Gear oils - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-03-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Gear oils

So I'm switching to synthetic gear oil now that my 4.11 gears are well broken in using super tech dino oil. I am going to do a 75w90 in the front and 75w140 in the 8.8. I have been considering valvoline syn tech, mobil 1 and royal purple. Since I get 20% off at autozone, I am sticking with those brands.
I can however get the royal purple for $15.99/qt at local parts house plus 10% off as apposed to AZ @ $21.99

Anyone have a preference or gripe between these?

Adopt-a-Trail Volunteer SBNF 3N17
YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I use whatever is cheapest. We arent putting a thousand horsepower through our diffs and we usually change our diff oil alot more often than most because WATER. So pic your poison and toss it in. I have been using Lucas 80w140 in both mine. D30 lunchbox locker and 8.8 with AUburn Ected Locker. I do add limited slip additive to the 8.8
80cj and NHfireLJ like this.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overhead View Post
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-04-2019, 07:10 PM
zrickety

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I use Mobil 1 gear oil...in all my vehicles. FWD, RWD, 4WD. I'm a Mobil 1 user for life, it saved my engine when I overheated a Trans Am. The gear oil is balanced and doesn't corrode yellow metals. And LSD safe.

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo

post #4 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
I use whatever is cheapest. We arent putting a thousand horsepower through our diffs and we usually change our diff oil alot more often than most because WATER. So pic your poison and toss it in. I have been using Lucas 80w140 in both mine. D30 lunchbox locker and 8.8 with AUburn Ected Locker. I do add limited slip additive to the 8.8
I fully agree with Siva 283. I'll go further to say that any good quality GL-5 hypoid gear lube should suffice for our Jeeps. I've used Valvoline GL-5 80W90 High Performance gear lube in my CJ-5 for many years with no problems.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 05:47 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
How many rivers do you plan on playing in?

If you are going to be axle deep a lot I would put the cheapest you can get because it is soo much cheaper to flush it regularly than deal with rusted gears and bearings.

I use Amsoil but that's because I have a dealership and it is cheaper wholesale than any other brand. Frankly I don't recommend it for people that play in the water a lot though because what it is too expensive to drain 4 or 5 times a year at retail cost.
That said I also have it in my truck and have had it for the last 75K miles (since I played tug boat in the streets during a hurricane.) and synth is the only way to go if you want to keep your stuff running and efficient. I'd say go with a good synth bearing grease too. They are much less likely to wash out or separate and leak out.
uptillnow likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I fully agree with Siva 283. I'll go further to say that any good quality GL-5 hypoid gear lube should suffice for our Jeeps. I've used Valvoline GL-5 80W90 High Performance gear lube in my CJ-5 for many years with no problems.
I should add the only reason I use Lucas is because by the gallon its cheaper on Amazon. My front now has the walmart special in it because I developed a pinion seal leak and needed gear oil immediatly and couldnt wait for shipping. I have a gallon of it and I will use it until its gone. Any gear oil should be up to the task with todays standards. I also have mixed brands just to use up what I had around. I have never had any troubles with it. My lockers seem fine as well. I DD my jeep 60 miles each way to work plus other running. Just dont use GL-5 in your transmission that will eat the syncro's your diff has no yellow metals and diffs are pretty hearty things the bearings just want some kind of lube. I dont suggest it but I have seen people put 10w30 in thier diffs and they even seemed happy with that.

1995 YJ. 2 inch BDS Spring lift. 1 inch shackle lift. 1.25 inch JKS Body Lift 33x12.5x15's. Engo 10,000 pound winch.

Quote:
I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim
Quote:
Quote:
diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I just run Supertech 80-90. Haven't felt the need to get fancy. I keep a gallon jug on the shelf all the time. They make a synthetic 75w-90 and 75W-140 if you want synthetic in there. I dont think the make the syn stuff in gallon jugs though.

At this point the only thing that doesnt have supertech in it on my Jeep is the trans and tcase

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
timatoe likes this.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #8 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by downs View Post
I just run Supertech 80-90. Haven't felt the need to get fancy. I keep a gallon jug on the shelf all the time. They make a synthetic 75w-90 and 75W-140 if you want synthetic in there. I dont think the make the syn stuff in gallon jugs though.

At this point the only thing that doesnt have supertech in it on my Jeep is the trans and tcase

Supertech does make Synthetics in the gallon jugs too. Some walmarts have it some dont. I got a gallon of 75w90 synth last night.
downs likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #9 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and that Supertech gear oil is $13.97 a gallon at Wally World
downs likes this.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ask me how I know...
Quote:
post #10 of 28 Old 09-05-2019, 05:49 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Been using Royal Purple for years. Have never had a failure... ever.
Water is not an issue (I'll go around a 2" mud puddle) but heat sure is. I use my Jeep at the dunes and stuff gets hot.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #11 of 28 Old 09-07-2019, 06:20 AM
mudbug85603

It has been proven time and time again by people a lot smarter than me, that synthetic gear oil in diffs is a bad idea. Synthetic gear oil does not transfer heat near as well as Dino oil so your gears and bearings will run hotter than they should. Yes, your diff cover will feel cooler with synthetic oil but the internals will be hotter. If you don't believe this, research it yourselves.
timatoe likes this.
post #12 of 28 Old 09-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Chrisnvegas
Windows95

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
It has been proven time and time again by people a lot smarter than me, that synthetic gear oil in diffs is a bad idea. Synthetic gear oil does not transfer heat near as well as Dino oil so your gears and bearings will run hotter than they should. Yes, your diff cover will feel cooler with synthetic oil but the internals will be hotter. If you don't believe this, research it yourselves.
I have heard that before.

End the Ethanol Rip-Off
post #13 of 28 Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ive never heard that and cant find anything to back it up. My googlefu must be weak today.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #14 of 28 Old 09-09-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
There is no published tests of any kind to back up this claim that I have seen. Synthetic oils have better heat transfer characteristics than conventional.

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS
post #15 of 28 Old 09-09-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
V8orBUST

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for all the feedback, I decided to use the valvoline synpower in my green jeep since it meets J2360 spec and it's easier to find. I avoid mud and water, so I do not plan to do a drain and fill very often and $10/qt it is not terribly pricey.

I also got some royal purple to put in my other 2 yjs that do not see anything crazy if at all. Figure the royal purple will be an 80K gear oil on those rigs.

I will be tracking mpg numbers as always so I'll post up results after a couple fillups.

Side note, I ordered 3 gallons of redline mt90 for all the transmissions. Cant wait to have a true GL4.
uptillnow likes this.

YJOTM November '18
IYAAYAS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in