Front end / Steering Problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Front end / Steering Problem

Just bought a 95 YJ with VERY sloppy steering. Have replaced upper & lower ball joints, tie rods, steering gear and added a stabilizer. Still wanders. Have ordered upper and lower shackle bushings (but I'm not counting on that to fix it) just ran out of things to replace. I'm approaching the point of removing the lift kit to see if that helps. HELP: any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 05:40 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What you haven't said you checked yet was the toe-in.

Seeing as how this is your first post and you haven't filled out any Jeep info to help us help you, lets see if you come back before we fall all over ourselves troubleshooting your issue.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 06:39 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

More about your lift and shackles would be helpful. I had 5" springs and just about everything new as do you. But springs that high just flat out will not give you stock steering.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

post #4 of 17 Old 03-09-2019, 09:02 PM
wizekrakr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Jack the front wheels off the ground and grab your tire or hub and look for slop in the unit bearings. The unit bearings are the assembly that supports the stub axle at the steering knuckle. Just one more check.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, had the front end aligned. Tech said it didn't take much adjustment. And it still wanders down the road. I'll check the unit bearings, good tip......thanks
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Feetwet: system won't let me add my jeep info, so........95 Wrangler YJ (I've had it a week - my first Jeep) 2.5 / 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, 33 in Off Road tires and a 4 in Lift Kit ( I think).
post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My Jeep

Photo of my Jeep
Attached Thumbnails
95 wrangler.jpg  
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Boojo35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Steering shaft can have play in it. Drag link also. You could also have play in the rear. Loose U- bolts..... on and on.

The tech that aligned your vehicle could have just aligned it til it was green on the screen and called it good. A vehicle can be "green" or within specs but still not handle well. It may not have enough toe in to compensate for bigger tires. Not all people who do alignments understand them.

Wide tires can wander badly in pavement that has grooves from the weight of vehicles. They can depending on the tire brand also wander like crazy on road seams.

Your frame may have cracks or weak spots. Rusted through spots. Flex at the steering gear box area. etc.

So many possibilities. You need to slow down. Put it on a hoist or jacks and have a real trained eye look it over with you or do tons of research and pay close attention to instructions given to you.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 04:07 PM
Feetwet
Enjoying the Ride

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you came back, and Welcome.
Nice looking Jeep, us 95ers need to look out for each other.

Good info above, particularly Unit bearings and toe-in.

Search "Chalk Test" on this forum for best tire pressure.

Follow this link to check/adjust toe in.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/...gnment-994928/

You can check/adjust the toe-in in your driveway with basic hand tools using that method.

Please keep this thread updated with your progress so others may benefit.

Fight Crime...Shoot Back

Friends don't let friends roll over without a negative-G strap

post #10 of 17 Old 03-10-2019, 04:30 PM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperkins View Post
Photo of my Jeep
that jeep is unsalvageable.

sloppy steering, leak under it. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands. Save you the trouble.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #11 of 17 Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

How long are your front shackles?

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #12 of 17 Old 03-11-2019, 09:13 AM
bruinjeeper
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
How long are your front shackles?
Good point. Look like they are about 2" over stock in length.

Stop whining about the 'ride' - If your YJ ain't wrangling your soul free, then might I suggest you buy a stationwagon... at least you can fit all your bull**** in the back.
~YJOTM MAY '16~
post #13 of 17 Old 03-11-2019, 10:11 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinjeeper View Post
that jeep is unsalvageable.

sloppy steering, leak under it. I'll do you a favour and take it off your hands. Save you the trouble.
yeah, we all know the only reason you want it is b/c of the tubies!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #14 of 17 Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My front shackles are 8 1/2 inches long. Don't know what stock shackles measure.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
leeperkins
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bruinjeeper: No leaks !!! Nice chrome tubes all around. Come get it, bring money.
Attached Thumbnails
95 YJ.jpg   95 wrangler.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in