Full hydro questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 10-14-2020, 03:21 PM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthman View Post
im glad you brought up rub on the links. what size tires are you running?
40s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 10-14-2020, 05:29 PM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87TPIYJ View Post
@Waternut ; how much caster are you running? That could be your issue.
Originally it was 11 degrees when I installed full hydro, backed it off to 8 once I realized how much angle there was, and just put it at 7 when I did the 4 link. I never noticed any difference other than poor clearance of the ram at 11 degrees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 24 Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Quote:
im glad you brought up rub on the links. what size tires are you running?
40s
What back spacing

"money talks, mine always says goodbye"

post #19 of 24 Old 10-14-2020, 08:03 PM
bgredjeep

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What back spacing
4.5. It still rubbed the link when I was running 1.5" spacers with the same wheels. Lowers need to be triangulated, or narrowed a good bit to make it work if you are going for high steering angle. No way around it.

post #20 of 24 Old 10-15-2020, 06:50 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
4.5. It still rubbed the link when I was running 1.5" spacers with the same wheels. Lowers need to be triangulated, or narrowed a good bit to make it work if you are going for high steering angle. No way around it.
I'm running 38x14.5" tires and I rub with 1" backspacing and a 1.25" spacer. It's tough to get that space.

@danthman Get your link geometry right and that usually means pushing the lower links as far outboard as you can get them. Worry about tires rubbing later. Here is how my ram is mounted. I get 30 degrees of steering angle (60 if you count both directions) and it's actually a good amount of steering authority. Sorry about the 45 degree angle example I gave earlier...that may be unrealistic. If I used the same ram mounted on the rear hole, I'd get 37 degrees but mounting on the fwd most hole would give me 25 degrees. Just need to figure out what you're working with and position/size your ram accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201015_122147659.jpg  
danthman likes this.

post #21 of 24 Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
I'm running 38x14.5" tires and I rub with 1" backspacing and a 1.25" spacer. It's tough to get that space.

@danthman Get your link geometry right and that usually means pushing the lower links as far outboard as you can get them. Worry about tires rubbing later. Here is how my ram is mounted. I get 30 degrees of steering angle (60 if you count both directions) and it's actually a good amount of steering authority. Sorry about the 45 degree angle example I gave earlier...that may be unrealistic. If I used the same ram mounted on the rear hole, I'd get 37 degrees but mounting on the fwd most hole would give me 25 degrees. Just need to figure out what you're working with and position/size your ram accordingly.
thanks. im still a long ways from the calculator. I don't have the option on where to mount the ram. if I remember correctly there is only one position for those barnes weld ons. they line up with the oem arm where the tie rod went. I guess i'll deal with that obstacle when I get to it and before I weld everything permanently.

on a side note, motobilt has some good looking parts.

post #22 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
danthman

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post

question. im getting conflicting info online and since you have done this already, what is the correct spline count for the input shaft? or did you do the weld on universal one? I called psc and the said 30 but ive also read 32 spline.

post #23 of 24 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
question. im getting conflicting info online and since you have done this already, what is the correct spline count for the input shaft? or did you do the weld on universal one? I called psc and the said 30 but ive also read 32 spline.
Mine is 30 spline but verify both the steering shaft and orbital before buying.

post #24 of 24 Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
92 Green YJ

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mine is also 30 spline. I used this end to mate the new steering shaft I built to the orbital valve.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/607001/10002/-1

92 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited +
Tons, 40s, tons of mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in