• 3 Post By Boojo35
  • 1 Post By fishadventure
  • 1 Post By jsawduste

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Greasable shackle bolts

I have 2” BDS springs. I have 1” lift boomerangs shackles made by a guy on JF. Don’t remember his name. Can I buy just the greasable bushings and bolts? Any specific size that I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 07:10 AM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
I have 2” BDS springs. I have 1” lift boomerangs shackles made by a guy on JF. Don’t remember his name. Can I buy just the greasable bushings and bolts? Any specific size that I need?

Sure, google provides lots of options, be sure get the right size, I imagine they're 1/2", maybe 9/16"

Trying to weld has honed my grinding skills

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 07:39 AM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I went this route a few years ago and at the time I found it cheaper to get a whole set with shackles, bushings, sleeves and bolts. But, they are long gone. They clog, don't seem to help flex much and the fittings kept getting smashed. I just take them apart and grease once a year now.

bolts on frame side are 9/16. shackle side, 1/2
TSEJEEPERS, paulhead and NHfireLJ like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #4 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 07:56 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

As @jbolty pointed out... they will clog if not setup properly. Its finicky and tedious but you have to ensure you stick the greasable bolt through the sleeve in the orientation where the grease passage in the bolt lines up with the grease passage in the sleeve.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
~YJOTM JULY '19~
post #5 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 AM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think I read somewhere they're weaker because of being hollow. I'd just get some good grade 8 bolts and light coat of white lithium grease on the bushings and you'll be fine.

post #6 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys

'87 reg. historic, 2" bds springs, 1" boom shackles, 1" daystar BL, 31" Intereco trxus, Crager soft 8's, steel braided brake extensions, monsta liner
post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed that my greaseable bolts were grade 5 and have a hole drilled in them for the grease. I don't think you really have to worry about them breaking unless you start jumping your jeep regularly or just totally neglect your suspension for many years. Grade 5 has a shear strength of 74000 psi minimum. If you do the math, the area of a half inch bolt is 0.2 which makes the shear strength of that bolt equal to 14,800 lbs and your 3-4k lb jeep is sharing that weight over 8 bolts (2 per leaf spring counting the bolts in the shackle as 1 since the load on the top bolt is basically the same as the load on the bottom).

That said... I have greaseable bolts on my jeep and they are so messy. I probably break a grease fitting every other wheeling trip as well and have yet to replace any of them so they've effectively become a heavily greased standard bolt. Just go to your local hardware store and buy some grade 5 or grade 8 bolts and called it a day. Grease everything up before you install it and you'll be golden.
jbolty likes this.

post #8 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
I think I read somewhere they're weaker because of being hollow. I'd just get some good grade 8 bolts and light coat of white lithium grease on the bushings and you'll be fine.
So. You live in California..... LOL.... Here in Michigan or other salt belt places, White Lithium grease is garbage. JS. Some good anti-seize compound may be a better answer.
paulhead, Siva283 and bruinjeeper like this.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 08:19 PM
paulhead
if it works fix it

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
So. You live in California..... LOL.... Here in Michigan or other salt belt places, White Lithium grease is garbage. JS. Some good anti-seize compound may be a better answer.
Yeah I see the cancer you guys grow on your jeeps and it makes me cringe.

post #10 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bersk is the guy that made your shackles.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-14-2020, 08:16 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
I was thinking to myself, “ Isn’t white lithium grease for seat tracks and steering shaft cams?“

Golden grease or red long grain stuff survives in the salt belt. Blue is good too but it doesn’t seem to play as well with other greases like Gold and Red. No matter what the label compatibility days.
Plus, it’s good for wheel bearings, ujoints, everything.
White lithium can probably wash out of your shackles when your neighbor’s kid runs their dishwasher.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #12 of 15 Old 02-14-2020, 09:13 AM
mikewiz38
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For what it's worth, I've read that greasable shackles aren't best because a lot of the chassis lube grease will make the rubber bushings expand and bulge. It's different if you use poly bushings. When I installed mine with rubber bushings, I ended up using the sil-glyde instead.

It worked well, but I do have creaks when I go over bumps slowly, IE: pulling over the curb in the driveway. I think it's the shackles and bolts, but I don't know for sure.

Maybe I should just fill them with chassis grease, maybe not. I just read that the petroleum based greases and rubber aren't a good mix.

1994 Wrangler YJ - 4.0L - 5 Speed
post #13 of 15 Old 02-14-2020, 11:35 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Define “rubber” 🙂

I’ve wrecked a few fixed-end bushings that are impossible to ‘grease.’

I’ve been greasing YJ shackle bushings since 2014. That way stuff can be removed/serviced. Both ‘rubber’ and urethane. I did tear some up when I bent a shackle mount.

I suppose in 20 years grease might soften them. I’m thinking don’t worry about it. They’re cheap enough to change out.
paulhead likes this.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #14 of 15 Old 02-14-2020, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
jhrebs
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Bersk is the guy that made your shackles.

Yup. Thanks. I actually feel terrible for forgetting.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-14-2020, 03:39 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrebs View Post
Yup. Thanks. I actually feel terrible for forgetting.

You`re grounded.
Awesome likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in