1Likes
  • 1 Post By project_mercy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
front and rear seat options for 6'6 driver and 6 ft friends

Looking for options. new, used, modded front seats and rear benches for me 6'6" and my 6ft plus friends riding in the back.

went to four wheel parts and they were honest in saying that any brand new seat will sit higher because of the new cushion and design.

I cant get the big boy bracket because im not trying to crush my friends feet behind me. I just need a chair that sits low like the way my stock seats are sitting now. maybe just slightly lower. Only reason im replacing them is because the leather is tearing up.

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
4 cyl 2.5L TBI // 5 spd man
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Cavalier seats would probably not sit any higher than stock, then you could take out the slider which would lower you about an inch. Standard seat brackets that don't flip forward could be cut down and re-welded. There's also another thread on here where the back seat was re-mounted further back but it's not much good if the top is on.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/shadownwpa-91ish-yj-build-thread-1857154/
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
Cavalier seats would probably not sit any higher than stock, then you could take out the slider which would lower you about an inch. Standard seat brackets that don't flip forward could be cut down and re-welded. There's also another thread on here where the back seat was re-mounted further back but it's not much good if the top is on.
im a soft topper year round in southern california!! lets do it!!

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms

post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A seat that sits lower will give you a shorter distance to the pedals for your legs. You'll be uncomfortable either way. The best thing to do is to move all the seats rearward.

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
A seat that sits lower will give you a shorter distance to the pedals for your legs. You'll be uncomfortable either way. The best thing to do is to move all the seats rearward.
Yea i think I'll just push the rear bench back some. Im comfortable as far as legroom goes currently. Only annoying thing us when trying to push the E brake. That steering wheel always jams me up lol

I would just like a reclining option for the front seats. Which year Chevy Blazer seats should i be looking for ? And do they have recliners ?

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms
post #6 of 7 Old 03-18-2018, 10:52 AM
project_mercy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lowering the seat to equalize the increase in cushion height is fine, but lowering the place your butt sits in relation to the tub ends up being a bad idea, because you will cause the angles of how your legs and arms align to the controls, and it can cause you fold into positions your back won't like. I guess I'm only 6'4" so I haven't had headroom issues, but I haven't thought about what it would be to be 2" more. I also have the seat fully back.

I would say if moving the rear seat back isn't a good option, one thing I thought about doing was installing jump seats (like out of a range rover) in the back. You could offset two of them on either side, this would give the rear occupants full legroom without your seat position effecting it, though likely they will lose some headroom. Also from a safety perspective, you'll have to engineer some reinforcement or tie-ins to the sport bar to keep the seats in place in case of an accident. It will still be inferior to the normal seat position for safety, but if you're only doing it occasionally it's probably not a big deal.
natewill18 likes this.

With your help I will resist the urge to buy a chrome grill guard for yet another day.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-18-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
natewill18
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by project_mercy View Post
Lowering the seat to equalize the increase in cushion height is fine, but lowering the place your butt sits in relation to the tub ends up being a bad idea, because you will cause the angles of how your legs and arms align to the controls, and it can cause you fold into positions your back won't like. I guess I'm only 6'4" so I haven't had headroom issues, but I haven't thought about what it would be to be 2" more. I also have the seat fully back.

I would say if moving the rear seat back isn't a good option, one thing I thought about doing was installing jump seats (like out of a range rover) in the back. You could offset two of them on either side, this would give the rear occupants full legroom without your seat position effecting it, though likely they will lose some headroom. Also from a safety perspective, you'll have to engineer some reinforcement or tie-ins to the sport bar to keep the seats in place in case of an accident. It will still be inferior to the normal seat position for safety, but if you're only doing it occasionally it's probably not a big deal.
love the jump seat idea!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Finished 3.jpg   Finished 2.jpg  
Attached Images

1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ
33x12.5x15 tires
4" RC Lift w 1" RE booms

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in