3Likes
  • 2 Post By bruinjeeper
  • 1 Post By bgredjeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-13-2020, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

glovebox compartment ideas

hey guys, i'm in the middle of a complete tear-down, clean-up, and rebuild of my dash. i got everything pulled out and cleaned up or painted (both, mostly), and it's all looking good, except i just really don't want to put the stock glovebox back in there. I've never really cared for it or used it (i have a tuffy center console). i'm just looking for some ideas on what you guys have done instead of putting the stock back in. obviously the tuffy glovebox is a good route, but i'd rather not spend the money on that. i was thinking about just cutting a piece of sheetmetal to put in behind the dash to cover the hole, but that seems a little boring.

any good ideas out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-13-2020, 12:23 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I believe @bgredjeep had a good DIY one I really digged.

I deleted mine altogether so I have no experienced input... I've seen ammo canisters used.

What was wrong with the stock one though? For something that was that far away from the driver, I found it adequate for my insurance and ownership and a pen and notepad. I went the "boring" route (see below). But have a HUGE Smittybilt center console that fits EVERYTHING. And I mean everything. (Toe and hand warmers, winch controller, OBA connects, flashlights, butane bottles x2 and associated torch oven for cooking, deck of cards, voltometer etc etc). It also works nicely with my seats.
Attached Thumbnails
20200519_210047_1602615100703.jpg  
bgredjeep and jsawduste like this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-13-2020, 12:59 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have you maybe looked into an under seat securing tuffy? Much easier to reach from the seat of your pants than the OEM location imo

post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2020, 05:10 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here's what I did for mine.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...e-box-3961217/

bruinjeeper likes this.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2020, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

so to be clear - nothing is wrong with my stock one, i just don't like it or use it, and i don't want to put it back in. i already have a tuffy center console, so i also don't need it. i might end up getting a tuffy glove box just because i like the look, but i'm not sure i want to spend the money on that.

bgred, yours looks pretty cool!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2020, 08:56 AM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

You could always drop in a huge Lowrance. #racecar

Lol

My ammo can has really worked out great. I keep my insurance and registration in there, along with a tire pressure guage (2 actually), a lipo jump box, and some fuses. I've also stuffed a light jacket in there a couple times after warning up to the point I didn't need it on.

It's way more useful than the tiny factory box, and sealed from the elements on top of that.

post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I put in a smittybilt glovebox. I did the cost calculation and buy that much steel and the hassle of doing the work wsn't worth the price when the smitty was on sale. The only problem with the smitty design is there is plenty of room left to make it another 1.5" deeper and if you made it into two levels you could make the top level go back another 4" as there is plenty of room behind the dash. I also miss having the OEM easy access ledge.

However having a lock is nice so nobody goes through my glovebox. If i feel like it I'll modify the smitty at some point
post #8 of 12 Old 10-15-2020, 06:46 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpage View Post
However having a lock is nice so nobody goes through my glovebox.
Huh. Never knew the stock glove boxes never came with a locking mechanism.

Mine did. And keyed to the ignition key and hard doors

As flimsy as the plastic was though, not like it would take more than 10 seconds with a pry bar to bust it open.

post #9 of 12 Old 10-16-2020, 08:22 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good place for a 120V true-sine inverter, the transmitter ‘box’ for a cobra remote CB, and your Blue Sea Systems auxiliary fuse box.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 12 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Mameluke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpage View Post
I put in a smittybilt glovebox. I did the cost calculation and buy that much steel and the hassle of doing the work wsn't worth the price when the smitty was on sale. The only problem with the smitty design is there is plenty of room left to make it another 1.5" deeper and if you made it into two levels you could make the top level go back another 4" as there is plenty of room behind the dash. I also miss having the OEM easy access ledge.

However having a lock is nice so nobody goes through my glovebox. If i feel like it I'll modify the smitty at some point
any issues with the paint coming off? seems to be a common gripe in online reviews.
post #11 of 12 Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's just paint.

Rattle can it up.

Smitty's paint and "powder coat" are well known issues with their products (among others).

post #12 of 12 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
xpage
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mameluke View Post
any issues with the paint coming off? seems to be a common gripe in online reviews.

so far no issues but its still young. only 5 months installed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in