Heater works, but I get a little coolant inside on high fan - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Rproject

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Heater works, but I get a little coolant inside on high fan

Is this a sign my heater core is on the way out? Sometimes, not every time, but on occasion, I get an ounce or so of coolant on the passenger's side of the Jeep when I run the fan on high.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Either bypass the heater core or replace it, it is leaking and will get worse.

418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !
post #3 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 AM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replace the heater core if you want heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

post #4 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Rproject

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmyj View Post
Replace the heater core if you want heat.
I have heat. Plenty of it. It's just odd that sometimes I get coolant on the passenger's side and sometimes I don't. I figured that if the core is leaking, it would leak all the time.

1996 White ZJ
1987 Maroon YJ (sideways build)
1996 Forest Green XJ

The "sideways" build thread:
post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I have heat. Plenty of it. It's just odd that sometimes I get coolant on the passenger's side and sometimes I don't. I figured that if the core is leaking, it would leak all the time.
When metal gets hot it expands, contracts on cooling. Your core is opening the crack on heating up or cooling off.

If your radiator was leaking, would you ignore it?

418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !
post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM
rambo3489

1989 YJ Wrangler 

YES. You heater core is taking a dump. Mine did the same thing. A little antifreeze on the passenger floor. It went away for a few months then it came back. I think the hole got plugged with crap. Then it came back. I replaced it last week. The core was corroding and had a leak. You might be alright for a while. You can play it by ear. But if things get worse you will need to suck up $50 for a new core. Not too hard to replace. I would just do it.

89 YJ.. My first jeep and I won't let it go. ▀||||▀

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

<a href="
THE YJ MY WAY</a>
post #7 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Ok perhaps I should have elaborated. Replace the heater core if you want heat and don't want the leak. If you don't want the heat and don't want heat, then bypass the heater core. If you like the leak and want to press your luck, do nothing.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
post #8 of 8 Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Loss of coolant thru your heater core could potentially cause you a problem with cooling your engine. Do you want to take the chance of ruining your motor cause you ignored a leak in the cooling system? Remember, the heater core is just another loop in the closed system of circulation of the engine coolant. Since that system operates under pressure, any leak can cause a loss of coolant, which could ultimately result in hot areas not being cooled in your engine. Fix it, or bypass the heater core, either way don't just keep on and ignore it.

BTW, the core si probably leaking all the time. You only notice it on high fan cause that's when the air flow is sufficient to drive the coolant into the interior. Otherwise, I'll bet the coolant is just flowing out the drain on the bottom of the heater box when the air isn't moving it enough to blow it inside and that you haven't been looking close enough for the leak beneath your jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in