Hardtop Liftgate Question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 07:45 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyj1957 View Post
On the SWAG kit, what parts do you get with it? Swapping out the tailgate left me with two questions. Where you would attach the tailgate at the bottom, is the metal thick enough to hold the tailgate? Was thinking about adding a piece of steel behind the body for additional strength. Second, is the CJ tailgate thicker then the YJ gate? I think I've got the lift gate thing figured out. I really like what you've done.
Jim
Go look at the swag kit... Pretty self explanatory... Backing plates included.

Tailgate is slightly thinner overall but the top edge is the same as the YJ.. So no change in liftgate contact area.

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 AM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You're exactly correct. What I'm hoping I can do is obtain the proper hardware (twist latch, spring loaded pins, etc) and "re-create" a lift gate similar to the
87 to 89 that you mentioned. May take some creative fabrication. If, If, I mount a spare tire I was thinking about two possibilities. Buying a bumper that has a swinging tire mount attached or utilizing the two holes left in the body where the swing out gate attached and having a fabrication shop build a custom swing out tire holder.
Thanks
Jim

Even if you re-create the twist latch mechanism, you'll still have the issue of the bottom of the hatch needing to be behind the gate to close all the way, not to mention the seal being on the wrong side of the equation. If you can grab a CJ hatch and you are handy with fiberglass, you can probably fab up some striker plates, though I don't know how strong that'll be. Without the striker plates, even a CJ hatch will rattle badly and the pins will eventually chew their way out of the edge. I hate to say it, but if you don't want to be climbing to open your tailgate, either that sweet looking T-handle conversion or a CJ hatch and earlier lid (at least) are in your future.

I'm not familiar with the SWAG kit, but looking at their site it looks like the kit doesn't address the bottom of the glass hatch. Am I missing something?

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!
post #18 of 20 Old 07-25-2019, 07:54 AM
NHfireLJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechman71 View Post
Quote:
You're exactly correct. What I'm hoping I can do is obtain the proper hardware (twist latch, spring loaded pins, etc) and "re-create" a lift gate similar to the
87 to 89 that you mentioned. May take some creative fabrication. If, If, I mount a spare tire I was thinking about two possibilities. Buying a bumper that has a swinging tire mount attached or utilizing the two holes left in the body where the swing out gate attached and having a fabrication shop build a custom swing out tire holder.
Thanks
Jim

Even if you re-create the twist latch mechanism, you'll still have the issue of the bottom of the hatch needing to be behind the gate to close all the way, not to mention the seal being on the wrong side of the equation. If you can grab a CJ hatch and you are handy with fiberglass, you can probably fab up some striker plates, though I don't know how strong that'll be. Without the striker plates, even a CJ hatch will rattle badly and the pins will eventually chew their way out of the edge. I hate to say it, but if you don't want to be climbing to open your tailgate, either that sweet looking T-handle conversion or a CJ hatch and earlier lid (at least) are in your future.
If you use your current top, cj tailgate, w exterior T handles as I did... It all works easily..

AUDREY...95 YJ UNLIMITED LS

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495
SOLD

BETTY...94, Stroker 4.6,35"s, SOLD

style intake

post #19 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

I was thinking, is there any particular reason why the lift gate MUST close behind the tailgate? What I'm gonna do is take the lift gate completely apart and see if there is anything that can be done to alter it. If I can somehow reconfigure the bottom of the lift gate (cutting it) if possible so that the tailgate shuts first. Lots and lots of good ideas and suggestions out there. Got a lot of possibilities to consider. Thanks to all who offers suggestions and comments.

Jim
post #20 of 20 Old 07-27-2019, 08:08 PM
Mechman71
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Whatever sits on the outside, whether it's the tailgate like the YJ or the lift hatch on the CJ, that has to be able to open from the outside before the other. If you're using a CJ tailgate with a YJ top and the tailgate can't be opened from the outside, you'll be climbing through your Jeep to open it. It's pretty simple if you think about it. If you want to close your tailgate over the bottom edge of your YJ hatch, you need to be able to operate the tailgate latch from the outside like a YJ. Vice versa for using a CJ hatch. And yes, the CJ hatch bolts onto the YJ lid, but post-89 or so lids didn't have striker plates for the twist handle pins built in and the CJ hatch will rattle, the pins will chew up the fiberglass eventually. Again it's pretty simple if you think about it.

I like that mod of the CJ tailgate using the pickup cap t-latches, that's pretty slick. Because the latches are moved to the outside, you can close it over a YJ hatch and still be able to open it from the outside. Nice!
NHfireLJ likes this.

'89 YJ "Night Eagle" 4.2 5spd, Spinnaker blue/grey, hard top and doors, mostly stock and RUST FREE!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in