Fuel tank switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel tank switch

I switched my gas tank from a 20 gallon to a 15 and the new 15 gallon tank doesn't have valve for the vapor line like the 20 gallon tank did. Do I need a valve like this for emmisions reasons or can I do without it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Not all years are the same. Need some vehicle profile info.

Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM
notmyj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Please fill out your profile. Its not just for bragging rights. If you need tech info, thats the first place people look to see what your working with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

post #4 of 13 Old 01-01-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Alright I updated my profile with the basic info but I'll just tell you on here too, it's an '87 yj with a 6 cyl 258ci 4.2 liter. The original 20 gallon tank that was in there when I bought it has a valve for the vapor line but the replacement 15 gallon tanks doesn't.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the vent line or the purge line. The right side of the tank has to "outlets" one is the fill the other is the vent. The purge is on the oposite side of the tank. The purge is for emissions only and not necessary.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If the purge line is the one that connects to the charcoal canister than I'm talking about the purge line.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You can run without it. It might smell a little but it will run. The purge grabs the vapors. It sounds like you got a CJ tank. Why not go with the poly tank. They are easy to find and cheap. The 91-95 polytanks are a bolt in to out earlier jeep. You had a 20, was it a poly?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No idea if it was a poly or not but the tank i got was like $65. The sending unit on the old one was broken so it was either a new sending unit or a new tank. I needed new gauges anyway so I went with new tank because the gauges I got came with the senders. Should I just cap off the purge line if I don't need it then? Or can I make a hole and put in a valve if I don't want it to be all smelly.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You can just cap it and see how it works. Too bad you got the steel. The poly tank can be found everywhere off of the 91/95 and you wouldn't have to lose capacity like the steel tank.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My old tank was steel too plus the fuel senders for the old tank costs more than the new tank anyway.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
My old tank was steel too plus the fuel senders for the old tank costs more than the new tank anyway.
http://www.mtscompany.com/jeep.htm

$24.99, if I remember correctly.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The one on mine had a big oval plate on it.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
jwing
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that website Max i could for the life of me find a filler hose or vent hose to fit a 15 gallon tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in