Has my rear axle shifted over?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-25-2021, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Vincevl

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Has my rear axle shifted over?!

Hey All,

I'm refurbishing a 1989 jeep YJ to hopefully get it back on the road. I just welded in two rear frame refurb kits. That process went pretty well but my frame does not line up with the leaf spring shackles. When I initially undid the shackles I noticed they were off but just kept on going with the refurb.

Both the left and right side are off the same amount so I'm wondering if my axle has skewed but I'm not sure if this is possible. My first inclination was to knock the leaf spring to see if I could align them but I'm afraid of damaging something. I intend to replace the leaf springs all around but don't have them from the supplier yet.

Can someone give me some suggestions on how to fix this.

Thanks!!!

Attached Thumbnails
axle2.jpg  

Cheers!

My jeep is a YJ Wrangler 1989
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-25-2021, 05:58 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is the rear track bar out? It should be, isn't needed. Assuming it is not there, if you just forced it, it would probably be fine. If you want perfect, just replace the u-bolts. With the old ones out the center of the spring will reposition itself the one degree or so and line up fine. You can't reuse the old u-bolts.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-2021, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Vincevl

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your reply and assistance.
The track bar is out. I plan to replace all the leaf springs, shocks, U bolts, etc. in the coming weeks. In the meantime I will apply repetitive percussive force until proper alignment is achieved.

Thanks again!

V

Cheers!

My jeep is a YJ Wrangler 1989

post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2021, 12:23 PM
gehlsurf

I did a lift and didn't take the track bar off, it was off, lol.

Then I got an adjustable front one, slides into itself if you loosen the bolt, and just cut the rears, bolts were crazy tight and I was lazy. Lol.

It was still crooked, but then eventually straightened out. I think when you torque down the bushings with the track bar still on, they kind of stay in that position, until they get bounced around and move back to straight.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that's what seemed to happen to mine.

Tags
shifted axle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in