• 1 Post By bruinjeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
andresatencio
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Flywheel grind on startup

Hey all,
Starting my jeep the last few days, every third start or so i get a horrible grind from the flywheel when I engage the starter, it seems the starter engages the flywheel, grinds and gets stuck all in the same key turn. I release the key and try again and it gets out of it and starts right up.

Do I have a chipped tooth (or teeth) in my flywheel?

I've gone through 3 starters this year, and replaced the flywheel 2 years ago when I replaced the engine.

I'm wondering if this engine really came out of a 93 yj, or maybe a 95, because at the parts store, the starters have different number of teeth.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 AM
Tompatt

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would get under the jeep and look at the starter maybe it came lose and is eating into the flywheel? After my starter fell out of my jeep on a drive I learned to use loctite on all the starter bolts. See if it's moving or angled.

Thomas
-1987 YJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2016, 05:34 PM
bruinjeeper
Moderation in Moderation

1995 YJ Wrangler 

unsure and haven't done much research on the topic.... but it may have a shim and not require it.... or require a shim and not have it.

Think this is pertinent to certain years/models. SOmeone else will surely chime in on this
Chrisnvegas likes this.

~YJOTM MAY '16, JULY '19~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-28-2016, 02:13 PM
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

A very common problem. Some starter motors mount with metric bolts and some use SAE bolts. It often happens that somewhere along the line someone used an SAE bolt in a metric hole, or vice-versa. It seems that the bolts are tight but they cannot handle the torque of the starter motor and the starter wiggles enough to move the starter pinion too far from the ring gear on the flywheel or flexplate.

The teeth on your flywheel or flexplate are fine. Make sure that you have the right bolt in the right threaded hole and that the threads are not half eaten away.

The fix is simple: a helicoil. It takes five minutes and can be done under the vehicle with no disassembly save for removing the starter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in