hardtop? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
hardtop?

just picked up a hardtop for the yj going to refinish it before putting it on can't decide between paint or bedliner .which would hold up better and be easy to touch up? as far as color black ,tan or bright white. yj is bright red with red flairs. now it has a grayish/tan soft top anyone have a pic of a red yj with a white hardtop . i found lots of black and tan tops on red but no white ones .i was thinking white because of the hot sun here in N AZ

Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail.jpg   20200520_112502.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 10:43 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Attached Images

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
thanks bruin the first pic was just what i was looking for now to decide paint or bedliner . bedliner would be less prep work

post #4 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 05:15 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsflh View Post
thanks bruin the first pic was just what i was looking for now to decide paint or bedliner . bedliner would be less prep work
Depends on the bed liner.

Are you thinking off the shelf stuff?

post #5 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
one of the 2 part kits on line like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-POL-Rapto...53.m1438.l2649 .
post #6 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't do bedliner unless you don't care how it looks. Spray paint for plastic works well.
Bedliiner fades really fast in the desert. White will probably be tough to keep clean with the heavy bedliner texture.

I would maybe consider Monstaliner, maybe.

Once bedliner is used, if you don't like it, of it turns out bad, good luck. It's a beeotch to remove.

You're going to put on a hardtop... in the summer?

A/C? Paint what ever color you want. While the top is off, install indoor/outdoor carpet inside for insulation and sound deadening. A bare hardtop a pretty noisy and hot in the sun no matter what color.
Using carpet and adhesive (the adhesive sticks really well to the rough fiberglass)

I only use my hard top in the winter. Didn't even use it last year. My Jeep is toasty with just the doors on.

Those eye-bolts look like crap. (sorry, but they do)
I have a home-made bracket that fits on the top for removal and installation with a winch. It's temporary. Then I have a small wheeled cart that the top stands up on so I can store it in the corner of the garage and wheel it around as needed.

I don't know if you're going to take the top on N off and store it, or if you will keep it on.
If you want to see the cart and removal bracket, just say so.
JoonHoss and TRob1 like this.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #7 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 07:24 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I rattle canned mine flat black. Easy to redo (i've had it for 14 years) but part of that depends on what you want. It looks acceptable but not high end

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #8 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 08:15 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I rattle canned mine flat black. Easy to redo (i've had it for 14 years) but part of that depends on what you want. It looks acceptable but not high end
I've done both. Flat black and the black meant for plastic. It didn't list flat or gloss, just black.
It turned out to be a semi-flat. Not quite as flat, but not glossy either. It's probably my favorite now. Easy touch up and more durable than flat without the "ugliness" of full gloss.

I think we used 5 cans per top and we applied two coats.

"Alferd Packer: “Stand up, you voracious, man-eating son of a *****, stand up! There was seven democrats in Hinsdale County and you up and ate five of them."
post #9 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 08:17 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Would that make it "Satin" Black, Chris?

Love it as well.

post #10 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
i wan't thinking about the bedliner stuff being a pain to clean. did you use krylon fusion ? eye bolts were already on it they are coming off soon .i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the bracket and cart although once i put the top on i doubt it will come off very often[may and june maybe , july aug and sept is the rainy season in northern az] i do have ac
Chrisnvegas likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsflh View Post
i wan't thinking about the bedliner stuff being a pain to clean. did you use krylon fusion ? eye bolts were already on it they are coming off soon .i wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the bracket and cart although once i put the top on i doubt it will come off very often[may and june maybe , july aug and sept is the rainy season in northern az] i do have ac
Exactly, Krylon Fusion. That's what we used. I couldn't think of the name.

I've fought with Jeep tops for most of my life. Keeping them looking good.
I've tried most things including a roller! The roller almost worked well but the roller material started sticking to the top like a dog shedding!
Most bedliner material is not UV stabilized. Meaning, it fades.

If it were my top and would be on a majority of the time:

I would pick out a color of indoor/outdoor carpet that goes with the interior colors that I liked. I'd turn the top upside-down and glue it on. Now it's insulated and will be much quieter... and will look good. More comfy all the way around. Comfy is where it's at.

Then I cleaned the outside with Dawn and a scrub brush. Last, I used laquer thinner for a final cleaning.

The Krylon worked better than anything else so far.

I don't discount Monstaliner yet. I've read it's UV stable so it won't fade and comes in many colors.
Let's see if someone has used it. Maybe it's really good for tops?

I'll post pics here of the bracket and stand I made. Removing the top takes a few minutes by myself.

post #12 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 03:38 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you do bedliner, use Monstaliner. I would not use Raptor, I've got a buddy that swears by it, yet his is flaking off in less than two years. My Monsta hasn't faded, chipped or peeled in pushing 8 yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #13 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 04:18 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
If you do bedliner, use Monstaliner. I would not use Raptor, I've got a buddy that swears by it, yet his is flaking off in less than two years. My Monsta hasn't faded, chipped or peeled in pushing 8 yrs.
Agreed.

Not to mention more UV permanent and smoother texture (easier to clean) with a satinesque finish.

post #14 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 06:04 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Did you use it on your top?
Anyway to make it not glossy?

I'm thinking of getting it for my pickup bed, right now I have a plastic liner that is slippery. Good stuff?

post #15 of 20 Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
what type of glue do you use for the carpet 3m spray Adhesive, contact cement or carpet Adhesive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in