GEARING RATIO/Speedo gear... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Bheleu33

GEARING RATIO/Speedo gear...

I Need some help. I have an 88YJ 6cyl 4.2 ltr. with a peugeut (sp?) transmission.
My problem... I got a speeding ticket that I have to appear in court for on Thursday april 13th

My speedo is off about 3 to 4 mph at 35mph, and above 50 seems to be about 5-6+ mph off.
This will be my argument for court. BUT. I need to get the gear that adjusts the speedo for larger tires.

1. What's the gearing ratio of that jeeps peugeut tranny (tried to find it on the axle etc, but if it was there, it's been long since painted over)

2. I have 31'' 10.5 R15LT BF mud terrains, and from what I'm told, a very standard size alloy rim for the 31's. What part (gear) would I need to fix the speedo?

I figure, if i have a reciept saying I bought that part, with the letters from 2 friends saying they helped me check speeds, I should be able to beat this...
THX!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
crazymon01

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeeptech.com/javaAps/Speedo.html try this website

I6
ARB snorkle
307 -> 411 gear swap
lock rite locker on the dana 35
33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson radial MTZ
4.5" Rubicon Express heavy duty Suspension Lift
currie boomerang shackles
8,000 lbs. Winch
bikini top
tonneau cover
pictures??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Going to court saying that your speedo is off by x%, is only admitting that you are driving faulty equipment. Well, I'm willing to bet that is how they will see it anhow. I think you will still be paying the ticket.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-12-2006, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Bheleu33

Gee, thanks for the confidence.

It's my first jeep, and I've never delt with that before, so I'm going to play up the innocent role, plus i've never gotten a ticket in that thing, and it's so friggin slow as it is.
I still need the gearing ratio.. but maybe I'll just buy the part, so i have a reciept for SOMETHING, so it looks like I'm attempting to correct the problem
post #5 of 17 Old 04-13-2006, 05:25 AM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you have a cable from the T-case to the speedo, you'll be better off with an electronic adjustment instead of changing gears.

HERE's a unit that can do that.

If you are running the speedo from a cable, get a unit similar to THIS and add a "recalibrator" unit (link above) and a speedo that takes electronic input.

After you've done one of the above, have someone with a calibrated speedo help you set yours up.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 AM
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You definitely will be paying some bucks. You should have fixed the problem before today so you could show the judge receipts for the parts, then maybe you would have a chance. If you are really lucky, whining to the officer before facing the judge might get you a 'broken speedo' ticket instead.

On the fix, I don't agree with Alfons. I would (did) just get the right gear. Over the years, I bought maybe 3 different gears, all less than $10 and 5 mins work to put in. That is more cost effective and less invasive than adding a foreign box to the mix.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #7 of 17 Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Tulsachokehold
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bheleu33
Gee, thanks for the confidence.

It's my first jeep, and I've never delt with that before, so I'm going to play up the innocent role, plus i've never gotten a ticket in that thing, and it's so friggin slow as it is.
I still need the gearing ratio.. but maybe I'll just buy the part, so i have a reciept for SOMETHING, so it looks like I'm attempting to correct the problem

I'm sorry, man. But you have to look at it like the court is going to look at it. Its like rear ending someone and telling the cops "well, My brakes are bad and I just couldnt stop in time, its not my fault!". We, yeah it is your fault. You knew you were driving faulty equipment. You still broke the law and now you are being called on it.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-13-2006, 08:30 AM
bretm

I don't quite follow the gearing question, but the axle is most likely a 3.55.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
On the fix, I don't agree with Alfons. I would (did) just get the right gear. Over the years, I bought maybe 3 different gears, all less than $10 and 5 mins work to put in. That is more cost effective and less invasive than adding a foreign box to the mix.
JeeperDon, a gear change certainly will work. I've found that gear selections are somewhat limited and you can't always find one that will fit the exact mix of tire diameter and axle gearing. Accurate electronically adjusted output should be easier to achieve, but like anything else, you need to understand the "workings" of these units in order to get one that has the setup versatility you need, instructions written in understandable english as well as the quality that will make it a worry free installation. These units are (in my opinion ) very useful in jeeps that are constantly going through tire sizes.

I think an evaluation & comparison on some of the more popular units would be beneficial for a lot of individuals - a definition of terms involved and an overview of how the units work in general & then type specific would give most potential users the information they need to make an informed choice. If no one else wants to jump into this arena, I might give it a shot when I'm finished with my current rebuild projects.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 06:52 AM
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It does sound as if you will have to pay, sorry! But in the meantime, just remember that your speedometer is reading 10% low (at least it's an easy number to work with), so do the math everytime you drive, or re-gear that speedometer!
post #11 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It does sound as if you will have to pay
Yes, the cost is quite a bit more than JeeperDon's gear replacement (you can get an appreciation of the costs from the links I provided), and if you can find the gear, that would be the most cost effective solution. I decided on the electronic solution for YJ with a flipped D300 (short) that has a rear output shaft cover that was made to drive a speedo cable, so a mechanical to electrical conversion with an interface that was adjustable seemed worth while.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 01:29 PM
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon
Y...whining to the officer before facing the judge might get you a 'broken speedo' ticket instead.

What is exactly is a "broken speedo" ticket??

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers,
, custom cv driveshafts,
, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s,
, Teraflex Bellyup,
, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage,
, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable
(12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with
dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Bheleu33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsachokehold
I'm sorry, man. But you have to look at it like the court is going to look at it. Its like rear ending someone and telling the cops "well, My brakes are bad and I just couldnt stop in time, its not my fault!". We, yeah it is your fault. You knew you were driving faulty equipment. You still broke the law and now you are being called on it.
snappy snappy! I didn't realize my speedo was off until this ticked happened so I checked my speed with one of those huge police speed signs, and then my buddy followed me on the highway while we talked on the cell.
rear ending someone is a tiiiiiiny bit different

This cop is a total prick, and he's actually a constable, not even a 'real' cop. The purpose of this guys job is to generate revenue for the town. He might as well be a full time meter maid
I ended up not even going to court, because a Job went bad and I was forced to work a 17hour day yesterday, so I'm have to pay the 25.oo to reopen the case.
I'll buy the gear, have the receipt, mind my speed (as I pretty much always do anyhow, this exception was me speeding up so that I wouldn't be passed going up the upcoming hill by every grandma out there). and bring some letters reporting speed differences.. I'm sure I'll get out of increasing my insurance.
post #14 of 17 Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 PM
JeeperDon
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
What is exactly is a "broken speedo" ticket??
I got busted a few yrs ago by a lady NY State Trooper. At the court date, before going in front of the judge, her and I discussed it, and she agreed to let me plead guilty to a 'broken spedometer cable' (equipment malfunction), which is no points in NY and not a moving voilation.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #15 of 17 Old 04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
Redskinswin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a Cherokee a while ago and got a ticket for speeding. The gear was off by 7 mph at 50 mph. I got it fixed before court by a certified mechanic for $100 bucks. (seems high I know) The judge tossed the ticket and my insurance did not go up!

2012 Wrangler. Stock, for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in