Gas tank venting - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By el guapo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
el guapo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank venting

So I am putting the Jeep back together. New fuel pump, gaskets, fuel lines, and rollover valves installed. When I open the gas cap I get that whoosh of air. I thought those valves were supposed to vent to the charcoal canister to relieve pressure - am I wrong? When I disconnect the line at the canister I can't blow or pull any air through it - should I be able to?

i know, i know... pull over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 09:38 AM
carlsflh
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
this is on your 91 i take? if i remember right the vent hoes goes straight to the carbon canster with no valves or solinoids inline . you should be able to get flow at least one way .i would check that the vent line isn't kinked or pinched closed .if it's been sitting for a while make sure nothing has clogged the hose like a insect or spider i've seen this more than once on small hoses.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 09:47 AM
timatoe

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd bet when the tank was lifted back in place the vent line was pinched between the crossmember and the tank. There's not a lot of room there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
el guapo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes on my 91 there are 2 rollover valves on top of the tank that are Teed together and a rubber line runs to the hard line along with the brake lines and then to the charcoal canister. My first guess was a kinked line but figured I would ask before dropping the tank to find out...

post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 AM
mark1305
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know if it applies to 91 and later, but I read somewhere when I was trouble shooting my bad charcoal cannister and the whoosh when removing the gas cap that the vent line on my 4.2L carbed model has a relief valve that holds 2 psi in the tank. I put a vacuum tester on the line and got a few pounds of resistance then fumes flowing out.

89 YJ Parts Bin Special titled as 84 CJ7; parts ranging from 1984 -2000; 4.2L with AX-15. Also a 2000 XJ Sport 2WD with a troublesome AW4.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2020, 12:32 PM
Louie4

1935 CJ2A 

My vent line was pinched before I did my 1 Body lift. I put all new hoses and tee in many years ago. No issues since.

Well actually, my charcoal can failed and I had charcoal in my air box. Really weird. AZDevilYJ gave me his old canister and all is well again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-24-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
el guapo

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dropped the tank today. Fun times. Must've been a pinched line. All good now. Thanks fellas!
timatoe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in