HELP! Jeep YJ RC Lifts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
CMetry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HELP! Jeep YJ RC Lifts

I'm 18 and bought my first jeep. Now I'm looking into lift kits. My buddy with a cherokee bought a RC lift for his jeep and it looks and works great.

I have been reading a bit about Rough Country lifts. They have a 2.5 and 4 inch lift for my YJ.

Half the posts I read are negative and the other half are positive about their leaf springs. Some work great and some sag right away. A few years back their springs used to be really bad is what I've found out. They redid them and changed them a couple years ago after all the complaints and I was wondering if they have gotten any better.

I'm really low on money. I have a 2" body lift and a 1" shackle lift with 33s. I can fit 35s but they would rub a little bit. New fender flares are coming next so I'll trip a little and be able to fit 35s easy. but I want to get some sort of lift where I wouldnt have to trim at all and eventually work my way up to 37s.

Help me out with some of your opinions! It would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
flea2107
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If budget is your main limit then trimming would be the best way to go. Lifting a YJ is not as simple as just putting a lift under your Jeep. You will need to, at some point, buy a SYE, CV driveshaft and if your lift kit does not come with all the other accessories, then you could be buying new links, brake lines, steering components and maybe some other things. Some of the fender kits leave enough room for 35's on a stock jeep, with trimming being part of the install. Either way lifting a YJ 2-4" is not cheap by any means and if you try to save by not doing the entire job at one time, you could be replacing parts faster than you can save for new ones. Start with trimming and get your jeep set with tires and all then lift it once you have the complete budget.
post #3 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the half that are positive, have no choice but to say good things, thye have it spent money on it, and now have to say its good......

it is the cheapest lift you can buy for a jeep..... that shold pretty much be self explanitory....

it is the bottom of the pile, YES there are MUCH better lifts and springs, if this is all you can afford, it will make a nice starter of budget build

you better do some research to get to 37, your gonna need more then lift springs, more like front and rear diffs, SYEs, etc....

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers

post #4 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
the half that are positive, have no choice but to say good things, thye have it spent money on it, and now have to say its good......

it is the cheapest lift you can buy for a jeep..... that shold pretty much be self explanitory....

it is the bottom of the pile, YES there are MUCH better lifts and springs, if this is all you can afford, it will make a nice starter of budget build

you better do some research to get to 37, your gonna need more then lift springs, more like front and rear diffs, SYEs, etc....
^^^^X2 The man knows what he is talking about.
post #5 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
CMetry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah that is way down the road. I know you can't just throw 37s on there. Just taking it step by step.
post #6 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM
YJeeper89
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I got my 4" off of ebay, came with the new n2o shocks, and came with a drop pitman arm, and T-case drop, for 500 plus s&h. I've had it on for about 6-7 months, and she still sits somewhat level, other than the rear being a bit higher/stiffer for the added hardtop weight, which btw i have a soft top, no complaints so far, im running 33's with stock axles, planning on a SYE kit hopefully soon

1989 Wrangler Islander: SOLD
1999 Cherokee Sport: SOLD
1996 Cherokee Country project
post #7 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Jared24knapp
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just installed a 4" on my 87 2.5 depending on motor your going to
Need gears I did... Was planning on budget build but had to spend way
More right away then I planned on if I had to do it all again I would have trimmed and
Cut fenders for bigger tires and saved more to do it all right the first time
Have no complaints about the lift so far three wheeling trips down many more to go
post #8 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetry View Post
Yeah that is way down the road. I know you can't just throw 37s on there. Just taking it step by step.
You're going to spend twice as much money by slowly stepping up to 37's than by making a solid plan to get them under your jeep. If the budget is the issue and you're thinking the springs are going to be the cost factor in the road to 35's you might want to reconsider your options. Giggity hit the nail on the head when he gave you a condensed list of upgrades to run with bigger tires. What's wrong with running 33's? What's your gearing at anyway?

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #9 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

And to answer your initial question, folks are still swapping out their RC springs for quality and regretting throwing money in the wrong direction in the first place. You can get a OME kit for just about as much and don't have to fork over that lump sum all at once if you piece it together spring by spring.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #10 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Rynfw100

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
And to answer your initial question, folks are still swapping out their RC springs for quality and regretting throwing money in the wrong direction in the first place. You can get a OME kit for just about as much and don't have to fork over that lump sum all at once if you piece it together spring by spring.
X2 on this. It's what I did. Except I did a Bastard Pack lift with 3/4 Ton springs, and they felt about as stiff as my neighbors 4" RC lift on his 90 YJ.

Give hotjeepparts.com a look. They're called 2.5" Medium-Duty OME Rear Lift springs. I got all 4 of mine for like $460 shipped. But then you have to buy bushings, which I got from a local AZ place.

My 5.2L V8 swap and Jeep build:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
post #11 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
CMetry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure on my gearing. What is the best way to find the ratio?

I like my 33s but the rears dont have very much tread. The welded rear axle is eating them driving around town. I'm going to need new tires eventually and my buddy has 35s off his TJ he said he would sell me.
post #12 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
deathtrap
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ive been running a rc 4" and 33s for around 3 yrs. It works for the type of Trails I run. (mostly mountan fire roads and moderate jeep trails) the kit was more complete then the more expensive kits when I bought it. I dont
have a s.y.e. but I spent a lot of time dialing in the drive line angles. Yes it is the cheapest spring lift for a yj, But you are installing on one of the cheapest model jeeps you can buy. Im trying to keep mine semi low buck while retaining good reliabiltiy. Hope this helps, just my experience.
post #13 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
Rynfw100

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetry View Post
I'm not sure on my gearing. What is the best way to find the ratio?

I like my 33s but the rears dont have very much tread. The welded rear axle is eating them driving around town. I'm going to need new tires eventually and my buddy has 35s off his TJ he said he would sell me.
Check the Axle Tag on your axles. Your ratio is either 3.07, 3.53, or 3.73.

My 5.2L V8 swap and Jeep build:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
post #14 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
CMetry
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where is the Axle Tag? It's not on the diff cover is it?
post #15 of 46 Old 04-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
It should be fastened to one of the differential cover bolts.

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in