Ford F-150 front axle radius arms and coils? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ford F-150 front axle radius arms and coils?

So as you may have seen, I messed up my front axle wheeling and I'm going through the multitude of options for a front axle upgrade.

Rather than trying to take a coiled axle back to leaf springs, maybe I can take a leaf spring frame and convert it to work with a coiled axle. One idea that just came to mind was to use the radius arms on the 76-79 F-150 D44 axle and convert my front leaf springs to a budget coil setup. The way I see it, I would need to fab a mount for the radius arms on the frame and add a track bar mount. Then probably buy some 4-5" TJ front coils, frame coil buckets, and make the shocks work somehow (maybe some F-150 shock towers which I already have).

I'm attaching a pic of what a Ford radius arm D44 looks like for reference. Am I missing anything? I suspect they won't flex as well as a 3 link setup or even a TJ long arm kit but I was kinda thinking they may flex better than my Crown SOA leaf springs.

Am I missing something?

Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 10:56 AM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Iíve seen a guy use Range Rover discovery radius arms on a J10 for a coil set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #3 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep View Post
Iíve seen a guy use Range Rover discovery radius arms on a J10 for a coil set up.

Any idea how it did though?

post #4 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 PM
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
Any idea how it did though?

Try this:

http://www.fullsizejeep.com/1024/pics/coils/index.html

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
post #5 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 02:05 PM
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was using an Early Bronco Dana 44 axle in a Jeepster, and was considering using the radius arms (I went with 3 link and coilovers instead). All the Early Bronco vendors have the frame side parts and radius arms for sale. Look at WildHorses4x4.com or one of the others.

You'll likely want the extended radius arms for better flex. Also, you'll have to figure out the track bar, which won't be as easy as you think it will be because of the factory Ford steering box geometry (outside the frame), and the large area taken up by the radius arm ends and bushings, and because of the track bar pivot location on the axle (if you use the stock location). It will likely be tough to get good track bar geometry, and then you'll end up with bump steer.

If you want first hand knowledge, call Del at PartsMike. He's got Ford radius arms on his YJ. He worked there back in 2017, and I don't know if he is still there. http://www.partsmike.com/index.php

post #6 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like front drive shaft issues too.

With the yoke being where it is, my guess is you'd have the drive shaft contacting the exhaust and/or possibly the tranny bellhousing while flexing.

I've dealt with these type issues while installing a transplanted Spydertrax's Hi9 and again when using a transplanted Currie Hi9 in a couple different Jeeps. Whereas the housing was too close to center & not offset enough. There's ways to deal with it, but none of them are much fun & can cost some coin & time to remedy.
RevScott likes this.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Awesome

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Question:

Would it not be (far) easier to simply cut all of the coil stuff off the axle, weld two spring perches to it and call it good?

The 4th 5-seater YJ in the world.
post #8 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Looks like front drive shaft issues too.

With the yoke being where it is, my guess is you'd have the drive shaft contacting the exhaust and/or possibly the tranny bellhousing while flexing.

I've dealt with these type issues while installing a transplanted Spydertrax's Hi9 and again when using a transplanted Currie Hi9 in a couple different Jeeps. Whereas the housing was too close to center & not offset enough. There's ways to deal with it, but none of them are much fun & can cost some coin & time to remedy.
I feel like that'd be an issue no matter what though but I haven't read of anyone having problems. Granted I've got a V8 so it could be a different ball game.

Either way, I don't think I'm going to go down this road. Plenty of people seem to say they work well and the flex is actually pretty good. However, they also say that the biggest issue with radius arms is wheel hop and I definitely don't want that.

post #9 of 25 Old 10-08-2019, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Question:

Would it not be (far) easier to simply cut all of the coil stuff off the axle, weld two spring perches to it and call it good?
Yeah it would... It's just one of those brain storming moments when getting the axle I want is proving more difficult which makes me look in different places for another solution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

post #10 of 25 Old 10-09-2019, 06:05 PM
shaggyjim
Joy can be found anywhere

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it would be ideal and if it were me I would just go all the way to the three link, you most of the way there already. Have you looked at a wide track grand waggy dana 44 yet? Its leaf and about the correct width.

Jim...

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"
......YJOTM June 18......
post #11 of 25 Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
I don't think it would be ideal and if it were me I would just go all the way to the three link, you most of the way there already. Have you looked at a wide track grand waggy dana 44 yet? Its leaf and about the correct width.
Yeah I agree on the 3 link but I'll probably just stick to leafs for now. There are actually several waggy or J truck axles near me. However, I broke the gears in a D30 HP so I don't feel like going to a LP D44 is much of an upgrade in terms of my weakest link. I also think I'd probably have to clearance my flat skid for the driveshaft angle of a LP.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hereís my 1979 F-150 Dana 44. Just did the swap.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #13 of 25 Old 10-10-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Hereís my 1979 F-150 Dana 44. Just did the swap.

79? How'd you get around the cast in wedges?

post #14 of 25 Old 10-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waternut View Post
79? How'd you get around the cast in wedges?

The F-150ís used leafs for Ď78-79. Mineís a 5 lug but the F-250ís have a larger 8 lug. Both are high pinion also.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #15 of 25 Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Waternut

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
The F-150ís used leafs for Ď78-79. Mineís a 5 lug but the F-250ís have a larger 8 lug. Both are high pinion also.

Oh you got the super cab axle....you lucky dog!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in