Grinder Got My Windshield Good... How to fix? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Grinder Got My Windshield Good... How to fix?

So a few months ago I had my windshield down to get to a bolt to take off my dashboard. It was super stubborn so we decided to use the grinder to get at it. That was a bad idea to rush into, neither of us thought to put rags on the windshield since the sparks were going in that direction under the glass None the less it has scratched up and "melted" part of the wiper. So now my windshield which wasn't even a year old is no longer smooth in that area.

I have tried the finest steel wool that I could find with water. And I'm not sure fine sandpaper would be any different. The steel wool only helped in the faint areas but not the worst parts. Does anyone else have an idea how to get it smooth again? I don't really want to use a coarser grain because I'm afraid that might scratch more of the windshield. Help me save my windshield.

Thanks.
Courtney

1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Smtty58

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try shaving them off with a single edge razor blade. Works on my welding lens.

90 YJ, 4.2, AX-15
86 K1500, 305, 700R4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 AM
_JEEP_
1989 YJ Wrangler 

same problem, excpet on a patio door, i was grinding on the balcony and i got some molten sparks and they melted into the patio door. I sanded with fine sandpaper, and steel wool, i took all the metal sparks off the window and then i took and propane torch and just heated the area up to smooth out the surface because it was very bumpy.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea the razor worked awesome! It seems much smoother, you can barely feel that it is there, though I can still see the line and its mostly in my line of sight when I drive. So I think I might try 1000 grit wet sandpaper, I just bought for my friends motorcycle. It seems smooth enough to not make any damage. But much better than before, thanks for the advice all!

1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
post #5 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Dont use sandpaper on the windshield!!! Its tempered glass and it will crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #6 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sandpaper will leave scratch marks, even if you wet sand. Get a glass (or plastic as the case may be) buffing compound and give that a try. There's a recent thread on this site relating to polishing a windshield with a product called "Flitz" (I think).
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
95GreenWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Oh ok, no wet sanding then. I thought it would have been just as equal to the fine steel wool. Guess not. I'll have to do a search for the windshield polishing. Thanks guy I guess you saved me from making it worse on that one.

1995 Green Jeep Wrangler
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 AM
tuckinauster

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GreenWrangler View Post
Oh ok, no wet sanding then. I thought it would have been just as equal to the fine steel wool. Guess not. I'll have to do a search for the windshield polishing. Thanks guy I guess you saved me from making it worse on that one.
Uber fine steel wool wont put the little scratches in the window that sandpaper will, since the window is tempered and has lots of internal stresses the little scratches grow into big cracks..... Anyway, I would try Flitz or some other polishing compound. Just make sure its the least abrasive that you can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
post #9 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If it's only a line of defect is at the wiper park area, why bother fixing it beyond the razor blade work you already did? If you keep missing with it to make it perfect (which ain't gonna happen), you will bugger it up worse for sure. Cut your losses now and move on.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in