Harbor Freight Safety Recall! - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
JeepSolid
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Harbor Freight Safety Recall!

I thought this was super important! Harbor Freight has recalled some of their 3ton and 6ton jack stands. Item #'s 56371, 61196, 61197.
I've heard of too many injuries and worse. Stay safe out there! Here's my video on the recall. I hope this helps someone out.

Check out my Jeep repair videos on YouTube at JeepSolid.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up.
post #3 of 28 Old 05-20-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
JeepSolid
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
No problem! I just hate hearing stories of people found by their family after being crushed under cars. Not often, but it happens. If this can help even 1 Man or Woman to return safely to their family, I'll be happy.

post #4 of 28 Old 05-20-2020, 09:03 PM
MacQ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Had a jack stand fail on me about 17 years ago (bought it from Sears back in the mid 80's). It folded up, on itself. Thankfully, I was still young enough and fast enough to get my fanny out as well as able to drag my 12-year old son out from under the truck in the process. To this day we use two sets of jack stands as a safety precaution. We also have the failed jack stand mounted on the garage wall as a reminder.
underscore likes this.

Last edited by MacQ; 05-20-2020 at 09:19 PM.
post #5 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 06:37 AM
cpia84

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpia84 View Post
Not sure If this is the best place to post this but Harbor Freight has announced a recall in their jack stands. I took a screen shot of the information.

Attachment 3909783
I posted this in the YJ Non-Tech chat yesterday as well. My HF Jackstands are about 6-8months old and have a different part #.

hf-jack-stands-recall-notice.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have about a dozen of these but only one has a sticker still on it. partial number does not match. I sent an email to HF asking if there is another way to identify. Would rather not return mine if I can help it because I welded a 12x12 plate to bottom of all of them will update if I get a response

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
dang i bet i have a few of these. now i have to go check. Thanks for the heads up.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 10:27 AM
GTS225

The problem is that the ratchet teeth on the moving post of the stand wasn't cast very deep, and thus has limited engagement. I've got at least one pair of that part number that I'll have to exchange.
Too bad that Chinese suppliers are about the only option anymore, no matter what the "brand" name is.

Roger
Awesome, mark1305 and JeepRonibo like this.
post #9 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 10:58 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
The problem is that the ratchet teeth on the moving post of the stand wasn't cast very deep, and thus has limited engagement. I've got at least one pair of that part number that I'll have to exchange.
Too bad that Chinese suppliers are about the only option anymore, no matter what the "brand" name is.

Roger
can you post a picture or two of what the bad ones look like?

THX

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #10 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 05:46 PM
GTS225

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
can you post a picture or two of what the bad ones look like?

THX
I'll see what I can do in the morning.

Roger
93YJfalcon likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Roger
Thanks. Since my 6 ton stands don't have good ID tags/numbers I can reinspect them tomorrow and will know what to look for. Pretty sure they have deep enough teeth because they have always tried to be a PITA retracting the pawl when releasing them. But they'll get a close look.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.
post #12 of 28 Old 05-22-2020, 11:17 AM
GTS225

OK, gang. Here's pics of jack stands that I have. Both sets are "rated" for 6 ton, and both are Chinese manufacture.

In this first pic, the top one is from the HF stands. You can see a difference in the cast depth of the ratchet teeth.

In the second pic, the HF piece is on the left. Did this so there was two different angles on the parts.

Make your own judgement. As for me, the HF pieces are going back. If the engagement pawl is also poorly cast, there's not much holding your car up.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
stand1.jpg   stand2.jpg  
93YJfalcon and jbolty like this.
post #13 of 28 Old 05-22-2020, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
JeepSolid
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great pictures. Be safe everyone!

post #14 of 28 Old 05-22-2020, 02:06 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

I returned mine today and got a $54.29 credit. I plan to buy pair from Northern Tool with a second locking pin:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6194_200756194

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #15 of 28 Old 05-22-2020, 02:36 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
OK, gang. Here's pics of jack stands that I have. Both sets are "rated" for 6 ton, and both are Chinese manufacture.

In this first pic, the top one is from the HF stands. You can see a difference in the cast depth of the ratchet teeth.

In the second pic, the HF piece is on the left. Did this so there was two different angles on the parts.

Make your own judgement. As for me, the HF pieces are going back. If the engagement pawl is also poorly cast, there's not much holding your car up.

Roger
thanks. looks pretty shallow

holy crap, just went to count. I have 12 six ton and 4 twelve ton. Hopefully they are all the good design because I don't want to reweld all the bottom plates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in