourself, or go with a kit. There are plenty of kits available with some very budget friendly while others will give you higher end components. I've used the 4" kit from Rough Country and can't complain. It comes with everything essential for a lift including a drop pitman arm, transfer case drop, bracket relocations where needed, springs, and shocks.

You don't need a to replace the drive shaft with a 4" lift if you run the transfer case drop. However remember that with 4" of life, you will be putting the drive angles around what most would consider the max working angles. This means your DS is going to be a possible weak point, but is not something that is on the required list to simple get a lift on your jeep.

I would highly recommend extended brake lines, though you can get by with stock lines. It would mean adding a relocation bracket for the steel lines, and would still put a good bit of stress on the existing lines. For a few bucks you can find a set of stainless steel extended lines and they are worth every penny.

In short I'd recommend looking at something like the RC lift https://amzn.to/2XRTORD which you could use as a baseline for the minimum components needed. Here is a set of extended brake lines as well: https://amzn.to/2Ycp2SI

Remember these are minimums where cost is a factor. You can always get upgraded components as needed, but it will all come down to what you need vs what you want. Also as a side note, just know that with a 4" lift you are adding lots of stress to the different systems. Like any major change, it will end up showing you what is wearing out. Expect things like U-joints, bushings, misc mounts, etc. will wear out sooner rather than later so any lift you install might lead you chasing other repairs.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Run from Rough COuntry They are junk that ride like **** and you will be replacing springs yearly as they sag. Some people get lucky and they dont sag. Most dont. Look at BDS or Zone. Even Rubicon Express however I cant recomend them anymore. My RE springs flex great but on the highway they are rough riders
Awesome and bruinjeeper like this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 07:24 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I still think piecemealing your components is the best bang for buck.

And you get exactly what you need (and should want).

4 BDS 3.5" springs, 4 correctly valves and sized Bikstein 5100 shocks, .25" lift Currie Greasable boom shackles with hardware and bushings, SS Currie longer braided brake lines and a u bolt flip from the junkyard didn't cost me an arm and a leg and they are some pretty higher end products. I think I paid $200 more than a crappy kit which includes a lot of components a kit from rough country would include that are not required just to sucker you in.

I am pleased with my suspension.

Edit: I should also note that I am in Canada. All of these components listed will cost you much less when your in the US.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #9 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Run from Rough COuntry They are junk that ride like **** and you will be replacing springs yearly as they sag. Some people get lucky and they dont sag. Most dont. Look at BDS or Zone. Even Rubicon Express however I cant recomend them anymore. My RE springs flex great but on the highway they are rough riders
Seconded.

You can look all over this forum (and the TJ forum) and people will tell you to stay away from Rough Country.

EDIT: It's no longer common, but my Jeep had a Superlift kit on it when I bought it. The only thing left from the kit are the bump stop extensions and the springs themselves. The springs are at least 12 years old now. I wouldn't be surprised to learn they are actually 24 years old. They still flex and are even on all four sides. If they've sagged, they've done so evenly.
bruinjeeper likes this.

post #10 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 04:03 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone know if superlift still produces the Black Diamond springs?

Haven't looked into springs or whats out there in at least 5 years.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would not put RC stuff on a riding lawn mower or a bicycle let alone a Jeep. Garbage. Bought my 94 roller with a brand new RC kit on it. Spring eyes on the shackle end sat on the frame rail at the rear of the vehicle. Poorly made. Wrong spring arches. RC has poor customer service. Pure crap. Let me add. These springs were brand new. Never hit the road. Just BS right out of the box. Worst stuff ever.

Have a very close friend that did a lot of RC installs for a "RC dealer" . He says the same thing. JUNK! Wait a while longer if money is the issue. Buy something better.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 PM
itsajeepthang86

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Too each their own
post #13 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yep. Glad for those who don't appreciate real world experiences. Try to help but carry on.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 08:01 PM
itsajeepthang86

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You have your experience and I have my own personal experience with two separate kits. Neither have had the issues you described, but that doesn't discount others experiences.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We're not knocking you, bud, we're going by general consensus. I'm glad your RC lifts have been good for you.

I'll probably end up with Old Man Emu or BDS when I get new springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in