Hard top storage? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Reena10589
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hard top storage?

I live in an apartment and have 91 renegade (yj), I would love to put a bikini top on it, but i have to find somewhere to put the top first... It measures out to approx 41/2' by 7'. What are the odds that I could squeeze it into a 5'by 10' storage unit? My fiance already nixed the idea of a new coffee table for the summer lol any ideas? And, no, I don't know anyone that could store it for me, that would just be to easy lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
CMFast
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I hang mine from my patio in the summer. A 5'x10' would be tight, but it should be okay. If it has exposed rafters I'd try to hang it, makes it easier to take it off the jeep, walk it over to some ropes and hang it. If it's just you and your gf, it's going to be a pain. 3 people helps.
post #3 of 38 Old 05-21-2011, 09:39 AM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This topic caught my eye when I was clicking over to the TJ Tech Forum.

Do you live in an apartment complex where you feel safe enough to use a soft top? I'm assuming you do since you asked about hard top storage. It is something you should consider.

I was in an apartment building in downtown Chicago when I first started researching Wranglers. I decided to hold off until we got a house because I didn't want to deal with a lot of cautionary problems I'd heard about. I got some good advice when I was looking for my Wrangler: don't lock the doors and keep nothing of importance inside.

As for the storage solution, Public Storage has 5' x 10' units that would easily fit your hard top. I did a quick search of Public Storage locations based on your location in Dover, Delaware and found this facility. A 5' x10' storage unit goes for $65 per month. The first month of storage is half that price.

I built this hardtop storage dolly for mine. According to the headline on the site, it works for YJ tops, too. I made one slight modification to the plans: I added two more caster wheels to the middle of the longest 2x4's. You can see one of them in this picture. It's much sturdier with six caster wheels instead of four.

Good luck!

"And the Chicago Cubs win the World Series!"

post #4 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Reena10589
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I like the additional wheels on the base, that's a good call.

I wasn't even going to run with a soft top, I was going to do a bikini top. The only real thing of value to my jeep is the CD player face plate, which I lock in the center console anyways. If they really want the broken umbrella they can help themselves lol.

I'm thinking the the public storage would be the way to go, I don't have anywhere to store it (upright or otherwise) and that way I know it's not sitting directly on the ground or having kids jump on it...

Thanks for the research!
post #5 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 09:33 AM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reena10589 View Post
I like the additional wheels on the base, that's a good call.
Thanks! I'm kind of surprised they're not included in the plans.

Another quick change I forgot to mention: use longer screws than the 1/2" they recommend for the caster wheels. I'm pretty sure I used 1" screws instead; I'm on vacation or I'd check the box I bought.

Definitely get a couple pieces of carpet (or other thick cloth) for the contact points between the hard top and the dolly, too. If nothing else, it'll give you peace of mind when you watch the back window glass rest on the dolly. A staple gun works great in affixing the fabric.

Quote:
I wasn't even going to run with a soft top, I was going to do a bikini top. The only real thing of value to my jeep is the CD player face plate, which I lock in the center console anyways. If they really want the broken umbrella they can help themselves lol.
I've got a Bestop Supertop. It was a little daunting to take down and put back up, but I eventually got the hang of it. I'd like to see future windshield designs offer more than just a strip of plastic tucked into a wedge, though. A piece of hardware that makes use of the latch points would be nice!

Quote:
I'm thinking the the public storage would be the way to go, I don't have anywhere to store it (upright or otherwise) and that way I know it's not sitting directly on the ground or having kids jump on it...
Hahah, that makes me cringe just thinking about it! Surprisingly, there's only one PS near you (they're all over the place here in Chicagoland). That might mean there's a few other cheaper options. Shop around!

Quote:
Thanks for the research!
No problem! Being a Wrangler newbie, it's nice to be able to help out in the rare occasions that I can!

post #6 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 PM
firefighter315

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I built the same dolly for my YJ top and it works great for me. Only takes up a small bit of floor space and it is very secure. I used some carpet remnants for all of the contact points. An overhead hoist has to be the easiest solution for 1 person removal/install, but that doesn't sound like an option for you right now. I'd definitely recommend the dolly. Much cheaper than the catalog versions, and probably more sturdy in the long run.

My YJ Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 PM
goAF

1992 YJ Wrangler 

That's tough--yanks have it rough--Snow and all that business. I'm gonna just sell mine.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-22-2011, 11:21 PM
firefighter315

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goAF View Post
That's tough--yanks have it rough--Snow and all that business. I'm gonna just sell mine.
Surely the "Y" word wasn't directed at me.... Them's fightin' words!

My YJ Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 09:50 AM
SpideYJeep

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybomb View Post
I built this hardtop storage dolly for mine. According to the headline on the site, it works for YJ tops, too. I made one slight modification to the plans: I added two more caster wheels to the middle of the longest 2x4's. You can see one of them in this picture. It's much sturdier with six caster wheels instead of four.

Good luck!
I tried to order from the vendor via the website and I was repeatedly returned to the 'press confirm' page, despite hitting 'confirm' over & over & over again. Hmmm...how did they deliver the plans to you?

Wrenching isn't the problem, it's the brains attached to the hands...unfortunately, I'm lacking some of the former so that's why I'm asking you guys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
post #10 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 10:26 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I couldn't get that site with the plans to open, but based on that picture, it looks quite similar to one I built before. I just used some 2x4's and four casters from Harbor Freight, I think I spent about $15 one it. It's not real pretty but it works. It's basically a rectangle with wheels in the corners, super easy to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
goAF

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Surely the "Y" word wasn't directed at me.... Them's fightin' words!
Whoa! haha. No no, not at Kentucky brethren. No way.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM
jeffreybomb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
I tried to order from the vendor via the website and I was repeatedly returned to the 'press confirm' page, despite hitting 'confirm' over & over & over again. Hmmm...how did they deliver the plans to you?
You know, I don't actually remember! I thought it was delivered to an email address you provide, but I got stuck at the same "press confirm" page over and over again, too.

If you want to PM your email address, I've still got a copy of the plans and can just email it to you.

post #13 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM
18Dmedic
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I live in an apartment complex too...and yeah, hard top storage is an important issue. I bought a used two piece hardtop for my TJ and when I got it home, I installed it on the Jeep and the front piece that fit over the windshield was so warped that I could not EVER put it on. I ended up selling it for cheap. I am storing mine in a nice area in my parents' back yard in a tarp away from the elements and off the ground.

Hope you find a good place to store it. Don't let it warp on you.

***USED 15 DAYS*** JKS Adjustable Track Bar for sale $150 plus shipping. PM IF INTERESTED...
***NEW*** TJ Mirror Relocation Brackets $30 plus shipping.
***USED***TJ Flares set of 4 in great shape. $120 plus shipping.
post #14 of 38 Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Noltz
YJ Wrangler 

At $60 a month, how long until it would have been cheaper to just buy one in the fall? I know I'll want one for winter too but it'll cost ya twice what buying it will in the fall, no?

You don't have anyone with space that can store it for ya? Even if you have to drive 100 miles, you're only gonna do it twice a year.

-Noltz
'91 Frankenheep YJ. 4.0, 4" BDS, Richmond 8.8, Titan 12k, 35" KM2's, rust.
'88 YJ, 4.2/4.0 head, +4Ĺ" & shackles, BFG 33's (sold)
post #15 of 38 Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Reena10589
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good point, I had only considered anyone within a 15 mile radius. It might be worth it to see who's outside city limits that might have room

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in