Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front shackle hanger broken

748 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  jbolty 
#1 · (Edited)
After a pretty fun wheeling trip, I took the YJ home and noticed my front-driver side shackle was a bit crooked. After taking a closer look, realized it was completely broken off. :frown2:

Here are some pics of the carnage:

I've never done like a repair like this before but I'm looking forward to taking it on. I could use help in planning it out. First off for a replacement part, should I just go for a straight replacement from Crown or aftermarket like MORE. Does any one have any experience with any of these or have any recommendations on which to go with?

Having never done this before, I'm guessing I cut off the old bracket and grind down till its about flush with the frame then weld on the new brackets?

Any help is much appreciated!

#2 ·
ruffstuff has 15% off right now code danday

cut, grind weld, done.

I would replace both sides while you are at it.

Not a rare break. I have been looking at mine for years expecting them to break but they never did. The original does not look very strong but most hold up mostly, until they don't

I had cracks in the frame side spring hangers a couple times too. go over eveything

#3 ·
Think you have the right idea. Cut the hanger off, grind up clean, measure, weld in.
The stock front shackle hangers aren't very strong, they were the easiest to cut off.
MORE, Barnes, RuffStuff bla bla bla, all will have a heavy duty upgrade.

Reactions: skyzero
#7 ·
...and the crown fit nice and are only like $25. Another cheapskate.

If you weld a small piece across the hanger between the bushing tube and the frame 'stock' hangers won't flex anymore and therefore become very unlikely to break. "Mass" of heavy duty hangers can cover oem sins but - like in this case - rigidity support works just as well.

#8 ·
Measure before you cut it off, then mark your measurement back 12" or so behind the hanger. Grind it smooth, check for cracks, put the new one up there, measure, clap, tack weld it, measure again then weld it solid. Done! I changed both of mine in under a hour using a high lift jack.

#9 ·
Good idea.

I had a 5' pipe once to slip through and align them side to side. I need to make another one since it seems these come up for someone every year. I've got a bent one now myself, and a crown replacement.

#12 ·
Obviously after the fact, but once upon a time Currie sold chrome moly YJ hangers. This is what I used way back when. But even if no one makes chromos any more I wouldn't sweat it. Most OEM hangers have lasted 20+ years and new replacements installed correctly should last longer. You're good. :smile2:

#13 ·
Obviously after the fact, but once upon a time Currie sold chrome moly YJ hangers. This is what I used way back when. But even if no one makes chromos any more I wouldn't sweat it. Most OEM hangers have lasted 20+ years and new replacements installed correctly should last longer. You're good. /forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Agreed. The small strip of metal welded in is a huge difference in failure prevention.

Chrome moly parts ... the preheat, weld heat, and cooling control needed for "high strength steel" fabrication isn't really something that's going to happen for most people. So those would make no sense to me other than the kool factor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.