3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
crsimons
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Help! Failed Emissions..... Again.....

Greetings,

I recenlty moved out to Utah and am now subject to stricter emissions than I was previously. I went in for my test and failed the idle originally with a CO% reading of 3.11 (over by 1.91, standard is 1.20). I sea foamed it for 24 hrs, changed the oil/oil filter, added engine cleaner (and drove it til empty, refilled) and changed the air filter. I took it back and failed my idle again but this time only over by 0.09. Does anyone have any advice for what to check/clean/fix in order to bring it under so I can get my utah license plates?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 01:19 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe try a set of Champion Copper Plus plugs.

That & they have this "stuff" at the parts store called Guaranteed to Pass® Emissions Test Formula,
Pass or double your money back.

No smog where I live so don't know if the stuff works. I have heard it sometimes does.
You're so close, might just do it.
Yeah not a real fix but if it passes, it'll buy time to fix it right over the next year.

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #3 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

this is a 1993 wrangler?

first thoughts:
Is engine reaching temp? you are using a @195 degrees T'stat?
Plugs - there is only 4 and removing to inspect - I would REPLACE - use correct plugs.

Was anything printed out - results for other readings?
Map sensor - o2 sensor - TPS ?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
crsimons
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Its a '93. The printout has my High Speed and Idle Readings as well as a visual inspection of gas cap and visible smoke. My T-Stat is @195. Ill check my spark plugs when i get home. Was thinking about redoing the tail pipe o2 sensor seeing I don't think I have ever changed it in the 15 years since purchasing it
post #5 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 03:21 PM
jonnygranada
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Probably not much help, but I believe what jtec said is right in line with your problem solver. If I remember right, if you are failing on CO% it usually means that you are running a little rich. So new plugs would definitely help. A trick I used during my years in CA was to run a hotter plug than was required for the vehicle. This would allow for more fuel to burn and get a cleaner exhaust if you will.... Also try using a nonethanol fuel, it burns a little more efficiently and being that you are in Utah I would assume most gas there is 10% ethanol unless it is 91 or better.

As for the "Stuff" mentioned earlier, I used it a couple of times and as scary as it may sound, for as bad as it smells it has always worked in my questionable vehicles. I never left any fluids in the vehicles when I used it though, so I don't know what the long term effects of it are.....

Good luck!

Side note, most states are different in their smog/emissions checks, like here in NY they go strictly by sensors now since it is mixed in with the yearly inspection. It might be helpful to mention how the test is preformed. IE on a dyno or not, or just a simple sniffer test ect….
post #6 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnygranada View Post
Probably not much help, but I believe what jtec said is right in line with your problem solver. If I remember right, if you are failing on CO% it usually means that you are running a little rich. So new plugs would definitely help. A trick I used during my years in CA was to run a hotter plug than was required for the vehicle. This would allow for more fuel to burn and get a cleaner exhaust if you will.... Also try using a nonethanol fuel, it burns a little more efficiently and being that you are in Utah I would assume most gas there is 10% ethanol unless it is 91 or better.

As for the "Stuff" mentioned earlier, I used it a couple of times and as scary as it may sound, for as bad as it smells it has always worked in my questionable vehicles. I never left any fluids in the vehicles when I used it though, so I don't know what the long term effects of it are.....

Good luck!

Side note, most states are different in their smog/emissions checks, like here in NY they go strictly by sensors now since it is mixed in with the yearly inspection. It might be helpful to mention how the test is preformed. IE on a dyno or not, or just a simple sniffer test ect….

Yeah, and get the engine real hot before the test. No short trip to the smog station and minimal idling before the test.

Heat that b**** up

A Law repugnant to the Constitution is void. Marbury vs. Madison 1803 I'm talking to you, Virginia...
post #7 of 21 Old 06-04-2018, 04:10 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

These are the plugs the engine is designed to run with.

Champion RC12LYC (412) Copper Plus

Running other plugs may have bad results.
These are the best "sparking" plugs out there.
Platinum plugs and splitfire plugs don't spark any better, they're designed for people who don't maintain their vehicles and the split fires are a gimmick.

"Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity"

So if you don't remember changing your plugs or are not running the Champion Coppers, replace them.

post #8 of 21 Old 06-05-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
crsimons
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Alright, I installed the spark plugs, new wires (other ones pulled out) and new distributor cap. Going back after work for round 3! Thanks all for the suggestions. Ill let you know the results.
post #9 of 21 Old 06-05-2018, 02:35 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

was there any tells on plugs? wet, dry, black, tan. oiled, broken?
Chrisnvegas likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-06-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
crsimons
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
The plugs looked an and dry. Ended up failing again. The guy suggested redoing my timing. Any thoughts?
post #11 of 21 Old 06-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you heat the crap out of it and not idle much?
I think our computer sets the timing.

That's why I suggested that stuff too.

post #12 of 21 Old 06-06-2018, 07:27 AM
campingDan

You replaced air filter?
Checked oxygen sensor?
MAP, TPS, ECT sensors?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 21 Old 06-07-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
crsimons
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I drove for 30 minutes at highway speeds. 55+. Air filter is brand new. Haven't checked the o2 sensor/MAP/TPS/ ECT sensors. Will do those next.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
shaggyjim
NARF!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check you exhaust manifold real close. They like to crack a lot and even a small crack upstream of the O2 sensor will cause you trouble.
When I lived in Denver and had to smog check my jeep I would run the tank down to empty and then run E-85 for the test. Most times they had to restart the test computer because it would say "no vehicle detected"
It did however always pass by a large margin.

Jim...

......YJOTM June 18......
post #15 of 21 Old 06-07-2018, 07:02 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Use that crap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in