Fold and Tumble Bolt Size - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-22-2021, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
burley

1976 CJ5 

Fold and Tumble Bolt Size

Anyone know what the bolt size is for the Fold and Tumble brackets that go into the floor? I just replaced a back seat and it didn't come with hardware. Do the bolts have nuts or screw into the floor/supports? I've found the bolts for sale online, but they dont list size. I'm just going to buy them locally at a hardware store, not paying $20+ for fancy Jeep bolts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-22-2021, 07:52 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burley View Post
Anyone know what the bolt size is for the Fold and Tumble brackets that go into the floor? I just replaced a back seat and it didn't come with hardware. Do the bolts have nuts or screw into the floor/supports? I've found the bolts for sale online, but they dont list size. I'm just going to buy them locally at a hardware store, not paying $20+ for fancy Jeep bolts.
If you are talking about the seat risers and the 2 each bolts that hold them to the tub, they screw into captured nuts on the body. Exact size, I do not know.

91 YJ "Alice"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #3 of 14 Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
burley

1976 CJ5 

I'm talking about the back seat, forward facing brackets that that allow the seat to flip forward on a hinge. See attached photo. It seems like there are nuts in the body, I just dont want to go back and forth 100 times at the hardware store or buy 30 different kinds to bring home.

I found a seller on ebay selling a set and he responded that his are " 3/8"-16 x 7/8" Hex Flange bolts Grade 8". I cant believe he told me the size, who would pay some guy on ebay $20 for something you could get locally, same day, for $5.

In any case, I'll pick these up to see if they fit, but if anyone else can confirm it would help.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-23-2021, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
burley

1976 CJ5 

3/8"-16 x 7/8 worked perfectly, once I cleaned out the rusty holes. I used 1 1/4" long, but the 7/8" probably would have worked fine. The holes have threads, so no nut needed.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
3/8"-16 x 7/8 worked perfectly, once I cleaned out the rusty holes. I used 1 1/4" long, but the 7/8" probably would have worked fine. The holes have threads, so no nut needed.
If you area is in the rust belt, in your travels hit fastenal and buy black grade 8 flanged bolts. Were USA made and too much money. But… The metallurgy won’t rust as fast as the tractor supply and other chain crap hardware. Don’t ask how I know.

Anyways, that’s (I hope) why them there bolts on fleabay were $20. I would guess they contained molybdenum, nickel, chrome and USA steel.

[size=“3”]Shackles & D-rings are different things.
Cranking IS turning over
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2021, 07:00 AM
Delta0

Quote:
I'm talking about the back seat, forward facing brackets that that allow the seat to flip forward on a hinge. See attached photo. It seems like there are nuts in the body, I just dont want to go back and forth 100 times at the hardware store or buy 30 different kinds to bring home.

I found a seller on ebay selling a set and he responded that his are " 3/8"-16 x 7/8" Hex Flange bolts Grade 8". I cant believe he told me the size, who would pay some guy on ebay $20 for something you could get locally, same day, for $5.

In any case, I'll pick these up to see if they fit, but if anyone else can confirm it would help.
If you are going off road, I suggest you get a higher grade.
Price difference is insignificant.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2021, 08:54 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0 View Post
If you are going off road, I suggest you get a higher grade.
Price difference is insignificant.
Higher than Grade 8? Like a Grade 9? for a rear seat mounted to a pinch plate captured nut on sheet metal?

I don't follow.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2021, 06:27 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Higher than Grade 8? Like a Grade 9? for a rear seat mounted to a pinch plate captured nut on sheet metal?

I don't follow.
Me either. Grade 8 is the hardest...... or so I thought. Maybe we are about to learn something new.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-02-2021, 05:44 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
Quote:

I don't follow.
Me either. Grade 8 is the hardest...... or so I thought. Maybe we are about to learn something new.
It might have been sarcasm? ???

OEM were grade 5 weren’t they?
Either way, the tracterShuply bolts are adequate for grade 8- their alloys, however, suck compared to USA, Deutschland, or some Japanese and Taiwan bolts. On my 89 the oem bolts still come out but the tractor supply stuff went awful in under two years time.

Cranking IS turning over
post #10 of 14 Old 08-02-2021, 02:50 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post

Either way, the tracterShuply bolts are adequate for grade 8- their alloys, however, suck compared to USA, Deutschland, or some Japanese and Taiwan bolts. On my 89 the oem bolts still come out but the tractor supply stuff went awful in under two years time.
I doubt they were grade 5 for seatbelts or mounting. But cannot confirm.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #11 of 14 Old 08-02-2021, 04:48 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I do not recall ever seeing a seatbelt bolt that is stamped properly (which our torx bolts are not) that was anything other than a grade 8 bolt.

And for what it is worth. Sarcasm from @Luuca ??? No way.. He is as straight and serious as they come.

post #12 of 14 Old 08-02-2021, 05:57 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

1986 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boojo35 View Post
I do not recall ever seeing a seatbelt bolt that is stamped properly (which our torx bolts are not) that was anything other than a grade 8 bolt.

And for what it is worth. Sarcasm from @Luuca ??? No way.. He is as straight and serious as they come.
Grade 9 structural bolts, also known as grade 9 hex cap screws, are one the strongest structural bolts that can be used today. While the typical grade 8 bolt has a tensile strength of 150,000 PSI, a grade 9 bolt has a tensile strength of 180,000PSI.

91 YJ "Alice"
YJOTM Sept. 2017

post #13 of 14 Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Grade 9 structural bolts, also known as grade 9 hex cap screws, are one the strongest structural bolts that can be used today. While the typical grade 8 bolt has a tensile strength of 150,000 PSI, a grade 9 bolt has a tensile strength of 180,000PSI.
Oh... Those things. I never realized that they are grade 9....

You saved my day buddy. I try to learn at least one new thing every day. Today was coming up empty, man.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 AM
fishadventure
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post

I doubt they were grade 5 for seatbelts or mounting. But cannot confirm.
Ok. I do know mine are hex grade 8 /now/ lol

Cranking IS turning over

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in