3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 03:24 AM
jeep63

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim
Check you exhaust manifold real close. They like to crack a lot and even a small crack upstream of the O2 sensor will cause you trouble. When I lived in Denver and had to smog check my jeep I would run the tank down to empty and then run E-85 for the test. Most times they had to restart the test computer because it would say "no vehicle detected" It did however always pass by a large margin.
Really?! Awesome idea! Did you ever notice an issue with running it, or did you only put enough in the get through the test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ-Sold
YJOTM 05/15,05/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM
mickcollinsb16b

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Living in Laramie County Colorado, we have the state ran emissions testing. My wifes '01 XJ does not have the secondary cat, just a straight pipe with the exhaust manifold with the 2 pre-cats. Not sure how they always miss the visual inspection but they do and never have called us on it. To pass i just run 10 gallons of 91 octane and a Lucas Octane Booster. Talked to a Lucas rep years ago and he told me that on 10 gallons, the bottle is good for 3 points. So with a tank of "94" octane , the thing passes everytime with just pre-cats. Done it 4 times now.

1989 YJ- Dad original owner given to me in 1997.
2001 XJ- Wifes and currently under construction
post #18 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 04:52 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep63 View Post
Really?! Awesome idea! Did you ever notice an issue with running it, or did you only put enough in the get through the test?
Actually when fuel prices were $5.25 a gallon I started running straight E-85 because it was still like $2.75 a gallon. I started off adding a few gallons at a time and the engine handled it fine so I one day I just said to heck with it and filled up. As you can guess my milage went in to the crapper so in the end I settled on about a 50-50 mix of gas and E-85.
If I had to guess I would think that all the "Guarantee to Pass" additives are just a bottle of methanol or ethanol that is sold at about $150 a gallon.
Another thing with the e-85 is depending on the actual % mix you get it runs something like 100-105 octane so that might help you out a bit as well.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......

post #19 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Actually when fuel prices were $5.25 a gallon I started running straight E-85 because it was still like $2.75 a gallon. I started off adding a few gallons at a time and the engine handled it fine so I one day I just said to heck with it and filled up. As you can guess my milage went in to the crapper so in the end I settled on about a 50-50 mix of gas and E-85.
If I had to guess I would think that all the "Guarantee to Pass" additives are just a bottle of methanol or ethanol that is sold at about $150 a gallon.
Another thing with the e-85 is depending on the actual % mix you get it runs something like 100-105 octane so that might help you out a bit as well.
Wow.
Ethanol has about half the BTU's (and power) of straight gas.
More octane than required will not help power, just the opposite.

Lower octane is more "volatile" than high octane.

Octane is the resistant to detonate. Higher octane, harder to detonate.
Lower octane, easier to detonate.

I boycott anything ethanol that I can. I don't want fricken corn in my gas.
It causes gas to go bad so fast.

Did you know, my Jeep barks the tires going into second? It does.

That guaranteed to pass stuff is full of detergents and stuff that cause the cat to get hot.

Also, make sure you have clean oil for the test. Dirty of fuel contaminated oil can cause a fail.

THANK THE GOOD LORD there is no smog here.
shaggyjim likes this.

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #20 of 21 Old 06-08-2018, 10:22 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Wow.
Ethanol has about half the BTU's (and power) of straight gas.
More octane than required will not help power, just the opposite.

Lower octane is more "volatile" than high octane.

Octane is the resistant to detonate. Higher octane, harder to detonate.
Lower octane, easier to detonate.

I boycott anything ethanol that I can. I don't want fricken corn in my gas.
It causes gas to go bad so fast.

Did you know, my Jeep barks the tires going into second? It does.

That guaranteed to pass stuff is full of detergents and stuff that cause the cat to get hot.

Also, make sure you have clean oil for the test. Dirty of fuel contaminated oil can cause a fail.

THANK THE GOOD LORD there is no smog here.
Don't sugar coat it Chris Just tell me how you really feel?

Actually I'm not an advocate of corn gas by any means I was just pointing out that it burns clean when if you need to get your rig smog tested. At the time I was running back and forth to work at about 50 miles a day and by using hyper mile techniques I was able to stay at 17 MPG highway with the 50-50 mix and about 13 MPG with strait E-85 so It was saving me quite a bit of money to use it. As for power I didn't see much of a loss because I consider the 4.0l gutless and ill mannered anyway so no big deal.
Lastly I too THANK THE GOOD LORD there is no smog here!
P.S. I have two gas stations that within three miles of the house that sell non-ethanal 100% root toot'in real gas. My lawnmower loves the stuff!
Chrisnvegas likes this.

Jim...

SGT USMC.

......YJOTM June 18......
post #21 of 21 Old 06-09-2018, 02:39 AM
Hardhead69
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Glad that there is no inspection or testing of any kind to vehicles older then 1996 here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in