• 1 Post By fishadventure
  • 1 Post By shaggyjim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-03-2021, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel tank build

I have been looking at fuel cells since I bought my Jeep and just never really found what I wanted. I finally decided to pull the trigger and build a custom tank to replace my slanted/dented stock metal fuel tank. I didn't want to put a fuel cell in the back of my Jeep and the fuel cells readily available just didn't make a lot of sense to me. Dimensionally, the tanks are good enough but they're super thin and kind of force me to either use an external fuel pump which I didn't want to do or plug the existing holes and run an internal pump. Even then, there'd be almost no option for a sump.

So here's my plan and this won't be as fast as my normal projects. I chose to use 1/8" 3003-H14 vs 6061-T6 as it was cheaper and still easy to weld but still way lighter than steel. The tank is 9x9x36 which is about 12 gallons and should tuck up nicely between the frame rails. Got some time and motivation yesterday after the material arrived and started working. The total cost for the aluminum was $110 with shipping.

I've been holding off on the rest of the parts because I didn't want to spend more money if I lacked the ability to weld everything. Aluminum is definitely trickier to weld than steel with the two wire compositions welding totally different. With really thick stuff, I've found 4043 wire to weld a little nicer but for thinner stuff, I seem to like 5356 wire. Machine setup takes me a lot longer too where I can usually just adapt my style a little with a slightly incorrect setting when doing steel. Both wires just seem to weld super violent compared to steel so it takes some getting used to. Either way, I got the main tank built with some welds looking better than others. Filled it up with water and didn't see any leaks so I placed an order for the filler neck, fuel pump, and rollover vent.

Fun fact...look at the haze on the welding helmet after doing those welds. Although I tried not to breath this stuff in or even position myself directly over the welds, I probably need to take better precautions.

Attached Thumbnails
20210502_131519.jpg   20210502_135222.jpg   20210502_145213.jpg   20210502_170554.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-03-2021, 02:56 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

He’s goin for it!
HE’S GOIN FOR IT!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What did you decide on for a sump?

post #4 of 7 Old 05-03-2021, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Waternut
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
What did you decide on for a sump?
I haven't yet. Kind of waiting to see how much clearance I have and how big this fuel pump is.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 07:42 AM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don’t remember if this came up before but have you ever seen the fuel pickup mats that Summit sells. The look cool and supposedly wick fuel from anywhere in the tank.
jsawduste likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 05:37 PM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Pressurize the tank to 3psi (NO MORE) and see if it holds for three hours. I have an adapter I made and a low pressure water gauge for that purpose- that’s why I flunked my boat gas tank. Harmless looking dark spots in the oxidized aluminum made tiny bubbles after 15mins
NHfireLJ likes this.

[size=3]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2021, 09:14 PM
shaggyjim
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in