Gauge Recomendations - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gauge Recomendations

So at Great Lakes Jeep Jam I did some bartering and am scoring a custom dash extremely cheap. I need to decide what brand gauges I want and what gauges I want. Once I decide that it will be custom made and a direct bolt in with all the correct holes to mount everything up. Ill probably have a hook or two welded to the back for the wire harness. What has everyone been going with for gauges. I know there will be wiring involved so the simpler the better.

http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/ is who is doing it. She does amazing work.

Second question. How has everyone with Hydro assist routing the lines. I am having the worse trouble keeping them from rubbing the balancer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 06:28 AM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Gauges are a budget item, some people go cheap, others get high end. I went with Autometer, their Phantom line because to me it was easiest to read. For wiring, go to a junk yard and get a few nice male/female 8-12 pin connector combos from any vehicle. I use one plug for headlights and speakers, another for instrumentation, and a third for the off-road section (ARBs, winch, OBA).
Siva283 likes this.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" Patagonia M/Ts, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 08:10 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I like Autometer and VDO stuff. Just throwing out a thought: Last "hot rod" build I did involved a Ford 460/C6 combo and I went old school with just three mechanical gauges. Oil pressure, mechanical temp which requires a sensor port somewhere in the water jacket, and ammeter. I considered those the important three in addition to the stock gas gauge in the dash. Those three fit perfectly in the big square space where the 8 track player used to be.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.

post #4 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
So at Great Lakes Jeep Jam I did some bartering and am scoring a custom dash extremely cheap. I need to decide what brand gauges I want and what gauges I want. Once I decide that it will be custom made and a direct bolt in with all the correct holes to mount everything up. Ill probably have a hook or two welded to the back for the wire harness. What has everyone been going with for gauges. I know there will be wiring involved so the simpler the better.

http://www.logansmetal4x4.com/ is who is doing it. She does amazing work.

Second question. How has everyone with Hydro assist routing the lines. I am having the worse trouble keeping them from rubbing the balancer.
I pull my hoses out of the way of the pulley with a bungee and they can still move around with the axle.

autometer for me. so nice knowing the real temp and how much gas I have.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #5 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 09:29 AM
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Gauges are 100% style and budget. There isn't really a wrong choice but this is certainly your opportunity to be different/unique. Ignoring price for now... Most aftermarket gauges with the exception of the fuel gauge are pretty generic. Fuel gauges require a specific ohm rating and I think the stock YJ fuel tank sender is 0-90ohms. Beyond that, find some gauges you like that are in your price range. Then evaluate if they are something you can live with. For example, if the coolant temp gauge goes from 80 degrees to 260 degrees but only has a 45 degree sweep, you'll never be able to look at the gauge and tell that you're overheating because the gauge just isn't fine enough, especially if you have to look at an angle. Likewise, if you get a digital gauge, you may quit looking at it completely because it shoots up and down 30-40 degrees every time the thermostat opens/closes.

post #6 of 17 Old 07-21-2021, 09:06 PM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I went with the Autometer Phantoms as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Gauges are a budget item, some people go cheap, others get high end. I went with Autometer, their Phantom line because to me it was easiest to read. For wiring, go to a junk yard and get a few nice male/female 8-12 pin connector combos from any vehicle. I use one plug for headlights and speakers, another for instrumentation, and a third for the off-road section (ARBs, winch, OBA).
I did not even think about things like the headlights and dimmer switch and idiot lights. Good points I am still a newbie to wiring so I better look up diagrams for all those
post #8 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I pull my hoses out of the way of the pulley with a bungee and they can still move around with the axle.

autometer for me. so nice knowing the real temp and how much gas I have.

How long to the bungies last? I DD mine.
I have the box brace that goes to the passenger frame rail I was thinking about sheathing them putting that brace back on and some zip ties. That should allow it to move if I do it right. I was thinking about using thin ones that break easy just in case
post #9 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Gauges are 100% style and budget. There isn't really a wrong choice but this is certainly your opportunity to be different/unique. Ignoring price for now... Most aftermarket gauges with the exception of the fuel gauge are pretty generic. Fuel gauges require a specific ohm rating and I think the stock YJ fuel tank sender is 0-90ohms. Beyond that, find some gauges you like that are in your price range. Then evaluate if they are something you can live with. For example, if the coolant temp gauge goes from 80 degrees to 260 degrees but only has a 45 degree sweep, you'll never be able to look at the gauge and tell that you're overheating because the gauge just isn't fine enough, especially if you have to look at an angle. Likewise, if you get a digital gauge, you may quit looking at it completely because it shoots up and down 30-40 degrees every time the thermostat opens/closes.
Good stuff I didnt think about the ranges or the sweep. I am a complete newbie at gauges. Thanks for that tidbit. That definitely makes a bog difference and is good to know.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 09:07 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Totally missed the hydro assist question.... I just have them going from the box to the ram and put a zip tie to the two lines. They seem to stay in place all on their own. I use some generic springs to pull the long brake hoses out of the way, you could do something like that.

CJWoodman likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-23-2021, 10:40 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
IMO the cheapest anyone should go on gauges is Auto Meter's "Autogauge" line. They're affordable.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #12 of 17 Old 07-24-2021, 02:41 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, ill go ahead and give them a shout out here because they deserve it.

Speedhut.

I've had zero issues, it was the first set of aftermarket gauges i ever ordered. They're packaging is perfect, their interactive website is perfect, fully customizable if you;re into that sorta thing, great customer support and great wiring harnesses included. Keeps everything neat

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

post #13 of 17 Old 07-26-2021, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Totally missed the hydro assist question.... I just have them going from the box to the ram and put a zip tie to the two lines. They seem to stay in place all on their own. I use some generic springs to pull the long brake hoses out of the way, you could do something like that.

I like this simple idea for the Hydro Lines I am gonna give that a shot and see if it works on mine. Simple and cheap is the best
post #14 of 17 Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Siva283

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

Speedhut.

I've had zero issues, it was the first set of aftermarket gauges i ever ordered. They're packaging is perfect, their interactive website is perfect, fully customizable if you;re into that sorta thing, great customer support and great wiring harnesses included. Keeps everything neat
Awesome to hear. I will have to take a peek and check them out.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-26-2021, 02:51 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post

Speedhut.

Awesome to hear. I will have to take a peek and check them out.
Also includes sending units.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in