Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

GM TBI help needed

812 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  elchunkogrande 
#1 ·
I'm still trying to get my 90 model YJ to idle. It idles OK at about 1100 RPM and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm running a stock GM ecm for a 305. I need a prom burned to accommodate my 258. Howell doesn't return my emails and I'm sure nothing they sold is on my jeep any more. Well, maybe the adaptor plate but I used mostly just what I could rob from a parts truck I have.
1project2many was going to help but I haven't heard from him lately.

#2 ·
See if this place can help. They make their own Howell type systems for YJ's

Performance Fuel Injection Systems
9415 W Ridge Rd, Elsie, MI 48831
(517) 975-4770

#5 ·
Not familiar with this setup on a Jeep, but can you scan and read the counts on the idle air control? If near 0 with the high idle maybe a vacuum leak or the minimum idle setting is out of adjustment. Throttle position sensor might also affect this?

#6 ·
1project2many was going to help but I haven't heard from him lately.
Ron, this reads as if you are suggesting I have disappeared without a trace so I feel the need to explain. First, I apologize for taking so long. You did tell me you could use the vehicle as is and you didn't want to push which appeared to make this low priority. I put in 10-12 hr days at work at a non-profit charitable organization, raise two children that are 40 and 42 years younger than I, help the folks that work for and with me because I know our company does not pay competitive wages, and try to maintain a house and home while not working myself to death. I am happy to help but time can get away from me and side projects such as this often get bumped for higher priority tasks.

I also apologize for not responding to your PM immediately yesterday. At ten my son is old enough to join the school robotics team this year. Their team was greatly under funded and under staffed so I volunteered to help at their tournament yesterday by spending the entire day at the competition. His team made the top eight which put them in the finals, a strong showing for a first year team, and I am proud to say my son and another ten year old were chosen by the team to run the machine in their final round. Most of the team members are sixth grade and up and the chief programmer is in ninth grade so it was a great moment for me as a dad. But that nice-guy move yesterday meant today was spent doing laundry, cleaning the house, bringing in firewood, getting baths done, then taking the kids downtown to buy winter clothes. It's been below freezing for over two weeks and I really should have bought the clothes sooner but at least they had last year's clothes. I have just had time to log into the forum and I read and replied to your PM before viewing any forum posts.

If you'd like to contact someone else that's fine. In your first PM requesting I sell a chip I suggested you contact Howell or another professional tuner. A pay for tuner should be able to provide reasonably fast responses. But if you'd like to wait I am happy to help supply a chip. As I said in the PM earlier I will try to get one made this week. I have to dig out my 2732 chips, dig out my old Xtronics programmer and eprom eraser along with my DOS 7 / Windows 98 laptop as the old programmer software only works on DOS. If I can get the old machine to boot up then I will need to figure out how to move files from a new machine to the old laptop in order to burn the chip Nothing I have here uses floppy disks any more. After all of this I will supply the chip at no charge. Unfortunately I cannot promise much "after the sale" assistance. At one time I had a small chip tuning business but unfortunately the days when I had time to dedicate to troubleshooting issues remotely are long gone.

Tomorrow night I take my son to scouts after work then I will be helping him and my daughter with homework. At some point during or after the homework I will begin digging out the tools to make your chip. If I am lucky I will not fall asleep at the table during this process. If I do then likely I will be back up, like I am now, around midnight trying to get just a bit more work done.

Shannen

#9 ·
I'm really lucky. I fill the bank account. That's really easy in a city flush with cash and a local population that doesn't want to work. I'm no one special, I just get up and go work.

It's my wife. She takes care of most things. She runs the house like a well oiled business. She can multi-task. A skill I do not have.

#14 ·
Sorry man. Didn't mean to push you, just thought you'd forgot. I can really empathize as I single parented for several years when my older boys were 13 and 9. Now we are raising 3 grandchildren we adopted to keep them out of the state's clutches. Lots of time and money invested in that. 10 year old boy, 14 year old girl and boy 18 who has gone out on his own, sorta. I'm 80 now so it really drags me down. Yeah, jeeps running fine and has proven to be a real mudder in 4L. Was able to get through some slimy stuff a couple of weeks ago while trying to hunt a little. I really appreciate what you're doing.

#16 ·
Well this has become interesting... Thank you to everyone throwing out support.

I agree that gearhead-efi is a good site if you want help or if you want to learn tuning. There are a couple of members there that have GM EFI swaps in Jeeps. Unfortunately I don't have much time to contribute to that site either. Mostly I weed out spammers and keep the lights on these days. But there's a ton of info and plenty of folks that know OBDI and you might even be able to find someone willing to burn a chip.

Now we are raising 3 grandchildren we adopted to keep them out of the state's clutches.
I agree. You're being a hero. State care may cover basic needs but it does little to help children grow up to become good adults.

I've dug out the 2732's and set up the laptop. That's all I could get done last night. Hopefully tonight I can boot the machine. If it boots and if I have a copy of the file on the old laptop I will burn the chip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.