Hard top to soft top conversion - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ThatGuyCollin
  • 3 Post By DirtKar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
gpd387

Hard top to soft top conversion

I am looking at a Wrangler, it is a hard top with full doors. My thing is I prefer the soft top with no doors or half doors. How difficult is it to make this conversion, and how hard is it to remove the doors on a 98 Wrangler? My last jeep was a 79 CJ5, so it's been a while since owning a jeep.

Lastly, where can I purchase a good quality soft top?

TIA,
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-15-2016, 09:32 PM
ThatGuyCollin
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is an easy swap. I switched from a hardtop to a frameless top and it took me a few hours to put on all the necessary surrounds and retainers plus the top itself. The doors should just lift off if there is no nut on the bottom of the hinge. I have had great luck with my Rampage Trailtop.

PS a 98 wrangler is a TJ
bruinjeeper likes this.

94 YJ 2.5 w/ 33x12.5's, 4.88s
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2016, 01:15 PM
OHbandit
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Looking to due the same myself to a 92 YJ. Would like input on brands, frameless VS. framed etc...

post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same situation , I'm looking at the new improved Softopper frameless top
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 09:23 AM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

And they say there's never any hardtops for sale... 3 right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
gpd387

I remember when...I had a 79 CJ5 and I had to replace a top it was so easy. Now, there are so many options to choose from and since I am getting back into the jeep world so much has changed. I am really torn between two 98's that I have been looking at. One has a hard top the other a soft top, but with the other money I need to spend to get them through the WV inspection I am not sure which way to go. As I explained to my wife, I prefer the top off and no doors, but a hard top doesn't lend that choice to me. Plus this one has the full metal doors, so it just seems to be a headache. I'm waiting on the seller to give me a call before I make my decision on Monday (hopefully).

DirtKar, If I knew someone that was close and was willing to do it, I would probably do an even swap as long as the soft top and half doors are in as good of shape as the hard top.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Run the Hard Top in the winter, and then run the Soft Top Spring, Summer and Fall. But in the South, I don't think we will have many more winters... this past winter only had two weeks of sub 35* weather and I only ran my Hard Top for like two months, lol
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 10:21 AM
jamiedrchiro
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased the rampage frameless soft top for my 94 about 2 months ago. I absolutely love it. So easy to take off the back and sides. Bout a 5 min job... However this is my first jeep and first top too, so I do not have anything to compare it too.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd387 View Post
I remember when...I had a 79 CJ5 and I had to replace a top it was so easy. Now, there are so many options to choose from and since I am getting back into the jeep world so much has changed. I am really torn between two 98's that I have been looking at. One has a hard top the other a soft top, but with the other money I need to spend to get them through the WV inspection I am not sure which way to go. As I explained to my wife, I prefer the top off and no doors, but a hard top doesn't lend that choice to me. Plus this one has the full metal doors, so it just seems to be a headache. I'm waiting on the seller to give me a call before I make my decision on Monday (hopefully).

DirtKar, If I knew someone that was close and was willing to do it, I would probably do an even swap as long as the soft top and half doors are in as good of shape as the hard top.
A hardtop and full doors are worth some big bucks. You could go with the hardtop Jeep then sell the top/doors and get whatever soft top you want. I suppose it depends on which of the 98's you like better regardless of the top configuration. For what it's worth, I really like my hard top in the winter and if I had AC I may even leave it on longer.

Quote:

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do we have a new Jeep?

Quote:

post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 AM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in