Heater Core Flush Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Jeebs
2015 JK Wrangler 

Heater Core Flush Question

I searched and have the Hayne's open...

Trying to flush my heater core and wanna make sure I'm not doing this wrong. I have the hoses disconnected and am trying to run water through with zero going through - all coming right out same line.

Question is does the it need to have the key in the 'on' position or have anything set on the heater control panel before hand or should it always pass through.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Jeebs
2015 JK Wrangler 

Nevermind! I got it....just needed a little umf to get it through!
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 PM
redhatman

1998 ZJ 

So you didnt need anything on? Just disconnected both lines that are parallel, and ran the hose through them? What came out?

-Pat

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Jeebs
2015 JK Wrangler 

Yep. Disconnected the lines and ran the hose through until it was running clean. There was a lot of brownish fluid and some chunky stuff. I am thinking it was all for nothing though. Now that I have everything reconnected I am getting coolant on the passenger floor board so I think I have a blown core.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, sounds as if you have a bad core Jason. Maybe just bypass it for the time being. Tell the lady to put on another sweater/jacket & you'll be okay.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
redhatman

1998 ZJ 

That sucks man...I hear the core on those is a PITA. How much coolant did you need to re-add? Do you have a very hot heater now?

-Pat

I am now a dealer for Iron Rock Off Road
I offer the same great products you already know about,
the same low prices you have been seeing, and with
the same experienced customer support, but I can offer it nearly 24/7

5.9 ZJ 7" IRO, 35s, 8.8, hp30, locked, blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMARJEEP View Post
Those tires look freakin awesome Redhat... took the ZJ up a notch in my book. Now you're at notch 2.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

BTW: Have fun during the new lift kit install party when it arrives. I saw you got a super deal on it!
post #8 of 9 Old 02-15-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Jeebs
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhatman View Post
That sucks man...I hear the core on those is a PITA. How much coolant did you need to re-add? Do you have a very hot heater now?
Actually, I heard its really easy on the YJ. Something like 4 or 5 bolts and it comes right out. I heard a TJ is a royal PITA. Gotta pull apart the entire dash, steering column, etc...
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlue90 View Post
Actually, I heard its really easy on the YJ. Something like 4 or 5 bolts and it comes right out. I heard a TJ is a royal PITA. Gotta pull apart the entire dash, steering column, etc...
Yeh, it's not that bad. I replaced mine about a month ago in under an hour. Of course it's the second time I had that out, about a year ago I replaced the fan motor. From the engine bay, unplug the fan motor and disconnect the drain hose and take off four nuts. Insides disconnect the three cables going to the housing and pull it out. Open the housing and swap it out. Not too bad. Be carefull putting the housing back in to make sure you don't pinch the wiring for the computer, strange things start happening after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in