hard top wiring harness - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
zackman2091
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hard top wiring harness

does anyone know where i can get a hard top wiring kit for the whiper and the defrost or what i can do to wire it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 09-27-2009, 06:31 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman2091 View Post
does anyone know where i can get a hard top wiring kit for the whiper and the defrost or what i can do to wire it
Your 93 YJ is probabvly the same as a 95YJ. On that assumnption:

The dash harness will probably have a RED defroster socket in it for the rear def switch. It is located in the small removable panel that holds the fog light switch also. The panel can be removed and cut out to accept the rear defroster switch. The tub harness will not have the wiring unless it came from the factory with the hard top option and the rear defroster option. It may have the tubing to deliver the windshield washer fluid though. Mine did.

The RED timer relay socket and timer relay which is RED also should be located near the parking brake mechanism if not then I would suggest that you buy a harness with the wiring, strip out the needed circuitry and marry that wiring to you current tub harness, or fab it up yourself, but it is not that easy to do as you shall see.

I bought a harness off of EBAY stripped out the wiring needed and added it to my harness. The timer relay alone is worth about $35 and it comes without the relay socket. A timer relay is used so you don't burn your Jeep up.

Here is a link to a PDF that shows the wiring schematic for the rear def.

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/95YJ_reardef.pdf

Here is what it says:

ALL WIRING STARTS AT THE RED RELAY SOCKET LOCATED NEAR THE PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY.

C303 IS THE HARDTOP PLUG AT THE REAR OF THE TUB
PLUG C306 IS THE PLUG ON THE WINDOW SIDE OF THE HARNESS.

C203 (BLACK PLUG) AND C204 (GREY PLUG) ARE THE PLUGS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TUB HARNESS AND CONNECT TO THE DASH HARNESS.

BLK/W WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 PLUG C303

FROM PIN #1 REMOVE BLK/WHT WIRE GOING INTO PIN #1 C204 (GRAY PLUG)

FROM PIN #3 REMOVE BROWN WIRE GOING TO PIN #5 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #5 REMOVE LT BLU/YEL WIRE GOING TO PIN #3 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #4 REMOVE DRK BLU/WHT WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 C203 (BLACK)

GROUND CIRCUIT

FROM PIN #2 CHECK FOR BLK WIRE GOING TO A SPLICE TO GROUND NEAR PARKING BRAKE.

FROM PIN #10 AT PLUG C303 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE GOING TO GROUND.

FROM PIN #2 AT PLUG C306 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE IN IT IS FOR GROUND.

The wiring for the wiper/washer is in the dash harness. YTou need the washer/wiper switch which can be had off or another YJ or a mid 90's Jeep Cherokee.

Your tub harness may already have the wiring for the wiper/washer. I'll dig up that information and post it for you. You can check your tub harness connector at the back of your tub, assuming that one is there, to see if the wiring is in the tub harness plug for the hard top.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #3 of 59 Old 09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Here is what I belive is the set up for your tub harness and hard top plug if you have the wiring for the dome lamp washer/wiper and the rear defroster. I may have made a mistake due to a misspent youth and reduced brain function from it!

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....

post #4 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
JuniataCounty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I need to do this - great timing on the post..

edit:

I can not seem to find where I can get the harness: can not find it online, anyone know of a good place?

Last edited by JuniataCounty; 09-28-2009 at 09:47 AM.
post #5 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
czjeeper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

What was the first year for rear defrost?
I have a different hardtop than what it came with from the factory.
It has rear wiper and defrost.
The wiper works great, and I have the newer rear tub wiring harness I got from ebay with the timer. Trouble is, I can't seem to find the lead for the defrost switch.

Disabled US Army combat vet
1999 XJ
post #6 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
What was the first year for rear defrost?
I have a different hardtop than what it came with from the factory.
It has rear wiper and defrost.
The wiper works great, and I have the newer rear tub wiring harness I got from ebay with the timer. Trouble is, I can't seem to find the lead for the defrost switch.
I'm not sure but the dash harness might have as many as three plugs for switches on it. One is for the fog lights a second one is for the wiper/washer and the third which is RED would be for the rear defroster.

Last edited by laybackman; 09-28-2009 at 02:46 PM.
post #7 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 02:17 PM
czjeeper

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Found it.
Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack!

Disabled US Army combat vet
1999 XJ
post #8 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by czjeeper View Post
Found it.
Thanks, and sorry for the hi-jack!
You're welcome. Normally I wouldn't respond to a 'hijacker' but your question helps clarify a possible issue that may concern the OP so you get forgotten!

post #9 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniataCounty View Post
I need to do this - great timing on the post..

edit:

I can not seem to find where I can get the harness: can not find it online, anyone know of a good place?

EBAY is a source or a salvage yard that specializes in YJ's

post #10 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

The red plug in the dash harness for the rear defroster switch is shown in this thread:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...-wires-867035/

post #11 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM
UnFocused
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank YOU Laybackman!!! That schematic solves all of my problems for wiring that in consideration of my mismatched/hybrid/chopped harnesses. You'd posted a long time ago an exquisite write up complete with stock plug terminal wiring changes. That was wonderful for those with stock harnesses, but for us weird clowns it didn't make much sense.

