Ford 9" Swap w/PICS - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Apollo12227

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ford 9" Swap w/PICS

So, with all the 8.8 swaps everywhere I figured I would take a different route, just for fun. I purchased a ford 9" axle from a guy for $100.00... It came with coil spring setup, drum brakes and rust everywhere. It had 2.73 gears with an open diff.

There was a lot of work to be done... Below is a picture a couple days after I got it, I swapped some ford 8.8 disc brake brackets onto it to confirm the rumor that 8.8 disc brakes bolt onto a ford 9" rear end. Turns out this is only true if you have the "big bearing" ford 9" which uses a larger diameter axle bearing and has 2.5" backspacing between axle shaft and housing flange.

So there was a lot of work to be done, spent a couple days cutting off all of the garbage (coil brackets, short arm brackets, etc...). I got the entire housing shaved down to shiny metal, and primer'd it... I didn't get a picture of the whole thing primed up, but you can see the primer in the blow picture as I mounted the 8.8 caliper and rotor to tripple check fitment.

After confirming 100% that I was going to be able to have disc brakes, I welded on my spring perches, bought a cheap angle finder from lowes to make sure I got the driveshaft pointed strait at the t-case, then dropped 2-3 degrees. The below pictures don't show the final angle, those are my attempt to get a shot of the driveshaft with zero degrees coming off the pinion.

I thew some black semi-metalic paint on the housing. After finishing up the welding.

Now that the housing was polished up, it was time for the big money... I ordered a detroit locker, richmond ring/pinion install kit, motive gear 4.56 gears, and a 1310 yoke...

Next came the gear install... Got a friend to help me out! I'll post some pictures of the gear install in a while... Got to upload to photobucket tonight.

I havn't quite installed it all of the way yet, I've got to play with the brake lines a bit but other than that, below is the painted, sealed, and fluid filled ford 9" rear end, it's ready to bolt in with disc brakes and 4.56 gears with a detroit locker.

Sooooo.... I'll get some more pictures of the build soon, including the yoke, gears, install kit, and final install onto the heep. I plan on completing the swap this weekend if time permits!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Douglas S.

Do you know what the original donor vehicle was?

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 AM
moonshinefuel

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am speechless! You don't even really need words, just posting pictures says everything. Awesome factor: 10.

post #4 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like one of those lincoln car units. Sounds like it with the coils, the width looking similar to the 35 and those 2.73 gears. This is a common swap into drag cars. Was it a 28 spline unit?

Your limited slip differential sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
post #5 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
YJake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It came out of a Ford Grenada, 28 spline.

Can't wait until we finally get that thing bolted up Apollo!

Jake

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-_
()_) ()_)[email protected]=)_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post

Jake
Did you convert it to 31 spline?

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
post #7 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
YJake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
Did you convert it to 31 spline?
No, he just put in a 28 spline Detroit Locker. No real point in converting.

Jake

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-_
()_) ()_)[email protected]=)_)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Apollo12227

1992 YJ Wrangler 

31 spline is definatly stronger but ordering custom thirty one spline shafts wasn't my top priority, if I ever break the 28 spline I'll swap over to 31 but my buddy with a 28 spline full spool nine inch with thirty sevens and a boared out 350 hasn't managed to break his twenty eight spline mustang shafts.

This came out of a galaxie or Granada and is the new style big bearing nine inch which has much thicker hardware, axle bearings, and shafts so my 28 spline shafts are almost the same OD as the 31 spline bronco shafts because new style big bearing is a much bigger axle then the thinner housing small bearing mustang axles.
I'll have more pics of the final install up soon
post #9 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
1 ton yj

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
Do you know what the original donor vehicle was?
Looks like a Lincoln Versailles (sp)
post #10 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
31 spline is definatly stronger but ordering custom thirty one spline shafts wasn't my top priority, if I ever break the 28 spline I'll swap over to 31 but my buddy with a 28 spline full spool nine inch with thirty sevens and a boared out 350 hasn't managed to break his twenty eight spline mustang shafts.

This came out of a galaxie or Granada and is the new style big bearing nine inch which has much thicker hardware, axle bearings, and shafts so my 28 spline shafts are almost the same OD as the 31 spline bronco shafts because new style big bearing is a much bigger axle then the thinner housing small bearing mustang axles.
I'll have more pics of the final install up soon
Well the axle shafts (28 and 31) are the same OD until you get to the splined section. The 28 splines are tapered down for the smaller spline count and 31s ares not. Guess where they break. Theres a big difference in strength.
As for your buddys truck, i imagine the type of wheeling you do down there is a lot different than what we do up here to be sure. But my unbored bone stock 2.5 has managed to snap the stock 28 spline shafts as well as a set of yukon chromos and twist the splines on a pair of Moser chromos with a measely set of 35" MTs.

Not trying to pee on your parade at all, looks like a heck of a job you did on the swap. But I wasted a lot of cash on a 28 spline detroit and a couple sets of chromos. Just hate to see someone else make the same mistake. A 31 spline detroit and a $340~ set of moser chromos and i was done with it. Best of luck to you

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Last edited by MLJeeper; 04-07-2010 at 11:54 AM.
post #11 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
MLJeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
Looks like a Lincoln Versailles (sp)
Thats what i was thinking, those were a real popular swap for the early stangs. But it cant be a versaille, because they had the disc brakes.

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Last edited by MLJeeper; 04-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.
post #12 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 08:36 PM
bmgadg

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post

Jake
Um he already said it's from a Grenada.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgadg View Post
Um he already said it's from a Grenada.
Where do you see that?

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Louie4
Web Wheeler

1935 CJ2A 

Looks like an awesome build. How was the gear install on the third member? I've seen my buddies attempt to set the gears in their Toyota's and Suzuki's, it's definitely easier when then chunk is sitting on a table.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #15 of 31 Old 04-08-2010, 06:23 AM
fyrdriver
1983 CJ7 

Apollo, where do you measure for the 2.5" backspacing on the axle? Is it the distance between the outer edge of the housing flange and inner edge of the axle flange? My 9" has custom 35 spline axles and I was told the backspace probably wouldn't allow the explorer brakes. Thanks.
BTW the axle looks good. If you want/need later you can always upgrade axles, locker, HI9, etc...

--------------------------------------------------
Firefighters Jeep Club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in