Fuse Block Fuse and Alt. Pwr. 2 Fuse in PDC Blows Immediately - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2020, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
_JeepZB

Fuse Block Fuse and Alt. Pwr. 2 Fuse in PDC Blows Immediately

So I've been struggling this past week with getting my YJ to start. It's a 1994 4.0L with 5-speed manual. I tried to move it out of my garage so I could clean up a bit and it would not start, turns out the battery was dead so I got a new one, hooked it up then it turns out the starter was bad so I got a new one. Well once I hooked every thing back up, the bendix gear would spin in place but not shoot out, I had the starter tested and it works fine. I then start following the signal wire to see if something is wrong and I follow it all the way up to the PDC and its fine. I checked all of my grounds, cleaned them and the contact points so they're good. I check all of my fuses and the Alt. Pwr. 2 fuse was blown and the fuse block fuse. So I follow the wire going to the alternator to look for a short or something grounding itself out. My buddy used his voltmeter and found continuity where "Alt. Pwr. 2" fuse goes. All of the wires and connections are good so I took the alternator off and had it tested and thought maybe it was possible there was a short inside of it. Turns out the alternator was bad, so I then proceed to hook everything back up, get new fuses and relays and install them. As soon as I hook the battery up it immediately blows the Fuse Block fuse and Alt. Pwr. 2 fuse again. I'm at a stand still and close to burning the thing down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I want to be sure we are looking at the same fuse (circuit) I attached a diagram of PDC is this the circuit/fuse?

I ahte going down the wrong rabbit hole.
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2020, 04:10 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What happens if yu do NOT hook up that wire to back of Alt-
does it still blow ?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I agree with Jtec. If you are identifying the correct fuse per the info he supplied and if it blows that fuse immediately, disconnect the alternator. It is the only thing on that circuit according the schematics I have. If we are on the same page, It should be the easiest short to ground you will ever trace. It is a larger wire and the only thing on the circuit.

If the fuse does not blow with the alternator disconnected. Your alternator is bad. If it still blows, trace the wiring for its path or short to ground.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

You could unhook the battery ground and power and check for continuity on the alternator wire to the battery and the battery ground. If you have continuity, you have a short. If you follow the above post you will probably find it quickly.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in