This diagram shows the TRW timer terminal numbers (1 - 5, very hard to see) and now I can finish it out!!

Thank you Sir!! It'll be a piece of cake now!!
I hope to return the favor somehow
post #12 of 59 Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFocused View Post
Thank YOU Laybackman!!! That schematic solves all of my problems for wiring that in consideration of my mismatched/hybrid/chopped harnesses. You'd posted a long time ago an exquisite write up complete with stock plug terminal wiring changes. That was wonderful for those with stock harnesses, but for us weird clowns it didn't make much sense.

This diagram shows the TRW timer terminal numbers (1 - 5, very hard to see) and now I can finish it out!!

Thank you Sir!! It'll be a piece of cake now!!
I hope to return the favor somehow
You can pay me back by "paying it forward"

post #13 of 59 Old 09-20-2015, 03:15 PM
williebad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Your 93 YJ is probabvly the same as a 95YJ. On that assumnption:

The dash harness will probably have a RED defroster socket in it for the rear def switch. It is located in the small removable panel that holds the fog light switch also. The panel can be removed and cut out to accept the rear defroster switch. The tub harness will not have the wiring unless it came from the factory with the hard top option and the rear defroster option. It may have the tubing to deliver the windshield washer fluid though. Mine did.

The RED timer relay socket and timer relay which is RED also should be located near the parking brake mechanism if not then I would suggest that you buy a harness with the wiring, strip out the needed circuitry and marry that wiring to you current tub harness, or fab it up yourself, but it is not that easy to do as you shall see.

I bought a harness off of EBAY stripped out the wiring needed and added it to my harness. The timer relay alone is worth about $35 and it comes without the relay socket. A timer relay is used so you don't burn your Jeep up.

Here is a link to a PDF that shows the wiring schematic for the rear def.

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/95YJ_reardef.pdf

Here is what it says:

ALL WIRING STARTS AT THE RED RELAY SOCKET LOCATED NEAR THE PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY.

C303 IS THE HARDTOP PLUG AT THE REAR OF THE TUB
PLUG C306 IS THE PLUG ON THE WINDOW SIDE OF THE HARNESS.

C203 (BLACK PLUG) AND C204 (GREY PLUG) ARE THE PLUGS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE TUB HARNESS AND CONNECT TO THE DASH HARNESS.

BLK/W WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 PLUG C303

FROM PIN #1 REMOVE BLK/WHT WIRE GOING INTO PIN #1 C204 (GRAY PLUG)

FROM PIN #3 REMOVE BROWN WIRE GOING TO PIN #5 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #5 REMOVE LT BLU/YEL WIRE GOING TO PIN #3 C204 (GRAY).

FROM PIN #4 REMOVE DRK BLU/WHT WIRE GOING TO PIN #1 C203 (BLACK)

GROUND CIRCUIT

FROM PIN #2 CHECK FOR BLK WIRE GOING TO A SPLICE TO GROUND NEAR PARKING BRAKE.

FROM PIN #10 AT PLUG C303 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE GOING TO GROUND.

FROM PIN #2 AT PLUG C306 CHECK FOR A BLK WIRE IN IT IS FOR GROUND.

The wiring for the wiper/washer is in the dash harness. YTou need the washer/wiper switch which can be had off or another YJ or a mid 90's Jeep Cherokee.

Your tub harness may already have the wiring for the wiper/washer. I'll dig up that information and post it for you. You can check your tub harness connector at the back of your tub, assuming that one is there, to see if the wiring is in the tub harness plug for the hard top.
Thank you so much for this info. I do have the defog switch plug under the dash but not the red relay plug. the rear tub connector does not have the wire for the defog going to the plug. but the hardtop is wired for it. so ill have to shop for a harness and marry it in like you suggest.
post #14 of 59 Old 09-20-2015, 06:12 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by williebad View Post
Thank you so much for this info. I do have the defog switch plug under the dash but not the red relay plug. the rear tub connector does not have the wire for the defog going to the plug. but the hardtop is wired for it. so ill have to shop for a harness and marry it in like you suggest.
Here is the tub harness for $54 + $12.13 S&H! That is $66.13 Offer him $47.87 for it + the $12.13 That would be $60.00 for the harness +S&H and see what he says.

The red timer relay ALONE is worth $36.00

post #15 of 59 Old 09-24-2015, 04:15 PM
williebad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

williebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Here is the tub harness for $54 + $12.13 S&H! That is $66.13 Offer him $47.87 for it + the $12.13 That would be $60.00 for the harness +S&H and see what he says.

The red timer relay ALONE is worth $36.00
I was shopping the harness on ebay when I received your message. I got it for 45.00 plus shipping. I removed the relay portion of the harness and wired it into the plugs. ran the black and white wire to the rear plug and I grounded the black wire that was spliced from the new harness, to the chassis. I have a new defog switch. when I turn the switch on I hear the relay click but the switch does not light. im wonder if the relay is bad. what do you think???? the hardtop plug wiring all looks good so im not sure what happened.

Last edited by williebad; 09-24-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in