Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Front end / Steering Problem

741 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  blake989 
#1 ·
Just bought a 95 YJ with VERY sloppy steering. Have replaced upper & lower ball joints, tie rods, steering gear and added a stabilizer. Still wanders. Have ordered upper and lower shackle bushings (but I'm not counting on that to fix it) just ran out of things to replace. I'm approaching the point of removing the lift kit to see if that helps. HELP: any ideas?

#2 ·
What you haven't said you checked yet was the toe-in.

Seeing as how this is your first post and you haven't filled out any Jeep info to help us help you, lets see if you come back before we fall all over ourselves troubleshooting your issue.

#3 ·
More about your lift and shackles would be helpful. I had 5" springs and just about everything new as do you. But springs that high just flat out will not give you stock steering.

#8 ·
Steering shaft can have play in it. Drag link also. You could also have play in the rear. Loose U- bolts..... on and on.

The tech that aligned your vehicle could have just aligned it til it was green on the screen and called it good. A vehicle can be "green" or within specs but still not handle well. It may not have enough toe in to compensate for bigger tires. Not all people who do alignments understand them.

Wide tires can wander badly in pavement that has grooves from the weight of vehicles. They can depending on the tire brand also wander like crazy on road seams.

Your frame may have cracks or weak spots. Rusted through spots. Flex at the steering gear box area. etc.

So many possibilities. You need to slow down. Put it on a hoist or jacks and have a real trained eye look it over with you or do tons of research and pay close attention to instructions given to you.

#9 ·
Glad you came back, and Welcome.
Nice looking Jeep, us 95ers need to look out for each other.

Good info above, particularly Unit bearings and toe-in.

Search "Chalk Test" on this forum for best tire pressure.

Follow this link to check/adjust toe in.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/basic-repair-front-end-alignment-994928/

You can check/adjust the toe-in in your driveway with basic hand tools using that method.

Please keep this thread updated with your progress so others may benefit.

#17 ·
You've replaced just about everything, and you've had an alignment, and it still wanders to the point of concern...something don't add up.

Who did your alignment? Normally, the tech will try find anything and everything that is slightly worn out of spec and require replacement of those items before they'll do the alignment, and wisely so.

You can also just go ahead and add me in the "8.5 inch shackle has got to go" crowd. Replace those beaver teeth and see how she handles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.