68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hardtop refurb

Alright all,

i will be commencing the hard top refurbishing soon times. I am going to be gathering all the components i need (monstaliner, new struts, seals, etc). These hardtop corner seals (photo below), am i supposed to have them? May sound like a newbie question - it's just i have never had them. I assume they were lost long ago before i even grabbed my HT from a part-out. ANd without having them, i've never really had a leak or anything.

Also i am looking into making a TJ style latching system as opposed to some damn screws. I have a few write-ups and suggestions on what to use. WHat would work the best (to all you who have done this mod)?
Thanks in advance - as always.

Attached Images

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 07:39 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

following, I don't even bother with those front screws but it sure would be nice to have a latch.
post #3 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
following, I don't even bother with those front screws but it sure would be nice to have a latch.
I actually just went downstairs.... I had latches from my old Bestop sunrider (which i sold for the frameless rampage) and i just riveted them into my windshield frame. i will post pics shortly. i mounted behind sun visors. ideally i would want one more which would mount on the hardtop, and latch to the footman loop on the windshield frame.

p.s - can anyone explain why the liftgate struts are so damn expensive?

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

post #4 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 08:33 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't remember them being expensive, they were off the shelf at Oreilly's
post #5 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Latches as seen below.

Because the former 'screw support' in the fiberglass hard top which runs the width of the hard top is metal. I can simply drill (probably rivet) two receivers into it which would accept these tie down latches. It's just a matter of getting the top on (when ready) and riveting them in line with (and at the proper distance from) the latches themselves so that when i hook it and twist the tie down to tighten the hardtop to the actual frame - it's held nice and tight. I would assume now that these two latches should be good enough to hold if those 8 loose-as-**** sheetmetal screws were good enough.

Excellent - seems like i have answered one of my own questions. That was quick.

Any input on the corner seals though? Also, is there suppose to be some sort of seal running the length of the width of the windshield channel in the hardtop? I too have been running without this since i got the top. Didn't notice any additional noise (then again, i have nothing to compare it too) and also received no leaks.
Attached Images

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #6 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
I don't remember them being expensive, they were off the shelf at Oreilly's
Living in Canada - O'reilly's doesn't apply to me

However, i have read that the generic ones are not as suitable as they are too strong and hold the liftgate up at all times, when the liftgate supports are only supposed to engage and lift the gate and support it if the user lifts it up a few inches.

I'd prefer to just get the actual OEM supports so it operates as it should.

Currently finishing up my cappuccino and going to head down to fab up some 'receiver tabs' which will be used in conjunction with the latches.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #7 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 09:17 AM
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Kwhere did you get those latches ?
post #8 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 PM
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I ran my hardtop with no corner seals because I lost one, I got an annoying whistle at highway speeds, bought 2 new ones from Qtec. Without the seal for the windshield channel you will get a cold draft.
post #9 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 PM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

there are 2 corner seals and a seal that runs the length of the top on the top
post #10 of 154 Old 09-13-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. i just found the entire set at a local 4x4 shop. Seeing as how it doesn't really become necessary until mid December to get the hardtop on - i have time for that. But i do gotta get the monstaliner down on the top before it gets too nippy just so it will cure at a decent rate and properly. GOing to run the interior and exterior of it.

Richard: that was an extra set of latches that i received when i bought the jeep. Guy tossed them in. They're for the old bestop sunrider. This morning after posting this thread - i actually recalled i had them somewhere in storage (i ALWAYS keep Jeep odds-n-ends stashed away in storage - they really do come in handy along the way). Got my riveter and tapped a hole and snapped them in. They're strong a sturdy - if you don't have a rivet gun - i'm sure just drilling and tapping will be fine to secure them. I have an extra couple, and will use one mounted to the hard top sheet metal right above (and in line with) the footman loop attached to my windshield frame so i can have three holding it down snuggly.

I will post up my coming along's on the little refurb on the hard top. And definitely an end product once done. I think i'm not going to mind my hard top at all this winter when i get it all set up properly. I've been dealing with it being kinda of noisy (much noisier than my rampage frameless soft top in fact). It bounced around at the front lip the past two years because of the damn sheet metal screws. By February (2 months in) i was always itching to get it off because of it.

As i said, i'll definitely post up a ton of pics and write ups on everything i did and products used to make the old hard top a pleasure.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #11 of 154 Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks bruinjeeper , I found them , they bestop link lock latches , quadratech sells them for $20.00 apiece
post #12 of 154 Old 09-14-2015, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Right on Richard.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #13 of 154 Old 10-17-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

SOme parts (gas struts), Corner seals (front) and universal weather stripping for tub rail. Got it dense and thin. The last copuple seasons i used thicker (because i thought it would be better and compress). I found the thickness put too much pressure on the bolts that secure the top down to the rails and they would loosen. The rear driver's side corner was under so much stress the fiber glass actually cracked (and now i need to use a large washer to get that 90% tight). I will just use two rows of the thinner and narrower weather stripping, one line on each side of the bolt holes. Zoomed in on the part numbers for those that need them. All parts by OMIX-ADA (they make quality replacement parts for our YJs - i have never had an issue). The gas struts come complete with tab connections for the heater matrix on the rear hatch glass (if equipped). 6 cans Krylon Fusion Satin Black. One can clear adhesion promoter primer. MEK (of course)
Attached Images

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #14 of 154 Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

picked up a couple of these for my sound bar dome light (it was home mocked, took the dome light out of a ford contour at a picknpull) and hard top dome light. Gotta be better than that crappy halogen light (btw its still the original lol). With that opaque white lens, hardly any light gets by - i'm always squinting and i have far above average eyesight. These LEDs should REALLY brighten it up. They replace 211 bulbs and 578 (our hard tops use 211 and the contour dome light is a 578). $3.00 for the deuce. Cheapbay
Attached Images

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #15 of 154 Old 10-18-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

latching system complete. Self-tapping stainless hex head screws into the metal strip that is incorporated in the hard top (formerly used for the crappy sheet metal screw design. The only issue was there is a lip in an awkward spot, if you tap into the metal trim piece below this lip, the latches will not hold down the top tight enough as they bottom out before tension is created. I had to tap into it above this lip, which doesn't allow me to fully 360* turn the latches. As shown in the photos below, it allows about a 320* turn. But they do lock the tension and keep the hard top tight. I simply fabbed some tabs outta metal - bent with the use of a vice. Drilled two holes and done. I'm sure if you pick up the Bestop link latches as a set they'd provide some receiver tabs.

~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in