(Hard) Labor Day - Body Mount Replacement! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-30-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
KnuckleheadLabs
1993 YJ Wrangler 

(Hard) Labor Day - Body Mount Replacement!

After a number of repairs to The General this summer, I've now been staring at a new set of body mounts sitting on my workbench for about 3 weeks. I think it's time. The mounts are OEM replacement height.
The old mounts are crusty. I'm going to make some cutouts on the tub and try to loosen things up with PB and a torch. The spot where the driver's side rearmost mount goes into the tub is completely gone, so I'll have to replace some steel there, and the mount up by the radiator looks shaky too. A couple of the captive nuts are loose inside the tub, so I may have to just punt and cut the bolts and pull it all out thru the tub.

Here's the rearmost mount; there should be some steel where the arrow points:

Here's the one by the radiator; that whole area around the mount looks a bit soft:

This is representative of the other existing mounts.... this is the one behind the seat.

My plan goes something like this: cut my way to the nuts under the seats and the rear, PB all the mounts for a day, and see what bolts will come loose with a torch and some muscle; I don't want to have to cut all of them and end up with the tub out of alignment. Once i can jack one side up the needed 2" or so to get the new mounts in I'll just have to see how it goes. The rearmost mount that where it used to fasten to the tub i figure i can insert some stock steel and weld it up after i drop the tub back down. The front mount I'll just have to see what needs fixing/welding after I get the old one out. One major concern I have is if I can't repair those two completely rotten mounts to my satisfaction, I'll have to install 9 mounts and take it to a shop to weld up the front bracket and the rear of the tub. Willing to hear opinions as to whether I'll be ok with those 9 mounts for a short trip to the shop if it all goes code red.
Mostly I'm looking for any advice & encouragement...The General is running real nice, except for the hard ride I think is the result of the worn mounts...sometime i feel like there's gonna be blood in my urine after a long ride. Shocks are not that old, and the springs are in good shape, although new shocks are in line after i fix these mounts.
On the other hand I could just enjoy the jeep for the long weekend and put this off another week. I'll see what kind of inspiration this post generates and maybe this afternoon I'll bust out the cutting wheel and a quart of PB Blaster. Cheers to all, best wishes for the long weekend!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-30-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
KnuckleheadLabs
1993 YJ Wrangler 

photo embed didn't work- attaching here if anyone interested
Attached Thumbnails
20190830_100737[1].jpg   20190830_100812[1].jpg   20190830_100756[1].jpg  
post #3 of 5 Old 08-30-2019, 10:03 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck. You gots some corrosion going on there.

My jeep is clean and I still have managed to break 4

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 08:31 PM
Trjeeper

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Did you fix the rust issues in the rear body mount and how did you do it? I have the same issue with a 95 YJ I just bought.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i didnt see anything in his photo. lol. nthing to fix when all the metal is gone.

fast forward to 4:52 of this video and check out this fix. LOL

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Tags
body mounts , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in